2.3

2009 Mini Cooper engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Mini Cooper:

2009 Mini Cooper Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Feb 032014

Cooper

Upon the engine heating and cooling the plastic gasket on th eengine oil cooler can get pinched, causing an oil leak. MINIcoopers in prior years - 2002-2007 had the same issue and MINIhad a recall. If I spend the $1,800 to get the repair the next time the engine heats up and cools - the gasket could become pinched again - thus causing a leak. MINIcooper of atlanta is yes this could happen and I would have to get it repaired again. MINIcooper needs to ensure the 2 plates of the metal oil cooler are secure and cannot expand and shrink - upon engine usage. This is the same manufacturing flaw MINIcooper had in 2002 - 2007 - so why hasn't MINIcooper been told to fix their problem - verses throwing the responsibility to the customer?

- Suwanee, GA, USA

Apr 122015

Cooper 4-cyl

Engine ceased while traveling on highway. Previously took car to MINIdealer when engine light was on and was told that the engine light was probably on because of the gas cap and their was nothing to worry about.

- Newburyport, MA, USA

Apr 292015

Cooper 4-cyl

Rattling noise from the passenger side of the engine. Took to MINItiming chain was stretched out. 2000K fix car has less than 84K miles. Had the same problem about 13 months ago. Said it was the tensioner but chain was fine. That was at 64K miles. In 13months spent 3K on the same issue.

- Knoxville , TN, USA

Apr 172015

Cooper

I took my MINICooper to passport MINIin montgomery county Maryland for the hpfp failing where they changed it and then told me that the turbo oil feed line is leaking and that the timing chain had stretched and was going to fail. After I told them that I know that they have had problems and complained some they said that they would cover 30% of the chain replacement and a complete detail of my car and that they were being "generous". I explained to them that I wanted my defective chain fixed not a car wash. After reading this website I am hoping to get the oil feed line replaced too. It to is very well documented. If it goes up in flames while my wife and daughter are in the car which one of the executives at MINIor BMW will write me to apologize for this? this totally unacceptable behavior for a company. Lawyers wont help MINIwont help BMW wont help. No one wants to do the right thing for the consumer anymore! all of us deserve to be treated fairly. This is why we have government, for times like this when the big companies run us over and laugh at us!

- Frederick, MD, USA

Feb 142014

Cooper

Leaking turbo oil feed line and failing timing chain.

- Frederick, MD, USA

Jan 152015

Cooper 4-cyl

Air bag warning light comes on while driving. BMW North America had issued a recall for the 2005 - 2008 models, but not affected 2009 (2008 production date) models. Persistent oil leaks from and around oil filter housing and turbo oil lines. Oil leaks directly on exhaust manifold down pipe, potentially starting a fire, hasn't yet, but there has been plenty of smoke and in one instance, a small flare-up when oil dripped on the pipe as the car was idling in the garage after a short trip.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Apr 162015

Cooper

The contact owns a 2009 MINICooper S. while driving at 45 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 113,000.....updated 07/22/15

- East Killingly, CT, USA

Mar 182015

Cooper

I was driving on the road, and suddenly I saw the car start to stop in the middle of the road, and I saw the smoke coming out of engine.the diagnostic was the engine totally is collapsing, and need new engine.

- New Hope, PA, USA

Mar 202015

Cooper 4-cyl

Timing chain, went, ,the dealer said it was the self adjusting timing chain, if it self adjusts there must be a manufacture defect, ,looked on line and from 2007-2009 500,000 car had the same problem the cost to fix is $2200 dealer said not worth fixing and sent me to look at a new car.

- Jacksoon, NJ, USA

Mar 112015

Cooper 4-cyl

A few weeks after I bought the vehicle, I noticed that there was a noise when starting the engine cold. This "rattling" noise would continue until the engine heated up & go away. I took the car in they changed the oil & told me that the coolant was low. He asked if the car was overheating which it was not. He told me to keep a close eye to see if the car overheats. I made an appointment to take the car to a local mechanic just to be safe. A few days later, driving 65mph on the freeway I noticed smoke coming out of my exhaust & the hood, closer to the windshield not the front by the radiator. Smoke started coming from the vents and smelled "rubbery". the thermostat symbol appeared & then the oil light. I took it to carmax who said "sry, no extended warranty, no help". I took it to the local mechanic. He told me initially that the thermostat was blown and there was a material failure of the housing (it was cracked), he replaced all the pipes from the coolant: $482. The mechanic called & said that he could not "burp" the vehicle & that it made a weird sound so they have to "bleed it overnight". this did not solve the issue so they had to take the engine apart & find the problem. The head casket was blown & quoted me a repair bill of $5000+.the owner of the shop called BMW and asked if they could do a "good faith" replacement which they said they would do if the car had less than 80,000 miles on it... mine had 85,000 miles on it... from what I am reading on the complaint board, this is a very common issue!! as a rn if there is a failure in any product we implant in patients, there is an immediate recall, so why, when BMW clearly knows this is an issue do they wait for hard-working people like me to be put in this horrible situation!!! I hope that BMW steps up an honor it's "good faith" beyond 80,000 miles and replace the car.

- Grass Valley , CA, USA

Mar 032015

Cooper

The contact owns a 2009 MINICooper. While making a right turn at approximately 5 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. After several attempts, the vehicle was able to be restarted and resumed normal operation. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred on several occasions. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. The VIN was unavailable.

- Santa Isabel, PR, USA

Mar 052015

Cooper 4-cyl

I stopped at a red light on a busy city street. The MINICooper S engine stopped running and would not start. That day was heavy snow and the roads were very difficult to drive on. I could not move the car. After sometime waiting on a tow truck the four way flashers quit working. Fortunately no one ran into the car. I disrupted traffic for about an hour until the police were able to push the car off the road. The car was towed to the MINIdealer and it was determined the timing chain broke. The car only has 32,000 miles on it. Researching, I see that many MINIowners have experienced the timing chain failing. My 17 year old daughter usually drives this car. I am glad I was driving it when this happened and fortunate the car was not moving when the engine failed.

- Monroeville, PA, USA

Feb 032015

Cooper 4-cyl

Leak in turbo oil line due to cracks in plastic O-ring. After hundreds of heat cycles, the O-ring cooks its self and starts to leak oil onto the turbo. It seems to me that the product recall and installation of the oil line heat shield by ntsb should have also included recall and replacement of the turbo oil line. The oil line heat shield has not solved the problem of the baked O-ring in the turbo oil line and therefore the turbo oil line should be covered under manufacturer recall/defect!

- San Ramon, CA, USA

Jan 282015

Cooper 4-cyl

2009 MINICooper S - I, like so many other MINIcooper owners, have just fallen victim to the "death rattle" of the [known by BMW] defective/faulty and non-recalled timing chain issue. It's absurd that we continue to expose this far too common defect of a product that was originally deemed as a "non-service" item good for the operating life of the engine. Most owners experience problems within the first 50,000 miles. I purchased this well maintained (at a local MINIdealer) MINIfrom a private party just days after they performed an expensive 'walnut treatment' to clear out excessive carbon build up. Within 100mi of this service, the 'death rattle' starts. I am now being told that it will run just over $2400 (I've uncovered about $400 in total parts) to correct an issue BMW has been hiding behind for years; they've even issued a warning to service advisors to not re-install the defective parts, but deny the part to actually be defective or in need of recall. When will anyone stand up for the little guy, the consumer, and demand this well known, often occurring, extremely expensive and potentially dangerous defect be corrected at the cost of the manufacturer? I now have an $11,500 paper weight.

- Plano, TX, USA

Jan 132015

Cooper 4-cyl

The engine was rattling heavily when the car ignition was on around 5 pm at the workplace parking lot. In the meantime, the check engine light was flashing. The car failed to deliver the power to the transmission. A few days late, my car was towed to a local dealership and diagnosed with leak oil from one of timing belt tensioners and a broken tensioner. The dealership had to replace the broken one with a new timing belt kit together with tensioners as a goodwill from the MINICooper usa (85% warranty deductible). Even though, I felt the quality of this important engine parts was unacceptable with such a low mileage on the car. The timing belt of this model was a metal chain located inside the engine box and supposed to last life-long without worry. I was lucky that this incident happened just in the parking lot. I could not imagine potential consequences if this incident happens while driving on the highway. I sincerely believe the manufacture BMW/MINIshould be fully responsible for such a defect product and a proper action by the manufacture should be considered to avoid such an incident happening to other customers who own this model.

- Gaithersburg, MD, USA

Dec 172014

Cooper 4-cyl

My timing chain has now started to fail for the 4th time on this car. The timing chain tensioners fail and MINIdoes nothing to correct the issue past the warranty period.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jan 092015

Cooper

My vehicle experienced sudden loss of power without warning while on the interstate at full speed and was unable to be restarted. Luckily traffic was very light and I was able to guide my vehicle safely to the shoulder but the vehicle would not start. The temperature outside was around 15 degrees Fahrenheit. It took over 2 hours for a two truck to arrive and my wife and I were lucky enough to have an emergency kit in the vehicle and were able to use the included space blanket to survive the freezing temperatures. Based on what happened I am certain that my vehicles timing chain had broken resulting in the loss of power and inability to start. This particular vehicle model has a known issue with this. My vehicle has had this issue before and was serviced by the dealer since it was recognized before any dangerous situations arose but this time I was not so lucky. The manufacturer is aware of this design flaw but refuses to accept any responsibility or properly fix it. My wife and I would have called emergency services but were told by the tow service that we would be helped sooner than what actually happened. I feel that this known manufacturers defect put me and my wife's lives at risk.

- Saint Peters, MO, USA

Nov 062013

Cooper 4-cyl

My timing chain was replaced and has an issue with the tension exactly one year later.

- Staten Island , NY, USA

Oct 042014

Cooper 4-cyl

Once you search the 'death rattle' on google, you can get lots of info about what is going on and the death rattle is really common on the R56. It is really a common problem and MINIshould take the responsibility of that.

- Blacksburg, VA, USA

Aug 152014

Cooper 4-cyl

Took vehicle in for installation of the heat shield for turbo feed line. This is a recall and newly installed part to protect the turbo feed line due to overheating. Once it was installed I was informed that the turbo line is failing and the dealer wants to charge me $1500 to repair the leaking line. The failure of the line is obviously due to excessive heat around this line... the same reason they are installing a heat shield. This is ridiculous and the item should be recalled and replaced!

- Morgran Hill, CA, USA