2010 Mini Cooper engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Mini Cooper:

2010 Mini Cooper Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Sep 122013

Engine timing chain rattle.

Sep 122013

Engine timing chain rattle.

Sep 122014

Timing chain rattle.

Jun 102014

Cooper 4-cyl

Engine seized while driving on the 6-lane highway during rush hour traffic. Just a sudden complete loss of power, all vehicle operation stopped. Fortunately, I was on the outside lane, and I was at an exit that went down hill, so I coasted down the off ramp before it rolled to a complete stop. Some bystanders assisted me in pushing the vehicle off the side of the busy 4-lane road. Turns out it is the timing chain problem with many MINIcoopers, 2007 - 2012. There is a faulty or missing part, that if not addressed, results in "catastrophic engine failure". my vehicle had 50K miles on it; I purchased it new, so I have all vehicle records, all recommended maintenance performed; all recalls performed, and my records are 100% complete. The real kicker is - my service records clearly show that several times I reported a "rattle" from the engine (while under warranty) as far back as 2012. And the service records indicate that the dealership "could not duplicate customer complaint of rattle". the notorious "rattle" is the first symptom of this engine flaw that can result in catastrophic engine damage, and it was known by the auto industry in 2012. Cost - $8K, complete engine replacement required. Dealership and BMW deny any wrong doing, and deny any knowledge of the "engine" issue. Following the incident, I spent a month of my time trying to figure out what happened, why, had it towed to three places, lots of phone calls, research, etc. Luckily no one died. This was a very dangerous situation to be in, and the people that stopped to help me push the car were very brave. I looked pretty pathetic I am sure - lone, petite female trying to push a car on a very busy 4-lane road during rush hour, in 90 degree heat. Lucky for BMW/MINIthat no one died. I guess that is exactly what it will take to force them to recognize this problem.

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

Jan 292014

Cooper 4-cyl

MINICooper 2010. Starting/stalling issues. Car doesn't start. It happened a couple of months ago as well. Car has been towed 1 and brought to prestige MINIin NJ (car dealer) for service 3 times. After replacing battery and an engine sensor, the problem persist. The car will be towed again today (Jan 30, 2014) for further costly repairs. I have extended warranty and maintenance on this car but even with that, the cost of repairs and towing are not covered. This is a very poor, unreliable car (MINICooper 2010). Responsiveness from prestige MINIis also very poor. Service manager doesn't respond to calls or return voice mails. Very poor service.

- Metuchen, NJ, USA

Dec 302013

Cooper 4-cyl

At about 42000 miles, I started to notice a rattle coming from the engine when the engine was first started. The rattle was most noticeable between 2000 and 3000 RPM. This rattle also coincided with the weather turning colder. The rattle continued to worsen over time, an oil leak developed, and the check engine light eventually came on. After searching the internet and calling my MINIdealership, I determined that the timing chain tensioner was most likely at fault. I ordered the part and replaced it myself. During the process of replacing the tensioner, I found that the old tensioner was loose in its socket. After replacing the part, the engine ran smoothly and continues to run smoothly.

- Nantucket, MA, USA

Dec 092013

Cooper 4-cyl

We were driving the car at 20 mph and the check engine light came on. We pulled over to the side of the road and did not note any problems. We then drove directly to the MINIdealership nearby and they said the head gasket seal was broken a leaking oil. Also they said the timing chain and belt tensioner needed to be replaced as they were loose. No repairs were ever performed on these parts. It was noted that there was build up in the oil lines to the turbo causing it to seize up and needed to be replaced. Total costs were $3,000 for parts and labor.

- Apo, AE, USA

Nov 202013

Cooper 4-cyl

Engine seemed to be lacking power intermittently driving to work. Felt something was wrong, but no indicator lights displayed so I continued driving. Noticed heater began blowing cold air, yellow warning light came on indicating engine was beginning to overheat. Within 10 seconds, red warning light replaced the first light (engine overheating!). continued on until I could safely stop. Called wrecker to take to repair shop. Found coolant & oil had exploded from engine with visible crack in the plastic housing. Thankfully, car was still under warranty. MINIdealership honored the warranty. Stated the vacuum pump had failed causing catastrophic failure of the entire engine. Engine is being replaced.

- Springfield, MO, USA

Oct 172013

Cooper 4-cyl

Took my 2010 MINICooper S to a MINIdealership in ann arbor mi, where they had the car for 8 days and finally came back to me saying that its the timing chain that needs replacing, which is a fix with a total cost of around $1,500. I previously had a 2007 MINIcooper, which also had the same issue, where in that case the timing chain had actually broken. This issue seems to be widespread and MINIna needs to issue a recall on this particular part for the model years that this design defect has affected. Prior to this issue, I had only owned the vehicle for 6 weeks and was purchased from motor city MINIwhich is an official MINIdealer. This vehicle also went through an inspection before being sold to me.

- Royal Oak, MI, USA

Sep 092013

Cooper 4-cyl

Engine experience rapid oil loss which coated underside of vehicle including tires. When the brakes were applied the vehicle became unstable but I was able to avoid a crash. While pulling to the side of the highway the oil light came on. The vehicle was towed to a mechanic. He reported that a fastener on the cam chain tensioner had become loose which caused the leak. That part had never been modified or service. There was no leak when I began my commute. The problem occurred in only a few miles. Searching online forums indicates that this is not an isolated incident.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Nov 152012

Cooper 4-cyl

The car has a recall for water pump, never done until the car engine stop. Now the engine is totally lost. I think the car has a previous recall the timing chain tensor but never was done.

- Aibonito, PR, USA

Jun 062012

The contact owns a 2010 MINICooper. The contact stated that on two different occasions, two passengers sustained burns to their legs from the exhaust pipe while placing an item in the trunk. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer and the manufacturer was not contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 5,600 and the current mileage was 5,732.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jul 062012

Cooper 4-cyl

Oil level is decreasing rapidly after each oil change. Dealer states it is normal for this car to burn one quart of oil every 800 miles. However, I disagree and believe this is due to a defect since cars should not burn this much oil, especially when new.

- Berkeley, CA, USA