3.7

2013 Mini Cooper engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Mini Cooper:

2013 Mini Cooper Owner Comments

Mar 192016

Cooper

On Saturday March 19th, 2016 I experienced a major vehicle malfunction with my 2013 MINIpaceman S. while traveling nb on the 15 freeway in the #1 or fast lane, I slowed for traffic to a stop, immediately the car temperature light turned on and within seconds it changed to the half engine light. During this time I was able to turn the steering wheel 3 times to attempt to move the vehicle out of traffic lanes to prevent injury and the car died. The vehicle rolled out of the fast lane onto the shoulder where I sat with 3 children inside the car and immediately called for a tow truck. While waiting for the tow truck a chp (California highway patrol) officer pulled up behind me and contacted me at the driver window which I had rolled down. He asked what happened with the car and I explained that it had died. He asked me to move it to a safer location and I explained that I couldn┐T. he asked me to get out and he got into the driver seat to attempt to get the car into neutral. He was able to, and he pushed it maybe 5 feet down the slight slope. He used the emergency break to stop it and left it there to wait for the tow truck. Lack of a check engine light on a car with common failure items such as ┐leaking oil pump drive units┐ that allow the engine coolant to leak out should have an indicator light to prevent this type of problem before the problem is huge and can┐T be fixed. When was I supposed to know that the coolant was leaking out?

- Hemet, CA, USA

Oct 172013

Cooper 4-cyl

I purchased a MINICooper S 2013 and noticed the car was hard to handle on the road at all times. The service department had told me that was normal for this type of car. I kept complaining and they finally took the car in to have it checked. They told me it the alignment was bad and the tires needed to be replaced. I was charged for the service, but I believe this was a manufacture defect because the car was like that from the time I drove it off the lot until the time of service. This, is a very serious matter if not only one car is sold like this. Not to mention the whole engine was leaking oil and the backfiring.

- Gilroy, CA, USA