2014 Mini Cooper accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Mini Cooper:

2014 Mini Cooper Owner Comments

Dec 092014

Cooper 4-cyl

Driving to shopping center, I had my heated seat turned to the highest setting. It seemed as though the seat was unusually warm so I turned the seat down to the medium setting and continued driving. The seat continued to feel uncomfortable as I drove, so I turned it down to low, but it still did not cool down. It became alarmingly hot so I turned it off completely but it did not cool down. At this point I would have exited the car, but I was in heavy traffic in front of the mall. After parking I did my shopping and did not turn the seat on for the drive home. The next morning I discovered a 13 inch burn in the configuration of a wire on my left buttock and thigh. (picture taken) BMW report stated that they found nothing wrong with the seat and that it "performed as it was designed." They accepted no responsibility for my bodily injury.

- Pittston, PA, USA

Jun 222014

Cooper 4-cyl

There was no one sitting in the front passenger seat, but my ipod was on the seat. A "fasten seat belt" warning went off while I was driving at highway speeds. I had been driving for over 30 minutes when this happened. While driving, I removed the ipod from the seat, but the warning did not stop. Because it was not immediately possible to pull over, I had to ignore safety lights and chimes until I could pull over. Although this false warning has happened several times with light objects in the passenger seat, it does not happen consistently. The dealer insists the car is functioning properly, and suggested I leave the passenger seat belt fastened. I think this behavior is a safety concern because (1) it is a source of unpredictable driver distraction; (2) it encourages drivers to defeat a safety warning by leaving the passenger seat belt fastened; and (3) if the seat sensor can't distinguish between an ipod and a person, how can it give the proper readings to the air bag system in the event of a crash.

- Beverly Hills, MI, USA