7.3

2014 Mini Cooper engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Mini Cooper:

2014 Mini Cooper Owner Comments

Oct 192015

Cooper

I have a 2014 MINICooper hardtop. I have had this car serviced at least 4 separate times for a recurring issue. Today was very different and unexplainable. I was driving to work on the freeway, my car reaches speeds of 80 at least, but I had slowed to a crawl before the toll plaza. Traffic was the usual heavy traffic. I must have been going 5-10 mph in stop and go traffic. Suddenly, th car started bucking, like it was having trouble downshifting. This is the typical bucking it makes right before the "drive train malfunction: Drive moderately." Warning comes on. The engine started ticking (to me that is indicating lack or no oil). "drive train malfunction: Drive moderately." And "drop in oil pressure. Slow to a stop " warnings both came on. I pulled over 3 lanes quickly to the side of the freeway, shut the car off and hoped I was in a safe spot. When the tow truck operator came, he told me oil was underneath my car. Why would a car just spill oil out while driving ? im pretty scared of what has happened to my engine. Car is at the dealer, and I'm really not confident in this car. I have not been confident since all of the problems I have had since purchase.

- Alameda, CA, USA

Dec 012014

Cooper

Driving on the freeway, car lost oil pressure suddenly, oil poured out of vehicle, smoking as warning lights indicated "drive train malfunction" and then, "loss of oil pressure: Stop vehicle". diagnosed as a failure of a welding on the oil pump housing. MINIreplaced part and returned car to me. Within 1 mile, "drive train malfunction" ignited again. A week later, they reported that there were metal shavings in the oil and the engine needed to be replace. I sold it back to MINIas a lemon.

- Petaluma, CA, USA

Apr 032015

Cooper 4-cyl

While driving in the highway, the car suddenly started shaking and having loud clunking rattling noise. The exhaust was spewing heavy white smoke. The car suddenly slowed and then stopped with " drivetrain malfunction." We also got into an accident!

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jan 292015

Cooper 4-cyl

Oil filter housing failed during commute and lost all oil. Needed to have the car towed for repair. Received the car back next day. Failed part is currently subject of recall, but my car did not fall into the scope of the recall so I never received a notice. Two days after repair for the oil filter housing, the vanos system failed. Entire vanos system needed to be replaced, took a total of 6 days for repair.

- Cupertino, CA, USA

Jan 212015

Cooper

Vehicle lost all oil supposedly due to a faulty oil filter housing car stopped and was smoking.

- Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Jan 052015

Cooper 3-cyl

This would be the second time in which I have had to visit nick alexander imports of downtown los angeles, due to the malfunctioning of my vehicle, specifically the engine. The first time, my car had stalled on the freeway during rush hour time. The service specialist at the dealership attributed my car stalling as a system update issue and found that their was a recall on a vehicle part (a nut that secures the spare tire to the car that could become loose during driving), which he replaced. This second time, which was on January 5th, 2015, my car started to warn me that the "engine oil pressure was too low" and to stop my engine immediately. After a few minutes of parking my car, I noticed that there was a puddle of oil gathering under the upper portion of my vehicle. Once I was able to have my car inspected by the dealer's service specialist, I was notified that there was another recall on a part. This time it was the oil filter housing that cracked because it was "too weak". the splash shield and oil deflector also needed to be replaced. In both incidents I was placed in life threatening situations and can no longer feel confident that my MINICooper is safe to drive.

- La Crescenta, CA, USA

Jul 292014

Cooper 3-cyl

On two occasions (7/19/14 and 7/29/14), the engine cut-off, putting the car in "accessory mode." On both occasions, I was driving on a flat road, at low speed. There was no ability to drive the vehicle without completely stopping, putting the car in park, and restarting the car. As a result of being in accessory mode, I had no power steering and was only able to glide over to the side of the road. A message appeared on the car's screen: "transmission not in park, vehicle may roll." I purchased this vehicle 3 months ago. I am very concerned, and I don't feel safe driving this car. If this were to happen on a highway, there would certainly be a serious accident, as I would not be able to get the car to the shoulder. As evidenced in the GM ignition switch cases, when a car is switched into accessory mode while driving, the airbags are deactivated as well. Should this happen on a busy roadway/highway, and there is an accident, there is the potential that it could be fatal.

- Bronx, NY, USA