1. replace belt (1 reports)
1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse:

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Owner Comments

Aug 242015

Eclipse Spyder 4L Sohc

This is the 3rd time I've had to replace this same belt in the past 12 months.

I've tried different repair shops, thinking it was being over tightened, to no avail.

It strands us on the side of the road every time it breaks. (Just put nylons & a lighter in my glove box so I can jury rig a temporary belt next time, because I know there will be a next time...)

My 1996 Eclipse did not have this issue (it's transmission blew instead).

All in all, though, my Eclipses have been the best handling, lowest maintenance vehicles out of all I've driven, & I've driven a helluva lot of different vehicles (Ford Escort, Chevy Cavalier, Jeep Cherokee, Ford F-150, Dodge Aries, Chevy Silverado, Subaru Legacy, Ford Fiesta, Ford Focus, Chevy HHR, Jeep Wrangler, just to name a few)

- , Wenonah, NJ, USA