1. mitsubishi need to use a "heavy duty plug" that won't melt (1 reports)
2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse:

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Owner Comments

Dec 302015

Eclipse Spyder GT 3.0L V6

My headlights failed two months ago on a cross country trip, at night. Reset main breaker and let vehicle cool down. Was forced to use FOG lights to get safely off the road. Have read others have had this same problem where the plastic plugs melted and were nearly impossible to remove from the halogen headlight prongs. I cannot believe that a car manufacturer would also use 18 or 20 gauge wire to feed power to the headlights. This is a major safety issue and Mitsubishi needs to take action to fix it. I use my headlights all the time to make sure that I am visible as there are so many inattentive drivers on the road where I live.

I will contact Mitsubishi Motors and relay this problem to them. They must be aware of it as it has occurred on several production years.

Update from Sep 13, 2016: I replaced both wire plugs that connect directly to the headlight assembly with "heavy duty" plugs from NAPA. Apparently the headlights generate a lot of heat and I had a long road trip where the headlights were on for several hours and this most likely caused the problem. Other owners have reported this problem.

- , Williams, AZ, USA