2.3

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer:

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer Owner Comments

Dec 182006

Lancer 4-cyl

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer, 5 speed manual. The car is a daily driver, and is never driven hard. It just turned 68,000 miles. Driving in a parking lot to a restaurant, the car makes a loud noise and rolls to a stop. It restarts but will not go anywhere in any gear. I lost all gears. I had it towed home, and I see nothing obvious. I ended up at a transmission shop where I paid to have it taken apart and they found the transmission itself was ok, but the axle shaft had broken inside of it. The transmission still had to be disassembled to retrieve the broken piece. A new axle cannot be found for this car anywhere but the dealer where they wanted $750. The transmission diagnosis was $300. Parts I had to replace upon reinstalling, was $488. I have all documentation. I had to borrow and rent cars for 10 days until I had my parts, of course they had be ordered.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA