2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution clutch problems

clutch problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution:

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Owner Comments

Aug 012004

Lancer Evolution 4-cyl

I purchased a new 2003 Mitsubishi evolution viii with about 300 miles on April 28th 2004. Approx. 3 months later I noticed that the clutch started to slip in second gear. I then proceeded to take it to the dealership where I was told that the clutch was blown. At this time I had appox. 3200 miles on my new vehicle. I was then told that I would have to have a replacement clutch put in and that for them to even look at the clutch it would cost $500 for them to drop the parts needed to confirm this problem, which I thought was ridiculous because I was at trhe mercy of the dealership and Mitsubishi's sub-par replacement part. I had my car towed to a local performance shop where they instructed me to replace the clutch with a more durable and well know act race dics. In doing the repair also the flywheel seemed to be damaged so that was replaced as well. The car was not ever raced or ever abused or driven to any extent of wearing parts excessivly. This I feel is known negligence of sub-par parts used in this vehicle.

- Allentown, PA, USA

Jun 062004

Lancer Evolution 4-cyl

After purchasing new 2003 Mitsubishi lancer evo8 with 1500 dealer miles, an additional 1000 miles was driven when cltuch problem began. Very serious clutch slippage. Returned vehicle to dealer only to be told not under warranty. I have searched the internet to find 12 similar complaints with the NHTSA on file. I am currently in negotiation with the dealership manager with this problem. I am thinking if they replace this clutch with a factory kit, that this will not happen again.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA