2001 Mitsubishi Montero brakes NHTSA complaints: Service Brakes, Hydraulic

NHTSA — Service Brakes, Hydraulic Problems

2.3

2001 Mitsubishi Montero brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Mitsubishi Montero:

2001 Mitsubishi Montero Owner Comments

Dec 032008

Montero

Brake booster accumulator failure there was a recall in 2001 it was replace now it fail. Mitsubishi refuse to replace.

- Pampona Beach, FL, USA

Jul 092008

Montero

My 2001 Mitsubishi Montero (full size XLS) is making loud sounds when I apply the brakes. I understand that there was a recall on the hydraulic brakes booster accumulator. When the car was still very new this recall was conducted and my vehicle was "fixed" according to dealer records. Now I am having the same problem again and the dealer and Mitsubishi motors say it is my problem now. If their recall does not work then they should be liable, not me. This is a safety issue, other people have had their brake fail completely and not be able to stop because of this issue. Mitsubishi should have corrected this problem free of charge until they get it right, not just the first time! I will never buy Mitsubishi again! this consistent problem is putting peoples lives at risk.

- Prospect Park, NJ, USA

May 192008

Montero

When I applied the brake there was a buzzer noise under the left dash. So I drove the vehicle to near service shop. And they told me that there were a re call defect part on the brake booter acculator. And tell told me to call Mitsubishi motor. I talked to them and the rep. Said there was not an open recall in the particular model. So I went back to the car repair shop. And they did the repair, they replace the bake booster accumulator. And them after two day I call mitsubushi again saying that I replace the brake booter accumulator. They open a service order, that a technical will next week. I like to know how can you help me resolve this?

- Frisco, TX, USA

Jul 202006

Montero 4WD 6-cyl

The contact stated there was hydraulic brake booster accumulator failure with the vehicle. While traveling 2 mph exiting the drive way, the brakes were depressed however there was no response coupled with a squeaking noise. The brakes continue to make noises when depressed. The vehicle was taken to an independent repair shop who determined there was a recall for vehicles of the same year make and model. The recall number is #sr-01-008 when the dealership was alerted, they determine the vehicle was not included in the recall due to the VIN.

- Beltsville , MD, USA

Jul 102006

Montero 4WD 6-cyl

Montero under 50,000 miles. Have to replace compressor, alignment bars for sun roof, and brakes. Cost $2700 with labor. Have owned the vehicle for 4 months. No warranty left. Montero has to be jumped to turn on, bucks with defrost on, no air, no radio, and brakes are bad. Dealer will not help with cost.

- Michigan City, IN, USA

Jan 262005

Montero

The 2001 Montero XLS experienced 7 instances of brake failures. Most of the brake failures have occurred at low speeds.

- Lynn, MA, USA

Apr 182004

Montero

While backing out of the driveway brakes failed. This caused extended stopping distance, and consumer had to switch to neutral to decelerate the vehicle. Dealership was notified, but did not resolve the problem.

- Los Altos, CA, USA