2002 Mitsubishi Montero engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Mitsubishi Montero:

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Owner Comments

Apr 272013

Montero 6-cyl

I was driving home from work and notice my truck had died while slowing to make a right turn at a light..noticed the brake and battery light came on...I restarted the car then tried to make a quick left on my street and couldn't steer my car...I had to use all my strength to turn the steering wheel...had to make a hard turn because on coming traffic was coming and I couldn't speed up or really brake...luckily I made the turn coasted a bit heard a loud clacking under my hood coasted to side of road where I wouldn't be in middle of road...I lost all power steering...tried to crank it wouldn't start...looked up under hood didn't see anything...called my stepdad and mom we tried to give it a boost with cables didn't looked under the car where the trap is noticed a fairly large bolt sheared in half and what I found out later to be the harmonic balancer and belt to it...pulled all this out from atop hood...had it towed to a mechanic and they said the crankshaft pulley bolt had broke and part of it was still in the crankshaft said pray I can get this bolt out if not you have to replace the whole motor...

- Pantego, TX, USA