1.5

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Mitsubishi Outlander:

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander Owner Comments

Aug 272016

Outlander

I am referring to a well known "sticky HVAC mix door" issue in the Mitsubishi Outlander and lancer vehicles in model year 2003 (perhaps among other years and models). This issue can result in an inability to defrost the windshield during cold weather driving. I have had the "sticky" issue for some time, which, while it was difficult to turn the knob, was not a huge issue. However, recently while driving, the door went from "sticky" to "stuck, " on the "cold" setting. My windows gradually started to fog and I was unable to defog them since the system could not blow hot air due to the stuck mix door. I was driving on an interstate highway (I-39) in central Wisconsin at the time, on August 27, 2016 in the evening. In late summer / early autumn, there is a wide temperature swing during the day and night, so flipping from hot to cold settings is very common. Fortunately it was not extremely cold so I was able to turn off the HVAC and open all my windows in order to get by during my short drive. However, in the winter, I need to have it set on "hot" at all times: Therefore, for winter driving, my car will not be drivable at all due to this issue. Please issue a recall in cold weather states asap. This is a very well known issue with these vehicles, but only at this time did it become a serious cause of concern: When the HVAC mix door is stuck on the cold setting, the inability to defog the windshield is a serious safety issue for the driver as well as for anyone else sharing the road.

- Kronenwetter, WI, USA

Nov 112014

Outlander

HVAC knob has always been hard to turn from heat to cool, but it has now completely broken. If you turn it to heat it bounces back to cool. I have no heater or defrost! I was quoted $1,500 to fix the problem because the HVAC cable and door are stuck shut. The dealer knew my exact problem and the part number off the top off his head! he said it is a very common problem, but they don't recall it because it isn't a safety hazard. I don't see how this is so. We were plummeted with snow and freezing temperatures this week and I had to use an ice scrapper on the inside of my windows while stopped at lights! freezing and no viability seems like a safety concern to me.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Mar 022013

Outlander

I purchased my 2003 Mitsubishi Outlander in February, 2013 with 104,000 miles on it. At first everything seemed fine, but after 2 weeks the back end of the car on the passenger side squeaks and makes lots of noise. At first it would only do it a little but it got worse and worse within a couple weeks it constantly makes noise, which is very annoying. I think the dealership must have done a quick cheap fix on it so when I test drove it, it would not do it until it was purchased. I also have water seeping in in the floor next to the door on the driver side and water coming through the dash area on the passenger side when it rains or in a car wash. I read online that that can cause electrical problems which worry's me. My head lights also have cracks and fogged up and makes it hard to see at night, which I've seen to be a common problem with this car. I don't understand why this car was never recalled for all the problems it has, this is ridiculous!

- Gastonia, NC, USA