4.8

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Mitsubishi Outlander:

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander Owner Comments

Aug 252016

Outlander

The contact owns a 2003 Mitsubishi Outlander. The contact stated that when the vehicle was taken to be inspected for NHTSA campaign number: 16V458000 (suspension), the technician informed that the front cross member was corroded and needed to be replaced however, the parts were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Hartford, CT, USA

Feb 152016

Outlander

The contact owns a 2003 Mitsubishi Outlander. While driving 35 mph, the contact heard an abnormal sound when the brake pedal was depressed and the front end of the vehicle shook uncontrollably. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that it needed a wheel alignment and the tie rod needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred intermittently. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V458000 (suspension); however, the part was unavailable for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 45,432.

- Parkersburg, WV, USA

Aug 232016

Outlander

The contact owns a 2003 Mitsubishi Outlander. The contact stated that upon inspecting the vehicle, it was noticed that there had been extensive premature rust and corrosion on the lower control arm and the front sub-frame to the point that the part might fracture. The contact later received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V458000 (suspension), but was unable to drive the vehicle due to the failure. The contact indicated that the vehicle needed to be towed to the dealer and was uncertain of when the vehicle would be repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the condition and they provided no solution to get the vehicle to the dealer. The failure mileage was not available. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Carmel, ME, USA

Dec 162014

Outlander

Single owner/user;retired, garage kept. Undercarriage so eroded wheels began to list. Impractical to repair. Body and engine without problems. Not notified by dealership at recent service there was a problem. An unknown person that drove behind me mentioned that I should get rear wheel looked at. When brought for alignment check, I was notified by the mechanic to look at the underside of the car. Erosion was so bad, I drove the 5 miles to my home and will not take it on the road again. No recalls received.

- Tobyhanna, PA, USA

Mar 022013

Outlander

I purchased my 2003 Mitsubishi Outlander in February, 2013 with 104,000 miles on it. At first everything seemed fine, but after 2 weeks the back end of the car on the passenger side squeaks and makes lots of noise. At first it would only do it a little but it got worse and worse within a couple weeks it constantly makes noise, which is very annoying. I think the dealership must have done a quick cheap fix on it so when I test drove it, it would not do it until it was purchased. I also have water seeping in in the floor next to the door on the driver side and water coming through the dash area on the passenger side when it rains or in a car wash. I read online that that can cause electrical problems which worry's me. My head lights also have cracks and fogged up and makes it hard to see at night, which I've seen to be a common problem with this car. I don't understand why this car was never recalled for all the problems it has, this is ridiculous!

- Gastonia, NC, USA

Jul 072008

Outlander

I took my vehicle in to the dealer twice in 2006 about a "squeak" that I heard from the rear passenger side while driving. The first time a service tech drove the around the neighborhood, but couldn't hear anything. The second time...the same and your service department did not check it out on my request. The problem is that I wasn't simply that I was hearing things. At this point, the squeak is so pronounced that it can be heard from the inside and from the outside of the vehicle. I followed due diligence, so to speak, and sought help during the warranty period, but was not helped nor satisfied. On a recent brake inspection at sears, I was told that the suspension was the culprit. I suspected this all along. To date I have again visited my Mitsubishi dealer and they have arrived at a cost to repair and replace the rear upper control arms and both lower bushings. The dealer should have taking care of this a long time ago rather than telling me that they didn't hear anything. On my visit today, I was told that it isn't really a safety issue. In my view, when a vehicle squeaks as though something is coming apart....it is a safety issue. On a recent brake inspection at sears, I was told that the suspension was the culprit. I suspected this all along. To date I have again visited my Mitsubishi dealer and they have arrived at a cost to repair and replace the rear upper control arms and both lower bushings. The dealer should have taking care of this a long time ago rather than telling me that they didn't hear anything. On my visit today, I was told that it isn't really a safety issue. In my view, when a vehicle squeaks as though something is coming apart....it is a safety issue.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jan 012005

Outlander

Our mits. Outlander pulls to the right, badly! we had it aligned...twice! had new tires put on, re-aligned, and it still pulls to the right! if I let go of the wheel, w/in 2 seconds, I am in the next lane!

- Byron, IL, USA

Jan 232003

Outlander 4-cyl

Since the purchase of our 2003 Outlander, it has veered badly to the right. I notified the dealer of the problem from the date of purchase. I have had it in the dealership to correct the problem 3 times and the problem still exists. If you are traveling at a low speed it is not as obvious, but when traveling at higher speeds (60-70mph) if you do not apply pressure to the steering wheel, you will veer right and in 5 to 7 seconds be in a ditch, or if passing another vehicle, you would crash into them. I consider this a very dangerous problem, that could result in serious injury or even death. I have contacted the manufacturer several times and they have contacted the dealership. I just had the Outlander in the dealership yesterday for the 3rd time, and needless to say, the problem is still unresolved. Alignment has not solved the problem and I am taking it back for the 4th time and expecting the same end results.

- Rayville, LA, USA

Jul 202003

Outlander 4-cyl

Outland continues to pull very hard to the right. It has been serviced three times and problem still occurs. Dealership says there is no problem and the pulling is normal.

- Panama City, FL, USA

Jan 132003

Outlander

The vehicle veered to the right when driving. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for repairs but the vehicle continued to veer to the right.

- La Palma, CA, USA

Aug 122003

Outlander 4-cyl

Steering/suspension Outlander XLS car pulls and drifts to the right, car has been to auto service 3 times and problem still exist.

- Yeadon, PA, USA

Sep 052003

Outlander

While driving vehicle pulled to the right. Dealer did an alignment, and checked the steering wheel. Dealer indicated that this was a normal problem and there was no solution.

- Hoffman Estates, IL, USA