2016 Mitsubishi Outlander body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Mitsubishi Outlander:

2016 Mitsubishi Outlander Owner Comments

Sep 032016

Respectfully, we bought our brand new 2016 Outlander from the dealership this May. My wife rear ended a car less than a month later on the highway. She said the car didn┐T stop when she hit the brakes and that the brakes don┐T work. The car was repaired by geico for $20K damage paid and she said she wasn┐T driving it anymore. She had multiple injuries from the airbags and saw the doctor. After repairs, we ended up switching cars and the Outlander became my car and I noticed that it seemed very heavy like it was surging forward and resisted stopping. Two months later I changed the oil on the other car, so I asked her to take the Outlander just for the day. She didn┐T want to drive it, but I said just be very careful. She had a second accident that day on the highway causing $10K damages for repair and the air bags never deployed this time and her head, chest and knees hit hard against the steering wheel and dashboard and her back snapped and she is seeing a chiropractor now for the pain. She is a good driver and has never hit anyone from behind and now has done so two times in two months? again she told me the car didn┐T stop when she stepped on the brakes. Last week we received a factory recall notice in the mail for the accelerator. I took the car in this Saturday as soon as possible to have it repaired. When I drove the car after the repair and applied the brakes now in comparison to before it stops very well and is totally different. I believe Mitsubishi's defective acceleration system is the cause of my wife's injuries to her head, back and knees. This accident is not my wife's fault at all. I am sure that this defect in the accelerator system was the cause of the accidents and I am asking the NHTSA to please rectify this with Mitsubishi for us to find cause to be placed on Mitsubishi's faulty vehicle not us. Thomas a. nervina 727-687-7816

- Gloucseter, MA, USA

Jan 242016

The paint on the hood is chipping only after 2,000 miles and its second car wash! I park my new car in the garage and don't even take it to work, it's only my weekend vehicle. My 12 year old Saturn's paint job looks better than my 3 month old new Mitsubishi. There is obviously no clear coat on top, or primer under the paint. When compared to "dings" on my 12 year old Saturn, it is obvious there are a few layers of material before it gets down to the body - with the Mitsubishi, it's just paint and then metal. I had the western regional manager, bill fordyce, inspect my vehicle, and despite the fact that the paint is clearly chipping off in more than one spot on the hood, he had the audacity to say it was damage caused by rocks. I pointed out to him that if the quality of the paint job had been better, the paint would not have flaked. On the lot, the next closest Mitsubishi also had similar damage. I pointed this out to him and his response was that it was his vehicle and he was aware of it. I wanted my hood painted correctly, but he refused and said that essentially, this is the quality of work of Mitsubishi. Do not buy a Mitsubishi!

- Fresno, CA, USA