2016 Mitsubishi Outlander body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Mitsubishi Outlander:

2016 Mitsubishi Outlander Owner Comments

Oct 032016

Outlander

On 9/19/2016, I purchased a new 2016 Mitsubishi Outlander GT awc. On 10/3, we took it through its first car wash. During the wash, water dripped onto my face from the sunroof. After the wash, we noticed water inside of the vehicle on the passenger's door surrounding the speaker near the window. We provided pictures to the dealership when the car was dropped off for this and other issues on 10/6. the dealership stated they were unable to locate any leaks and I picked up the car on 10/7. on 10/8, the vehicle leaked in the same locations during rainfall. I emailed the service department; attached more pictures & video. The dealership setup an appointment for 10/13. They were unable to address the leaks and brought in a third party specialist. The specialist claimed to resolve the leaks on 10/17. On 10/27, I took the vehicle through its second car wash. It leaked, once again. I took (and provided) several more pictures and a video. On 10/31, I returned the vehicle to the service department for the third time. I was told that the third party specialist had been scheduled to reassess the vehicle on 11/1. I requested that the dealership take the vehicle through the same car wash IżD used to confirm it no longer leaked once the specialist was done. On 11/2, I received an update that the specialist had resolved ża few more leaksż. the dealership planned to take the vehicle to the car wash once some paint-related issues were addressed. I called the dealership on 11/5 and the only update they were able to provide at that time was that it was not yet ready. Even if the vehicle doesnżT leak during the car wash test, I still have concerns about unresolved leaks, water damage, and\or mold in areas I canżT see (I.e. within the door). Furthermore, I donżT think Iżll ever be able to trust the vehicleż the leaks were not the only issue; just the most important.

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

Sep 032016

Outlander

Respectfully, we bought our brand new 2016 Outlander from the dealership this May. My wife rear ended a car less than a month later on the highway. She said the car didnżT stop when she hit the brakes and that the brakes donżT work. The car was repaired by geico for $20K damage paid and she said she wasnżT driving it anymore. She had multiple injuries from the airbags and saw the doctor. After repairs, we ended up switching cars and the Outlander became my car and I noticed that it seemed very heavy like it was surging forward and resisted stopping. Two months later I changed the oil on the other car, so I asked her to take the Outlander just for the day. She didnżT want to drive it, but I said just be very careful. She had a second accident that day on the highway causing $10K damages for repair and the air bags never deployed this time and her head, chest and knees hit hard against the steering wheel and dashboard and her back snapped and she is seeing a chiropractor now for the pain. She is a good driver and has never hit anyone from behind and now has done so two times in two months? again she told me the car didnżT stop when she stepped on the brakes. Last week we received a factory recall notice in the mail for the accelerator. I took the car in this Saturday as soon as possible to have it repaired. When I drove the car after the repair and applied the brakes now in comparison to before it stops very well and is totally different. I believe Mitsubishi's defective acceleration system is the cause of my wife's injuries to her head, back and knees. This accident is not my wife's fault at all. I am sure that this defect in the accelerator system was the cause of the accidents and I am asking the NHTSA to please rectify this with Mitsubishi for us to find cause to be placed on Mitsubishi's faulty vehicle not us. Thomas a. nervina 727-687-7816

- Gloucseter, MA, USA

Jan 242016

Outlander

The paint on the hood is chipping only after 2,000 miles and its second car wash! I park my new car in the garage and don't even take it to work, it's only my weekend vehicle. My 12 year old Saturn's paint job looks better than my 3 month old new Mitsubishi. There is obviously no clear coat on top, or primer under the paint. When compared to "dings" on my 12 year old Saturn, it is obvious there are a few layers of material before it gets down to the body - with the Mitsubishi, it's just paint and then metal. I had the western regional manager, bill fordyce, inspect my vehicle, and despite the fact that the paint is clearly chipping off in more than one spot on the hood, he had the audacity to say it was damage caused by rocks. I pointed out to him that if the quality of the paint job had been better, the paint would not have flaked. On the lot, the next closest Mitsubishi also had similar damage. I pointed this out to him and his response was that it was his vehicle and he was aware of it. I wanted my hood painted correctly, but he refused and said that essentially, this is the quality of work of Mitsubishi. Do not buy a Mitsubishi!

- Fresno, CA, USA