3.3

2009 Nissan 370Z electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Nissan 370Z:

2009 Nissan 370Z Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Oct 062016

370Z

Trying to start my 2009 370Z approx 35K miles, I have to push the start button 2-7 times to get the car to start. Checked clutch switch position, it is okay. Occasionally it will start on the first time pushing the start button. Get in car, depress clutch when light comes on, push start button, on lights, no start, push again access light on, nothing, again off light, push again, and so on until starts. Dealer had no answers. Replaced battery in both keys, no difference. Has been an issue a couple times after stalling in traffic.

- Wheat Ridge, CO, USA

Jun 252014

370Z

Constant problems with the clutch, car records shows clutch and csc has been replaced but is having problems yet again. Always feel ticking in the clutch pedal when disengaged, and clutch sticks when taking off from stop (not talking about launches or dropping gears). Also a lot of problems with electrical, like fuel gauge. Last but not least, lots of wind noise when on the freeway, and window gets stuck when closed on freeway. Have gone to dealership and of course they say theres nothing they can do even though forums show theres recalls.

- Granada Hills, CA, USA

Jun 022014

370Z

My 370Z will start up fine sometimes but most times I have to it the start button 7-10 times before it cranks. When I push the button all lights on dash come and it makes clicking sounds but just won't start the vehicle. I had my steering lock mechanism replaced 6 months ago because there was a recall but the problem still persist. I have taken it to the dealership but no one can give me a solid answer.

- Tucker, GA, USA

Feb 252015

370Z

The fuel gauge does not display a full tank of gas after a fill up. This results in a very inaccurate depiction of fuel levels. This is a know issue but Nissan has refused to acknowledge on the 370Z. The problem it intermittent, but it has only gotten worst. I brought my car to the dealership a while ago and they replaced the instrument cluster, believing it to be an issue with the display. The issue is still there after they installed a new instrument cluster, but now I'm past my extended warranty. The real cause of this is within the fuel system and the way it measures the fuel level. This renders the fuel gauge, distance to empty and average mpg reading inaccurate and useless. There are others who have this issue and I would like for Nissan to address it as a recall.

- Farmingville, NY, USA

Nov 182011

370Z 6-cyl

Steering lock solenoid failed at 38120 miles (2120 miles outside electrical warranty) yellow "key" warning light on dash only illuminated the morning off failure. Went to leave work car would not start due to steering lock solenoid failure. Had to have vehicle flat bedded to dealership at the cost of $121.10. Thank god this didn't fail while driving. This is a well know issue within the online forums / community. I'm currently requesting a full reimbursement from Nissan motor Corp for the repair cost of $887.37 plus the tow bill. I have recently returned to the online forums and have read over 25 pages of failures with the Nissan 370Z. I also heard of this issue on Nissan gtr and maxima vehicles.

- Middletown, NY, USA

Sep 152014

370Z 6-cyl

On Monday 9/15/14 I attempted to start my car like I had done earlier in the day without any problems. When I went to push my start button, I noticed that nothing had happened at all except the illumination of a key lock light. After checking the gas, battery, and fuses, I did not know what to do about this issue. Today is 9/17/14 and when I attempt to start my car I have to depress the start button 7-10 times before it actually starts the car. I called a nearby Nissan dealership they said it probably had a steering lock failure, which is a common occurrence in the 2009-2010 370Z.

- Tucker, GA, USA

Jul 202014

370Z 6-cyl

This is to rectify the complaint I submitted yesterday related to the steering lock unit failing. I did have the problem (no change there) and filed complaint #10614959 after doing the initial research and reading everywhere (including here) that Nissan's recall did not cover my model year (2009), being that mine is not a gtr. After I had come to terms with having to pay for this out of pocket, I called the dealer in fort lauderdale, and he (voluntarily) said that recalls are VIN specific and that mine was covered (what a relief). I also talked with Nissan usa later and they told me that it is not a recall but that they have extended the warranty on that particular piece of equipment. I am not sure, but I think the difference is that if the program is an extended warranty, you have to wait until you have the issue whereas a recall you can take it in before (or after). Whichever it is, those who had this problem early on and had to pay out of pocket may want to re-check with Nissan to see if they can get reimbursed. Maybe Nissan extended the initial recall or offered the extended warranty long after some people had the problem and got missed in the process. If they ever sent me a note about this in the mail, I probably mistook it for junk mail and threw it out. In my case at least, Nissan did right by me after I had the problem. When I called (Nissan usa) and asked about the towing, the rep said the program did not specifically say either way, but they agreed to reimburse me for it. Anyway, good luck with all of this.

- Hollywood, FL, USA

Jul 202014

370Z 6-cyl

Same problem as everyone else is reporting about vehicle not starting because the smart key push button ignition is stuck in the lock position. I think they call it steering wheel system fail. Apparently Nissan has known about this for a long time, has recalled newer models but is not willing to recall the 2009S. So the question is, how many people need to have this problem before a mandatory recall is imposed? this is ridiculous. Despite the problem being known, there is no warning on it, so people, including myself, get stranded in horrible situations. Note to Nissan. I have been a repeat customer. I have had 1 maxima, 2 Altima and now a Z. I will fix this car, sell it and until/unless Nissan does the right thing and issues a recall on this, I will never look at another Nissan again.

- Hollywood, FL, USA

May 242013

370Z 6-cyl

Engine power cuts out randomly. Error code P0011 given. All mechanical components associated with code P0011 per Nissan have been replaced. Problem still persists. Apparently, this is not an uncommon problem with the early 2009 370Z. To date, Nissan has not issued a recall for this problem.

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Oct 252013

370Z 6-cyl

Attempted to start my 370Z this morning, key light would come on, and the lock light came on the push button start. But no response. After some research, it appears that the steering wheel lock mechanism is stuck halfway so the steering wheel turns but nothing is indicating to the ECU that it is unlocked. Nissan had issued a recall for the same part on 2009 GT-R's (ntb10-025 P0309) but not on 370Z's. it became such an issue that in 2011/2012 Nissan stopped installing the device on the 370Z model. More and more 370Z owners are becoming stranded because of this defect and it should be recalled and replaced.

- Wildwood, MO, USA

Mar 222013

370Z 6-cyl

I drove my 2009 Nissan 370Z to work in the morning and when I went to start my car at lunch... nothing. It was just dead. All of the lights worked, alarm, power seats, name it. But when you went to start, nothing. Turns out the steering wheel lock broke. The fact that this is such a common occurrence, a simple 30 second internet search can diagnose the problem, frustrates me. How come it was taken care of in the more expensive models (the gtr's), but it wasn't recalled for the 2009/10 370Z's" they've replaced the problem part in the 2012's, but that doesn't excuse the fact that they've left thousands of people stranded and have done nothing about it. I lucked out because I bought an extended warranty, but what about the people who have to pay out of pocket" the cost for the repairs is over a $1000, with the part itself in the hundreds. This is ridiculous and needs to be addressed.

- Herndon, VA, USA

Mar 042013

370Z 6-cyl

Steering wheel lock unit failed in lock position disabling vehicle. Out of warranty replacement required. Research indicated that this part is based on a faulty design that has subsequently been removed from later model years. Look at all the complaints - this is clearly a faulty part and Nissan should recall all vehicles with this part. The car had to be towed and the cost to repair was close to $1,000. I will not consider another Nissan purchase unless this issue is addressed.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Mar 062013

370Z 6-cyl

Steering lock unit failed. "key" light indicator appeared. Car unable to start. Tow needed to dealer for out of warranty repairs. There was a voluntary recall on the same part for 2009 gtrs models (reference: Ntb10-025, campaign id#: P0309. It is ridiculous that there is no recall for 370Z models which uses the same defective part!!!!!!

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Feb 212013

370Z 6-cyl

My 2009 Nissan 370Z failed to start on Feb 21st without any warning. The intelligent key light was on while trying to start the car by pushing the 'start' button. Tried inserting the key fob into the fob slot but the car still failed to start. After reading numerous threads related to this problem on www.the370Z.com, I discovered that this is a common problem to the 370Z. I was able to start the car one more time by hitting the steering lock unit. I immediately drove to the dealership where they confirmed that my steering lock unit had to be replaced. The cost was $1335.70 total for parts and labor.

- Federal Way, WA, USA

Feb 142013

370Z 6-cyl

Car won't start. Steering locking mechanism failed.

- San Jose, CA, USA

370Z 6-cyl

Steering locking unit (part: 48700-jf00A) failed. Note, there are revision models of this part 48700-jf00B, 48700-jf00C, 48700-jf00D, and 48700-jf00E -- all eventually fail. This part begins to fail as early as just a few thousand miles on the car's odometer. This is a common issue with Nissan 370Z 2009-2011 models. Once this happens the car is stranded as the starter is disabled. The car must then be towed to a dealership for repair. Repair costs average between $1,100 and $2,000.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Feb 042013

370Z 6-cyl

As I was getting ready to leave my house for the evening, I attempted to start my car like I had done earlier in the day without any problems. When I went to push my start button, I noticed that nothing had happened at all except the illumination of a key lock light. After checking the gas, battery, and fuses, I was left wondering what I should do. After checking into the problem with various credible sources, I discovered that the steering lock unit had failed. I also found out that this is a major problem with 2009-10 models of my car. I was without a vehicle for 3 days, and was going to have to pay a good amount of money for a factory defective unit that fails at any given moment, leaving the driver ( and passengers) stranded wherever they may be. Thank goodness I was at home and my car was in the garage. There should be a recall on this particular part, seeing that Nissan knows that this part is prone to failure, yet does nothing to rectify the situation except discontinue the part on newer models.

- Winthrop Harbor, IL, USA

- Oxnard, CA, USA

370Z 6-cyl

Attempted to start car using the push button. The car wouldn't start. Had aaa come out to test the battery. The battery was good. I towed to the dealership. They said it had a steering lock failure which cost $1100 to repair. It took a day to order the part. The mileage was 22,114. The service tech said he saw a lot of Altima come in with this problem.

- Oxnard, CA, USA

Feb 012013

370Z

The car stop working when I tried to turn it on. I towed it to the shop and found out the steering lock and given up and this was very rare.... I searched only and found out so many people had the same issues with the same vehicle.. how is it that the car never been in any accident and now having an issue with electrical. I had stereo issues, electrical issues, and now the steering wheel issue.. they don't cover the car cause there is no recall.. how do companies get away with this.. I can not believe there is nothing that is being done about this.

- Avenel, NJ, USA