2009 Nissan 370Z steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Nissan 370Z:

2009 Nissan 370Z Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Nov 112012

370Z 6-cyl

2009 base, 7at. Yellow intelligent key warning light appeared after getting gas about a week prior to incident. Car still started though and the light went away and came back a few times over the course of said week, prior to incident. After researching online, it came to my attention there is a faulty steering lock mechanism that is affecting many owners of the 2009 370Z, causing it to fail, leaving the car unable to start. There has been a recall for a similar problem with the gtr. After parking in a local shopping center my car died yesterday (Sunday). Yellow intelligent key light appeared while car was parked. Unable to start the car. Had to have it towed to the dealer first thing this morning (Monday). As it stands, I'm still waiting to hear the diagnosis from the dealer and it's Monday night. I really hope Nissan Corp. Addresses this ongoing issue that seems to be affecting many (if not all) owners of 09-10 370Z's.

- Studio City, CA, USA

Oct 302012

370Z 6-cyl

After work, tried starting my 370Z and it would not start, leaving me stranded. Tried other key fob, same issue. Had car towed to the Nissan dealer who identified the issue as steering lock failure: $750 part +$50 overnight + $100 labor + tax = $960 total cost. Nissan has replaced the part on the 2009 GT-R but apparently is doing nothing for the Z owners with same issue. Nissan will not cover the part since I am 18000 miles over warranty, yet many owners have had same failure/repair as evidenced by the forums online. I contacted Nissan Consumer Affairs at 1800nissan1 and have started a "case" but do not expect resolution. They agreed to reimburse for a rental car up to 2 days $70 max. Meanwhile they will send a rep to review my car's diagnosis prior to instructing the dealer to complete repairs within the next 2 days. I find it interesting perusing all the other reported incidents on your site, there are quite a few reported in the month of October, 2012. There needs to be an official recall of this faulty expensive part in the 370Z.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Oct 172012

370Z 6-cyl

I arrived to work around 7 am. When I left work to go home around 4:30 pm, I unlocked my car. I pushed the button to start the car like normal (though I did notice a light on the dash that said "key") and the car wouldn't start. I thought maybe my key fob battery was dead so I put it in the slot that enables one to start the car with a dead fob. The car still didn't start after pushing the button. I had my wife bring me the spare fob to find that it too would not start the car either way. I called Nissan and they told me it would have to be towed so they could look at it. The next day the car was towed and once Nissan looked at it they said it was the "steering lock actuator". the part cost was 700-something dollars and by time the labor was put in and the actuator was installed, the total cost (part plus labor) was $1173. This is clearly a problem for others as well. Search "Nissan steering lock actuator" in google or go to and do the same search. I think it's ridiculous Nissan hasn't come up with a different or more reliable device for the theft protection that this device offers, and it is ridiculous that there is not a recall on it.

- Chattanooga, TN, USA

Oct 122012

370Z 6-cyl

Tried starting my 370Z and it would not start, due to what the Nissan dealer described as a steering lock failure. When this occurs it leaves the driver stranded as the car will not operate. Nissan replaced this part on the 2012 370Z but has done nothing for the previous models. Nissan will not cover the part since I am 2000 miles over my warranty, yet many owners have had this failure.

- Morris, MN, USA

Oct 102012

370Z 6-cyl

On the morning of weds, Oct. 10th, I was leaving work when I could not start the car. Knowing that it seemed not a battery issue, I first thought it was an intelligent key issue. After replacing the battery in the ik with still no luck, I tried again with my spare ik. Again, no start. I had car towed to local Nissan where the stated they hadn't heard of any issue with the 370Z. After 5 hours of waiting, the general diagnostics results came back with multiple code points indicating a "steering lock failure". Nissan reps there stated they had never heard of this happening, yet while in my wait, I was able to google & find many Nissan 370Z owners that have experienced this failure. The replacement steering wheel lock assembly had to be ordered & I picked up the Z on Oct. 12th. Frustrating after missing a full day of work & due to the car was 5 months out of warranty, this became a very expensive part to replace when it's obvious it should be recalled.

- Elizabethtown, KY, USA

Oct 062012

370Z 6-cyl

Lock set - steering models jf00A, jf00B and jf00C are faulty. Recall was done on Nissan GT-R for the faulty part. The same part is in the 2009-11 370Z and suffers the same defects but was not included in the recall. Car will not start with a faulty lock set - steering. Part is known to be defective as indicated by the recall from Nissan (campaign id# P0309) for the identical part in the 2009 GT-R. Nissan must recall this faulty part in the 370Z and reimburse customers who have paid for costly repairs and/or replacement parts due to a part know to Nissan (as evidenced by the GT-R recall) to be faulty.

- San Angelo, TX, USA

Oct 082012

370Z 6-cyl

Steering lock failed and car could not be started. This happened in a high traffic area and safety was a huge issue. Car had to be towed to the local Nissan dealership. I have noticed that this is an ongoing issue with this model as noted on

- Gastonia, NC, USA

Oct 112012

370Z 6-cyl

Drove to work as normal. Parked car same spot as every day. Got into car to go to lunch. Car wont start. Ignition says locked and the intelligent key system warning light is on. Stranded in a park lot alone. Unacceptable. No warranty.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Oct 022012

Steering lock fail.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jul 132012

I have heard many, many stories of steering lock failure on these cars made from 2008-2010 Nissan's more expensive sports car, rhe GT-R, has the same problem with the same parts and was the subject of a recall. Will something be done? people are beng stranded all over when their vehicles won't start!

- Norwalk, CT, USA

May 172012

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan 370Z. The contact stated that the intelligent key indicator warning lamp was illuminated, which prevented her from turning on the ignition or any other feature on the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that the electronic steering control module was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 33,000.

- St Louis, MO, USA

May 102012

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan 370Z. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where the dealer discovered that the steering column lock unit needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 60,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 272012

370Z 6-cyl

I own a 2009 Nissan 370Z. There have been issues previously mentioned by members in the forum and I have fallen victim to it. The steering lock system in the 370Z is faulty and unreliable. The part that needs replacement is a revb steering lock 48700-jf00B. The same issue happened to the Nissan gtr and was recalled for that issue. Due to the amount of concern I see in the forums of other owners, this issue should be recalled and fixed. Safety wise, for owners overseas like myself, could have ended up stuck in the middle of nowhere. Thank you for your time.

- Apo, AE, USA

Jan 192012

370Z 6-cyl

Steering wheel lock mechanism failure. Prevents car from reading key fobs and thus from starting. Part is backordered a month. Side note: Nissan usa is not being responsive to complaints.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Jan 272012

Steering lock fails and wont let me restart, lock or unlock the car (keyless system).

- Springfield, VA, USA

Jan 242012

370Z 6-cyl

The story goes like this my story with my car is I had the key light come on about a month ago started researching found the forum and saw it was a common issue with my year so I sent a email to Nissan who basically gave me the run around saying we never have heard of it... so I went to the dealer had my remote key batteries replaced after they said that they would have to keep it for 3 days to do test... well I need my car to get to work so I left and would come back when I had time well about 1 week later I was at a home depot parking lot and it failed I could not start the car I was stuck long story shot after good help from Nissan I got it towed to a dealer and its going to sit there for about a week to a month because their systems were down and they could not tell how long the part that I mentioned (the steering lock ) was gonna take according to the forum its taken some people a month to get it please get this recalled... my dad hasn't yet but he has the year after mine so I want to get his fixed as well.

- Brentwood, TN, USA

Dec 162011

370Z 6-cyl

I was routinely driving to work on a Friday. I stopped to get gas. The car wouldn't start once I was done and a yellow/amber intelligent key light was on. I get a tow to the nearby Nissan dealership and they told me it's a steering wheel lock. They said it's happening on quite a few cars and that an Altima and another 370Z have been having the same issue and are waiting for the same part. I'm still waiting on the part and it happened over a month ago. This faulty part from the factory has been going out routinely for everyone who owns a 09-10 370Z, Altima and other Nissan vehicles that use the same steering wheel lock technology. It's absolutely enraging that Nissan is releasing these parts (knowing they're bad as they've made revisions on the newer 370Z) and forcing customers to pay for this out of pocket and wait a month to get the part. Check this forum for further confirmation:

- Rio Rancho, NM, USA

Nov 252011

370Z 6-cyl

Steering lock solenoid failure at 38.5K 1,500miles after 36K warranty. After dealership played parts changer for 3 weeks they finally worked up to the steering lock solenoid. Steering lock assm. $542 - $622 - #48700-jf00B production date: 2008.10-2009.08 - #48700-jf00C production date: 2009.08-2009.10 - #48700-jf00C production date: 2009.10-2010.09 - #48700-jf00D production date: 2010.09- current (you want this one "D") obviously this part has gone through revisions. Total repair $837 - 3 weeks in the shop. Had to have car towed to dealer after the "yellow" key light showed up. This part has failed on many Nissan models with this type of electronic steering wheel lock. This needs to be a recall and anyone who paid to have it fixed needs to be reimbursed. A class action lawsuit need to be filed.

- Middletown, NY, USA

Dec 162011

370Z 6-cyl

Car would not start due to steering lock failure. Part was back-ordered and took over 4 weeks to receive part and replace. Serious issue as there is no way to start the car when this happens. Was without the car for over 4 weeks.

- Greer, SC, USA

Jan 192012

I am writing to inquire about the status of a known issue with Nissan 370Z models assembled from 2009 until early 2010 that involves a faulty steering wheel lock that causes the intelligent key warning to engage and effectively stranding vehicle owners without the ability to operate their car. This is a known issue that in fact was recalled already on the exact same part on the Nissan gtr models. I feel that it is unacceptable that so many people are experiencing this problem and that those of us driving with this part number have to waitto be inconvenienced tremendously by the part failing until it gets recalled. Please contact me with any questions about my concerns with this issue. I am a 15 year driver of Nissan vehicles and continue to purchase and drive them after my 1996 Sentra, 2001 Sentra and 2007 murano were all reliable vehicles I expected my 2009 370Z (my dream car) to follow with that same level of reliability and ease of mind, but as it standsi do not feel comfortable recommending Nissan to my friends and family until this issue is resolved satisfactorily.

- O'fallon, MO, USA