3.4

2009 Nissan 370Z steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Nissan 370Z:

2009 Nissan 370Z Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jul 192013

370Z

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan 370Z. The contact stated that the dealer indicated that they repaired the vehicle for a manufacturer's recall on the steering column lock system on July 19, 2013. On January 13, 2016, the contact stated that the steering wheel was tight, seized, and was unable to be turned. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnostic testing to determine the cause of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 59,000.

- Crossville, TN, USA

Nov 182011

370Z 6-cyl

Steering lock solenoid failed at 38120 miles (2120 miles outside electrical warranty) yellow "key" warning light on dash only illuminated the morning off failure. Went to leave work car would not start due to steering lock solenoid failure. Had to have vehicle flat bedded to dealership at the cost of $121.10. Thank god this didn't fail while driving. This is a well know issue within the online forums / community. I'm currently requesting a full reimbursement from Nissan motor Corp for the repair cost of $887.37 plus the tow bill. I have recently returned to the online forums and have read over 25 pages of failures with the Nissan 370Z. I also heard of this issue on Nissan gtr and maxima vehicles.

- Middletown, NY, USA

Nov 042013

370Z

Infamous steering lock problem. Went to start car and got the yellow key symbol and push start button light showed lock. Had to pay $170 to have it towed to Nissan.

- Pearland, TX, USA

Oct 252013

370Z 6-cyl

Attempted to start my 370Z this morning, key light would come on, and the lock light came on the push button start. But no response. After some research, it appears that the steering wheel lock mechanism is stuck halfway so the steering wheel turns but nothing is indicating to the ECU that it is unlocked. Nissan had issued a recall for the same part on 2009 GT-R's (ntb10-025 P0309) but not on 370Z's. it became such an issue that in 2011/2012 Nissan stopped installing the device on the 370Z model. More and more 370Z owners are becoming stranded because of this defect and it should be recalled and replaced.

- Wildwood, MO, USA

Mar 222013

370Z 6-cyl

I drove my 2009 Nissan 370Z to work in the morning and when I went to start my car at lunch... nothing. It was just dead. All of the lights worked, alarm, power seats, name it. But when you went to start, nothing. Turns out the steering wheel lock broke. The fact that this is such a common occurrence, a simple 30 second internet search can diagnose the problem, frustrates me. How come it was taken care of in the more expensive models (the gtr's), but it wasn't recalled for the 2009/10 370Z's" they've replaced the problem part in the 2012's, but that doesn't excuse the fact that they've left thousands of people stranded and have done nothing about it. I lucked out because I bought an extended warranty, but what about the people who have to pay out of pocket" the cost for the repairs is over a $1000, with the part itself in the hundreds. This is ridiculous and needs to be addressed.

- Herndon, VA, USA

Mar 022013

370Z 6-cyl

Steering wheel lock mechanism crapped out. Lots of info here: www.the370Z.com/Nissan-370Z-general-discussions/65360-sticky-steering-lock-failure-database-sticky.html.

- Fort Myers, FL, USA

Feb 212013

370Z 6-cyl

My 2009 Nissan 370Z failed to start on Feb 21st without any warning. The intelligent key light was on while trying to start the car by pushing the 'start' button. Tried inserting the key fob into the fob slot but the car still failed to start. After reading numerous threads related to this problem on www.the370Z.com, I discovered that this is a common problem to the 370Z. I was able to start the car one more time by hitting the steering lock unit. I immediately drove to the dealership where they confirmed that my steering lock unit had to be replaced. The cost was $1335.70 total for parts and labor.

- Federal Way, WA, USA

Jun 042012

370Z 6-cyl

Steering wheel lock unit failed in lock position disabling vehicle. Out of warranty replacement required. Research indicated that this part is based on a faulty design that has subsequently been removed from later model years but due to this defect and frequent failure rate I expect to have to replace it annually at a cost of over $500 per incident. The vehicle is completely disabled when this part fails requiring the vehicle to be towed to a service station at owner's expense. This part is clearly a faulty design and should be recalled by the manufacturer and replaced with a design that doesn't fail annually or eliminated.

- San Ramon, CA, USA

Mar 242011

370Z 6-cyl

Steering wheel lock unit failed in lock position disabling vehicle. Faulty unit replaced under warranty.

- San Ramon, CA, USA

Feb 182013

370Z 6-cyl

Steering lock control unit failed.

- Frederick, MD, USA

Feb 172013

370Z 6-cyl

The steering wheel lock failed. When this fails it causes the car not to start or allow it to go into accessory mode, so even the windows cannot be rolled up or down when this happens, the car is basically dead. This is a known defect, Nissan has taken the steering wheel locks out of the mid 2011 models and later due to there failure. Researching online has shown this happening to numerous people, so much so that there are many ways people are disabling this lock so they are not left stranded. From what I read it was over oiled at the factory and is a defective part. This same part was failing in the Nissan's gtr model, and was recalled, but there was never a recall issued for the 370Z.

- Valrico, FL, USA

Feb 092013

370Z 6-cyl

My steering column lock failed leaving me stranded. I had to have my car towed to he dealership. Total cost to repair $1,243. Nissan refused to pay for the repair.

- Gainesville, FL, USA

Feb 142013

370Z 6-cyl

Car won't start. Steering locking mechanism failed.

- San Jose, CA, USA

370Z 6-cyl

Steering locking unit (part: 48700-jf00A) failed. Note, there are revision models of this part 48700-jf00B, 48700-jf00C, 48700-jf00D, and 48700-jf00E -- all eventually fail. This part begins to fail as early as just a few thousand miles on the car's odometer. This is a common issue with Nissan 370Z 2009-2011 models. Once this happens the car is stranded as the starter is disabled. The car must then be towed to a dealership for repair. Repair costs average between $1,100 and $2,000.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Feb 042013

370Z 6-cyl

As I was getting ready to leave my house for the evening, I attempted to start my car like I had done earlier in the day without any problems. When I went to push my start button, I noticed that nothing had happened at all except the illumination of a key lock light. After checking the gas, battery, and fuses, I was left wondering what I should do. After checking into the problem with various credible sources, I discovered that the steering lock unit had failed. I also found out that this is a major problem with 2009-10 models of my car. I was without a vehicle for 3 days, and was going to have to pay a good amount of money for a factory defective unit that fails at any given moment, leaving the driver ( and passengers) stranded wherever they may be. Thank goodness I was at home and my car was in the garage. There should be a recall on this particular part, seeing that Nissan knows that this part is prone to failure, yet does nothing to rectify the situation except discontinue the part on newer models.

- Winthrop Harbor, IL, USA

- Oxnard, CA, USA

370Z 6-cyl

Attempted to start car using the push button. The car wouldn't start. Had aaa come out to test the battery. The battery was good. I towed to the dealership. They said it had a steering lock failure which cost $1100 to repair. It took a day to order the part. The mileage was 22,114. The service tech said he saw a lot of Altima come in with this problem.

- Oxnard, CA, USA

370Z 6-cyl

Steering lock assembly failed causing the vehicle to not start.

- Matawan, NJ, USA

Feb 012013

370Z

The car stop working when I tried to turn it on. I towed it to the shop and found out the steering lock and given up and this was very rare.... I searched only and found out so many people had the same issues with the same vehicle.. how is it that the car never been in any accident and now having an issue with electrical. I had stereo issues, electrical issues, and now the steering wheel issue.. they don't cover the car cause there is no recall.. how do companies get away with this.. I can not believe there is nothing that is being done about this.

- Avenel, NJ, USA

Feb 012013

370Z

I had the infamous "steering lock failure." It has yet to become a recall and recognized as a fault by Nissan, yet the fix is $700+. I got in my car and attempted to turn my car on only to get 0 response, whatsoever. After running through the manual and seeing there were only two options if the "key light" stayed on, I changed the battery in the key fob. That wasn't the issue, which then meant the only option was the steering lock failure. I now have to get my car towed and cough up $700+ at random (since it chooses when it's going to die). This is absolutely ridiculous. Mind you, I was under the mileage warranty (21K, not 35) but I get screwed because the year. This will be the last Nissan I ever buy.

- New Castle, DE, USA