2001 Nissan Altima suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Nissan Altima:

2001 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Jan 152003

My 2001 Nissan Altima gxe/le car has a problem with its suspension. It makes a crunching/rattling noise. My car has been to 2 Nissan dealers a total of 9 times. In all it has been out of service for 17 days. They have replaced many suspension parts. But the problem still remains. I have contacted the manufacturer several times with my complaints via phone and letters. I have also demanded a refund under the California lemon law. But Nissan of North America has refused. On March 2002, I filed a complaint with the BBB auto line program. Once the BBB auto line reviewed my complaint they contacted Nissan. We had a Nissan dts person inspect my car. I test drove with him and he verified my existing suspension problem. I agreed to give them one more chance to fix my car on April 12, 2002. The dts person ordered both front struts and springs replaced again. As of September 2002 the same suspension problem has re-occurred. On October 2002, I finally decided to contact a lawyer experienced in the lemon law cases. He wrote the first demand letter to Nissan. The letter mentioned all my problems and demanded a lemon law buy back because of the suspension defect. On December 2002 my attorney?S office had to send Nissan another letter, because they had failed to respond to the fist one. Well just recently on January 2003 Nissan finally decided to respond to the letters and after numerous phone calls that were made to their office. Nissan said that based on the number of repair attempts, along with the type of repair that was performed to resolve the complaint, we do not feel that there have been any substantial repairs performed on the vehicle for the same non-conformity. Nissan went on to say that they are not required to repurchase your client's vehicle, therefore demands for repurchase and restitution of associated fees, is denied. They again offered to have a dts(dealer technical specialist) come out and inspect my vehicle. For the alleged suspension complaint.

- Pico Rivera, CA, USA

Sep 172003

Altima 6-cyl

On 9/17/03 I had four P205/60R15 uniroyal tour TR tires placed on my 2001 Nissan Altima. Within one week two were replaced because of vibration. @ two weeks ago I had the tires rotated. The rear tires were placed on the front. Immediately vibration and pulling to the right was noticed. Again two new tires were placed on the vehicle. Again the pull to the right. The front tires were moved to opposite sides and the pull was to the left. A new tire was placed on the vehicle and it stills pull to the left. The car is in alignment. I would think there is a defect in these tires. I have notified uniroyal of the same by email.

- Frankfort, KY, USA

Oct 102001

My car has a defect with its suspension both front and rear. I have taken my car for service to 2 different dealers for repairs. It makes a loud crunching, rattling and squeaking noise from the front and rear suspension. While driving over the slightest bumps on the road. Infact it has been to the dealer for repairs 8 times in all it totals 14 days out of service. As of now the problem still remains after the dealer has replaced numeros parts. They are aware of the existing problem but cannot fix it.

- Pico Rivera, CA, USA

Aug 162001

While driving 65 to 75mph, vehicle started drifting to the left, consumer corrected, but vehicle kept pulling to the right, vehicle then rolled over 1 1/2 times, the tie rod had snapped, strut assembly broke, and cv joint separated, housing broke from metal, roof caved in, trunk smashed into, and pushed rear seat inward killing 3 passengers, fire department cut 5 passengers out, 2 were injured, the vehicles structure kept buckling and collapsing inward.

- Canyon City, CO, USA

Nov 012001

Consumer was traveling 15mph suddenly vehicle pulled to the right. Consumer went off the road trying to veer to left, and vehicle kept pulling to the right. Vehicle stopped on impact by hitting a tree. Front right passenger's side was damaged. Officer at the scene stated vehicle wasn't traveling too fast according how air bag deployed. Consumer was waiting for insurance adjuster to inspect vehicle.

- Wheatley, NY, USA