CarComplaints.com Notes: Here's a disturbing trend for the 2002 Nissan Altima: the engine starts burning oil like crazy, the catalytic converter goes bad, the head gasket blows and eventually the entire engine needs replacement. Sound familiar? Like a script from a horror film, these Altimas seem doomed to fail around 95k miles.

8.4

1. replace the floor (10 reports)
  3. repair floor (3 reports)
2002 Nissan Altima body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Nissan Altima:

2002 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Sep 252008

Altima S 2.5L

click to see larger images

floors rusting out floors rusting out floors rusting out floors rusting out floors rusting out floors rusting out

I have owned this Altima for 2 1/2 years, i noticed my drivers side carpet was dirty, thought i would go a head an pressure wash the carpet, the pan on the right side is fine at this point, after i completely gutted the entire inside of the car, seats, trim, center console, I went to put my driver seat back in so i could drive the car down to the car wash, as i was putting my seat back in i heard a crunching noise on this black panel, was thinking i hope its not what im hearing, as I pulled up the panel, I found a rust hole big enough to put my entire foot thought, Ive called Nissan north America and reported the problem, playing dumb with them, asked if this is the 1st time they have heard of this issue and they said yes, after their im sorry bs, I turned around and said ive done my research talked to other Altima owners and have listed this complaint onto various websites, I feel Nissan needs to buy back this car at the price i paid for it, plus all the money ive spent into repairs over the time ive owned it. If you have an Altima you need to check out your floor pans, you may have the same issue going on and not aware. This will be the last Nissan i will ever buy, plan to buy an older Pontiac Bonneville shortly as ive located one here in town, this car who knows what Ill be doing with it, yes its paid for but disappoint with this car. Had hopes of owning it for 15 years, but looks like 3 years will be maxed. The photo's attached are actual pictures from this car and the rust holes in the pans. once again, i hope someone does a civil lawsuit i want to join. Nissan has failed me yet once again, their cars are garbage. I have no issue sharing these with our local media, newspapers, etc why not ill just plaster them all over the net.

- , n/a, IA, USA

Jul 072008

Altima 3.2L

Well I will keep it short. owner of a 2002 Altima ; car has been services at the Nissan dealer for over 5 years; well to my surprise after a service call three week ago I was told by the service person, to come into the area where they actually service the cars(note never been in there before) he then showed me another Altima that have huge holes in them; proceed to tell me that is the same thing on my car except on both sides of the underbody. I was in total shock. He then referred me to call Nissan Canada, because he felt that this may b e as a result of a defective material. I call and off course all they can do was apologized. I went back to the dealer and was referred to their body shop person. I went and he took a look and stated "I am not going to even touch that, but gave me an estimate of over $3200.00. Again call back Nissan and they were quite apologetic. but no assistance offered. I spoke a few times with the servicer manager who responded, "well my technicians are not trained to look for rust holes." In the same breath she stated, "well if it is a safety issue then we will make a note and advise the customer.: WEll obviously that is so contradictory. In any event I have and independent person take a look at the car and note the following. 1) this did not happen in the last 2 months as alleged by Nissan. 2) I bought a rust proofing package when I purchased the car , only no to be told it is actually crap and was pointed out to me that areas of the car that should have been rust proof was never done.

I AM TOTALLY DISGUSTED, BECAUSE THIS WAS LITTLE DREAM CAR. AFTER INVESTING TO PURCHASING THE CAR AND KEEP IT MAINTAINED ONLY TO HAVE THIS HAPPEN. I WANT NISSAN TO TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY, BECAUSE THE DEALER SHOULD HAVE ADVISED ME MUCH EARLIER THAT NOW AND IF IT A DEFECTIVE/POOR SUBSTANCE OR PART THAT WAS USE THEN DEFINITELY THEY SHOULD TAKE RESPONSIBILITY. SECONDLY THE COMMENTS MADE BY THE DEALER ABOUT HER TECHNICIANS ARE NOT TRAINED, IS A LOAD OF CRAP, BECAUSE AS NOTE ABOVE SHE ALSO STATED IS IT WAS A SAFETY ISSUE THEN THEY WILL NOTIFY ME. I BELIEVE THE STAGE IT IS AT AND EVEN PRIOR TO THE STAGE IT IS IS A SAFETY ISSUE. WELL THAT IS IT IN BRIEF. SO WHAT CAN BE DONE OR WHAT IS NISSAN PREPARED TO DO

- , Toronto, Ontario, Canada