CarComplaints.com Notes: Here's a disturbing trend for the 2002 Nissan Altima: the engine starts burning oil like crazy, the catalytic converter goes bad, the head gasket blows and eventually the entire engine needs replacement. Sound familiar? Like a script from a horror film, these Altimas seem doomed to fail around 95k miles.

2002 Nissan Altima engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Nissan Altima:

2002 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Mar 212010

Altima SL 2.5L

Bought this car brand new in 2002. Never had any major problems until two months ago. . It started with the engine making a loud noise. Took the car to the dealership and was told that I had a blown head gasket in the 3rd cylinder. I have had this car serviced faithfully according to the manual. After paying $1400.00 to get the car repaired, and was told the it should be fine because I have kept the car maintain. This weekend I took a trip to New Jersey and on the way back the car started making a roaring noise and started slowing down. Thank God I was right at an exit. made it to a store and the car shut down. Lift the hood up and the reservoir tank was bubbling like a hot pot of water.

Call and tow truck and had it towed to a Nissan dealer. They called and said the motor had locked down. Cost anywhere from $5000 to $6000 to repair. I am so D___M mad. After seeing that I wasn't the only with the problems I got even madder. Nissan knowing that they have this problem and will not do anything. I am willing to join the fight with you guys. I've already added my name to the lawsuit. Who has that kind of money? I lost my job 7 months ago and been looking for work. I can't even do that now because I don't have a car. The car still looks good though. Guess I can take my rims off and sell them. Nissan you will never have to worry about me ever again!!!!!!!!!

- , Albemarle, NC, USA