CarComplaints.com Notes: Here's a disturbing trend for the 2002 Nissan Altima: the engine starts burning oil like crazy, the catalytic converter goes bad, the head gasket blows and eventually the entire engine needs replacement. Sound familiar? Like a script from a horror film, these Altimas seem doomed to fail around 95k miles.

8.0

2. replace crank shaft sensor (1 reports)
2002 Nissan Altima engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Nissan Altima:

2002 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Apr 072009

Altima 2.5L

my 2002 Nissan Altima has all the symptoms as everybody has described in this forum the engine cranks and when ever it feels like starting it starts and the SES light is on ,i took it to the dealer and at first they said it was a shorted wire in one of the harnesses, after i got the car it was working fine for about 2 days then it started all over again i called the dealer and explained to them the problem was still there i took it in then they told me it was a fuel pump this time they said they were not going to charge me for the labor only the part sure enough the problem is still there .I'm very disappointed in Nissan i thought they had a better product then this

- , Corona, NY, USA

Dec 292008

Altima 2.5L

I WILL NEVER EVER EVER buy any crap Nissan makes again.

After replacing an engine last year because, as others reported on this site, the oil in the freaking tank magically disappeared and the so called techs don't have a clue how it happened. Give me an F'ing break... Now, exactly one year later, I back the car out of the garage and it wouldn't start again. The mechanic said it needs a new crankshaft sensor. Once again Nissan has violated me, I feel like I'm in prison!

If you're thinking of buying a nissan, do yourself a favor, save your money and buy a Ford or Saturn.

- , Mesa, AZ, USA

Aug 092007

Altima 2.5S V6

I have Had nothinh but problems with the car since I bought it. I bought it used in 2006. In March of 2007 the engine light came on and the car started to not want to start on the first time. In April the dealer had already told me that the problem was the catalytic convertor and the pull shaft.. So I had it replaced. Worked fine for a week. Then the light came on again. Now the car isnt starting at all. My warranty is out and get this. The person who had the car before me had a new engine put in. So the engine in the car only had MAYBE 20000 miles on it. I dont know what to do.. I am now in Manassas VA and my car is in Mississippi. I had to leave it there becasue I moved and my grandmother is now nice enough to try to get it fixed.

- , Manassas, VA, USA