8.7

2004 Nissan Altima engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Altima:

2004 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Jun 022011

Altima SL 2.5L V4

The Nissan brakes are very bad, the driver side of the vehicle window blocks the view of on coming vehicle. It blinds you from on coming vehicles. It's a 4 cilinder gas eater. And most of all, the engine shuts down when the engine lights come on, you know sevice light. This is a very bad investment. I recomend no future investment in this type vehicle. Be very careful when purchasing the Nissan vehicles.

- , Fort Worth, TX, USA

Aug 012010

Altima

It's really scary to be driving on the hwy at 60mph and have your car turn off. There's gotta be some kind of a recall on this car. Does anyone know where to go to find out?

- , Round Rock, TX, USA

Jul 222010

Altima 2.5S 2.5L 4 cyl

Any time the engine is running,it is subject to quitting all the way from sitting in our driveway to running down the interstate highway at 70 miles per hour. It has done both more than once. I have not been to the dealer with this problem,yet, and based upon the experiences of everyone I've read about,it doesn't seem like it will do any good. It appears the most common factor is the crankshaft position sensor. I believe my next move is to pull the code for the "service engine soon" light and,if it points to the CPS,change that sensor. That seems to be the least costly solution,however temporary it may be. As others have said, this problem can be a very dangerous one,especially at higher speeds. It seems to be worse after the engine has come up to operating temperature and even more so on some of the hotter days we've had recently.

- , Clarksville, AR, USA

Mar 212010

Altima S 2.5L V4

I own a 2004 nissan altima 2.5. I bought it about 5 months ago and after 2 month of driving it the check engine light went on. I replaced the engine oil and still lit up after 30 miles. this time it had that jerking motion. but doesnt cut off the engine I also has trouble starting randomly. Had it diagnosed and called out crankshaft sensor and speed sensor. replaced the crankshaft sensor and still jerked after driving about 30 minutes.

this problem is really anoying.. cant really tell anything about the speed sensor because there are different kinds, ABS speed sensor, transmission speed sensor, output ss, vehicle ss. so whick one really. this car only has 62000 miles and its having this problem.

- , Lemoore, CA, USA

Jun 032009

Altima 2.5L

While driving on a main highway my car just died and I was almost rear ended by a truck doing 50 miles per hour. The car also died out three other times till I went online to see if others had same problem and sure enough they did! I Was told by nissan the ECM needed to be reprogrammed, so they did but never addressed the original problem which was the crank sensor and cam sensor. They sent me back out on the road and 2 months later the same thing happened, now the service engine soon light comes on, I bring it in and they tell me it is the cam shaft position sensor. They replaced it at a cost of about 170.00 and nissan will not cover it, even since they knew it was a defect. Now I am expecting the crank sensor to go out. So they sent me back out on the road knowing that the crank sensor will most likely fail and I could be rear ended. Called nissan main office and they will not cover the repair and are aware of the defect. How many complaints or accidents do they need to hear of before they have a recall on this issue???????????????

- , Kapaa, HI, USA

Oct 302009

Altima ES 2.5L

I was driving my Nissan Altima 2004 down the highway and without any warnings it cuts off i just put it in neutral (still going and scared as hell) started and it works again and then the next day it happened again in stop light. then in two days have the car shut down three times! I just flip the hazards now, wait for few mints and crank it back up.I got it checked and they couldn't find anything wrong changed the fuel filter hope it works.

- , Dallas, TX, USA