CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Nissan Altima has two fairly significant problems with the floor pan rusting through & motor mounts breaking.

Altima owners report that up to a basketball-size hole develops under the floor mats where the floor pan metal rusts through. Average repair cost is over $1,000.

The broken motor mounts are less of a problem - they break at ~75,000 miles average & it's $400 to fix. Still, motor mounts should not break!

7.8

1. replace door handle (8 reports)
  3. nissan replaced door handle (1 reports)
2005 Nissan Altima accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Altima:

2005 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Dec 222014

Altima 2.5L

Second door handle to break off, nearly the same way as the first. Cold outside, no unusual strain or effort being exerted on the handle. Just POP!

Jan 102016

Altima 2.5L

Third time I've had a door handle snap off in the cold. Has happened in each of the last 3 winters. Rear passenger 2 years ago, front passenger last year, front driver this year. No significant effort being exerted on the handles. It just happens to be cold (around 20 degrees or below). Handles snap almost the same way each time. I can still use a finger to lift one edge of the handle, but paying $200-300 to replace handles is NOT cool.

Feb 032014

Altima 2.5L

First door handle to break off (have had 3 now in each of last 3 winters). No unusual force. Only cold air. Had this one replaced for $200-$300.

Jan 112015

Altima E V4

Things went from bad to terrible, this is the 2nd handle that got broke while opening the door. Can't believe Nissan sold such low quality cheap handles. I mean 50 year old cars still have their handles.

- , Columbus, USA

Sep 072015

Altima SE-R 3.5L V6

This is the second door handle that has broken off of my car. The first one was a couple of years ago, same thing happened. It snapped off when attempting to open the door while it was locked, NO EXCESSIVE force was used.

- , Deland, FL, USA

Jun 102013

Altima SE-R 3.5L V6

2 Down and 2 left to snap off, awesome. It wouldn't be so bad if you could buy the door handle already painted for the same price they are unpainted. PLASTIC door handles, REALLY???

- , Deland, FL, USA

Aug 132014

Altima SE V6

I have had 3 doors handles all break within 2 months. At first I thought someone is messing with my car. Then I go to a body shop and they tell me that this is a common thing to happen on the Nissan's. If this is the case they definitely need to do a recall on these plastic cheap door handles. It's going to cost around $300 bucks to repair. I feel Nissan should be sending me a check to get this fixed. Even though I have one door handle left on the passenger side, I feel that I may go ahead and have that fixed as well cause I know it's coming. SMH...

- , Waxhaw, NC, USA

Dec 302014

Altima S 2.5L

Again another door handle broke off while trying to open a locked door. Not much pressure was exerted on the handle. My best guess is the handle is made of cheap plastic.

- , Waycross, GA, USA

Nov 072013

Altima S 2.5L

Just disappointed in the handle on the car being plastic .. Nissan should know better.

- , Laurel, MS, USA

Dec 152012

Altima 3.2L

Within 1 week both front door handles just snapped off in my hand. I wasn't using a great amount of force, just opening like normal. I have since seen over a dozen Altima's with the same problem. This has to be some sort of defect. It sucks trying to get the doors open without breaking a nail, not to mention a little embarrassing at times.

- , Willis, TX, USA

May 012012

Altima 4 cyl

I am down 3 door handles just napping off- it is a 2005 Nissan and I was told by the service department that the handles are plastic and after 5 years they get brittle and snap off- not a defect and i would cost me $200 door to repair. I am able to slip my finger under the latch to open the door and will have to deal with it as I cannot afford to fix it. I will never buy another Nissan as they do not own up to their defects in manufacturing the car.

- , Viera, FL, USA