Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005 Nissan Altima has two fairly significant problems with the floor pan rusting through & motor mounts breaking.

Altima owners report that up to a basketball-size hole develops under the floor mats where the floor pan metal rusts through. Average repair cost is over $1,000.

The broken motor mounts are less of a problem - they break at ~75,000 miles average & it's $400 to fix. Still, motor mounts should not break!

2005 Nissan Altima body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Altima:

2005 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 10 of 14)

Oct 112013

Rusted floorboards.

- Sun Prairie, WI, USA

Oct 112013

Altima 6-cyl

Undercarriage rust (2005 Altima 3.5 SE) - thankfully I went to get my oil changed at a new place where they use a lift versus just servicing from underneath the service deck.once the car was raised, the mechanic noticed my passenger side floor board was completely rusted through!! my uncle had just told me he experienced the same thing with his 2004 maxima. After searching the internet, this is a very common problem for us Nissan owners. I find it so hard to believe Nissan will not issue a recall for this known problem. How can the cars not have any rust anywhere else, but specific passenger and/or driver undercarriage areas?? what a safety hazard! please take responsibility Nissan and do the right thing!!

- Round Lake Beach, IL, USA

Sep 012013

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the floorboards were rusted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure was confirmed. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 74,000.

- Cranston, RI, USA

Sep 202013

Took car for state inspection only to find out that my drivers side floor board is completely rusted through to the carpet. This is a serious safety issue Nissan should have addressed a long time ago.

- Dover, PA, USA

Mar 282013

Recently while getting new tires installed at a tire shop, I was informed by the service technician that there was floor pan rust on both the driver and passenger side of my car. This rust couldn't of happened overnight since the rust is about to break through the carpet as if it were a 15-20 yr. Old car. The rust is located in the same spot on each side by the driver and passenger floor mats. On a shop lift you can see that the rust initially formed on each side where the drain holes were installed. At Nissan's request, I took my car (bought new) to the nearest Nissan for inspection. My complaint with Nissan corporate was that there should be a recall on floor pan rust as it is a safety concern I.e the seat can malfunction and also carbon dioxide could get inside the car. I also mentioned that I was aware any kind of rust was out of warranty and that the reason for the rust has nothing to do with living in high salt state. After extensive research, it became apparent that this has to be a design flaw by Nissan and that there are thousands of complaints on mainly 2nd gen. Altima having this adv. Floor pan rust in the exact same areas!! if the rust was sporadic, then salt would most likely be a cause, and if wet snowy shoes was the problem then there would be rust under the rear floor pans. As a result, as noted on the Nissan forum website, a more valid cause is design flaw, drain holes were improperly installed allowing water to congregate and rust to form. After Nissan investigated my file, they stated that there was nothing they could do to help. Not even partial reimbursement. I find this unbelievable and unacceptable.this 2nd generation Altima floor pan rust is so common that even my neighbor's 05 Altima has the same rust spots as well. What also disappoints me is that I have had all of my oil changes done by Nissan and rust was never mentioned once.

- Streamwood, IL, USA

Aug 282013

Altima 4-cyl

Floor board on passenger side front has rusted severely. My car has been in for service to hoffman Nissan in West simsbury ct at least twice every year and they never mentioned a problem. This is now a safety issue. I was made aware of the rust after I had an oil change at the local garage who recommended an auto body shop down the road. I had the auto body shop look at it today 8/28/13. They told me that this problem has been ongoing for 3 to 5 years. They told me that every time it was put on a lift it was obvious. What do they look at for safety?? every visit for scheduled maintenance I am told that I need additional work - always over $500 worth. I am convinced this was is a defect that should have been taken care of years ago. How many repairs did I approve that didn't really need to be done. Sad to say that I will never again trust the hoffman dealership. The consumer stated the dealer has done an amazing job at trying to resolve the floorboard rust board. The dealer and the consumer came to an amicable agreement on the repair of the floorboard.

- New Hartford, CT, USA

Aug 012013

Altima 4-cyl

Took my Altima in for service and mechanic informed me and showed me that both passenger and driver floor boards have rusted through.

- Marlborough, MA, USA

Aug 222013

Altima 4-cyl

The front passenger side floor panel rusted completely through from the inside out. Large gaping hole underneath the carpet. Vehicle has been garaged since new. Weather conditions during winter months have been mild. Vehicle was pa inspected December 2012 and passed then. Defective structural sheetmetal steel. Other similar complaints on record through NHTSA.

- Lansdale, PA, USA

Aug 072013

There is a rust hole on the passenger side and the carpet is lowering down. I am not sure how to get it fixed. Seems like many other have the similar issue.

- Duluth, GA, USA

Aug 072013

Altima 4-cyl

The floor-boards on the 2005 Nissan Altima are clearly defective. This vehicle has been garaged ever since day one, and has been taken care of extensively. Two giant rust holes on the driver and front passenger floor-boards have developed due to poor materials and design. This is a serious safety concern and shouldn't be overlooked. The rust affects the vehicles crash tolerance, and structural integrity. Nissan should be held responsible, and should issue a recall to fix the defective floorboards.

- Ypsilanti , MI, USA

May 202013

Altima 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the frame was rusted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who confirmed the failure. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 90090. Upated 09/17/13

- Newark, DE, USA

Jun 012013

I have rust holes in the floor panel of my 2005 Altima. It will not pass inspection and while driving the hole is big enough that I can feel it under my foot through the carpet. I talked to my mechanic about a fix and he said he has done about 8-10 of these cars for the exact same problem. Looking online, this is a common flaw that many Altima owners have and it is an incredible safety concern. There should be a class action suit against Nissan based on the responses they are giving people who are asking them for help with the repair.

- Chalfont, PA, USA

Jul 152013

Went to get an oil changed and when completed the technician told me there was corrosion and rust in the floor under the passenger and driver side of the vehicle. After inspecting it, the floor board seems to be completely rotted/rusted through and you can see the inside of the car. He told me that it's wear and tear and maybe an autobody shop can fix it or I should trade in as soon as possible. This seems to be a design flaw and a very big safety issue. This is a body defect that needs to be addressed. Why doesn't Nissan realize this is not just one case.

- Somerset, NJ, USA

Jul 112013

Altima 6-cyl

I just noticed that floorboard are extremely rusted and rotted. I probably not noticed and this has happened long time ago since rust is that deep. Need help.

- Dublin, OH, USA

Jul 102013

Altima 4-cyl

Went to get an oil change today for car and when the car was on the lift I had noticed some discoloring in the floor under the passenger and driver side of the vehicle. After inspecting it, the floor board seems to be completely rotted/rusted through and you can see the inside of the car. This seems to be a very big safety issue. Exhaust fumes can enter the car while in park or stopped. A foot can go through the floor and cause a very dangerous situation. This is a body defect that needs to be addressed.

- East Meadow, NY, USA

Jun 182013

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for an unrelated issue and they noticed there was a hole covered with rust on the front passenger's side floorboard. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 99,817.

- Weston, MA, USA

Jul 052013

Altima 4-cyl

Car was bought in Utah and used in Utah and Colorado mainly. The driver side floor pan is rusted through and needs fixing / replacement. This is a structural safety issue. Car is less than 10yrs old and shouldn't show this issue this early.

- Castle Rock, CO, USA

May 202013

Altima 4-cyl

Nissan is garage kept with no rust on vehicle. Muffler on since 2006 and floorboards completely rusted through - muffler still good. Contacted Nissan Consumer Affairs and they would not cover. Paid dealer $1755 to repair since cheaper than new car and will drive until wheels fall off. Since no injuries yet, is this the reason nothing is being done. Seems to be many complaints on Altima from 2003-2006. Check out youtube -

- Mundelein, IL, USA

Jul 012013

2005 Nissan Altima floor boards have rusted through which can lead to exhaust fumes entering the car, a safety issue. The floor panels should not rust completely through in 9 years. While living in new england does expose the car to salt, I would go through the car wash on a regular basis. During a routine oil change, I was informed the car would not pass inspection and that there were holes in the floorboard. I took photos documenting the issue. The rest of the undercarriage is in good shape but the area under the floor boards is completely bowed out and eaten through. This is shoddy materials and (lack of) craftmanship. I have seen many other similar issues posted to the database and wanted to lodge a complaint as part of my claim to Nissan. I have also replaced the oil pan which is also quite prone to rusting quickly.

- Newport Ri, SD, USA

Jun 252013

Altima 6-cyl

Rust holes in driver and passenger floor boards due to design flaw.

- Ballston Spa, NY, USA