CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Nissan Altima has two fairly significant problems with the floor pan rusting through & motor mounts breaking.

Altima owners report that up to a basketball-size hole develops under the floor mats where the floor pan metal rusts through. Average repair cost is over $1,000.

The broken motor mounts are less of a problem - they break at ~75,000 miles average & it's $400 to fix. Still, motor mounts should not break!

2005 Nissan Altima body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Altima:

2005 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 12 of 14)

Aug 102012

Altima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that after exiting the vehicle, she noticed that her pants had become wet. After inspecting the vehicle she noticed that there were holes in the frame under the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis where the contact was informed that the frame was corroded. The corrosion was so severe that the vehicle was deemed as unsafe to drive. The dealer was notified but offered no assistance. The manufacturer was notified and advised that the corrosion failure was to be expected because she resided in the new england area. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 64,000.

- Braintree, MA, USA

Oct 312012

Altima 4-cyl

Severe rusting on driver and passenger floorboards that is resulting in weakened frame and structure. Need help getting Nissan to fix this know issue with this make and model. Thank you.

- Caledonia, MI, USA

Sep 042012

Altima 6-cyl

I took my vehicle for an oil change and the technician showed me that my floor boards under my driver and passenger side seats were rusted out and forming holes into the cabin of my car. He was able to poke all the way through and push up my carpet on my driver side floor. I was issued a factory recall around 2008 from Nissan about living in a road salted state (NJ) and the undercarriage needed to be replace. I brought my car in for the recall in Nov 2009. It seems they did not replace all the affected areas. I contacted Nissan today via their 1-800 # and was told there was no longer a warranty or recall out for my vehicle concerning this issue. I drive the Nissan as my main transportation for my children and I can not afford to fix this issue out of my own pocket. It is unsafe and unexpected from a 7 year old car purchase brand new.

- Waretown, NJ, USA

Sep 242012

Altima 4-cyl

Fully rusted driver and passenger floor boards. Can see interior rug underneath vehicle. Have done a lot of research and this appears to be a known issue with Nissan from 2002 and 2005 related to cars in salt states. Have seen many comments that defective steel was used. We have been advised that the structural integrity of our car is compromised. Dealer wants $1200 to cut out rotted floor boards and weld in new floor panels. Have contacted Nissan customer care and opened case. Regional manager called and refuses to offer any coverage for this issue. Also, Nissan as a corporation has decided that they are not going to offer any assistance to owners with this widespread problem.

- Ipswich, MA, USA

Oct 112012

Altima 4-cyl

When I wen't to trade my car for a new one I was told by the dealer they wern't interested in my car because of rusted floor boards.they said this was a problem with nisan Altima and there should have been a recall.why wasn't nisan required to have a recall since this is a serious safty problem with Altima?other nisan cars don't seem to have this problem.now I fear for my families safty when I drive this car.

- Barnesville, OH, USA

Sep 252012

Altima 4-cyl

Floor boards on both driver's and passenger's side severely corroded; affected area ~8X12 inches. Boards and sheet metal rusted through completely on both driver's and passenger's side, forming ~2X2 inch holes.

- Cold Spring Harbor, NY, USA

Sep 102012

Altima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while the vehicle was having routine maintenance performed by an authorized dealer, it was found that the front passenger and driver side floor boards were severely rusted. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted. The failure and current mileages were 65,000.

- North Canton, OH, USA

Sep 222012

Altima 4-cyl

Vehicle floor under body below passenger and driver seat has rusted and about to get a hole. I called Nissan service center and they say its not in warranty. But its a safety issue and the model is just 7 years old with 89000 miles on it.

- Weatogue, CT, USA

Aug 082012

Altima

I was changing the oil on my 2005 Nissan Altima and realized the floorboards are nearly completely rusted through. I lifted the carpet inside the cabin and realized it is rusted through. I had my oil changed at the local Nissan dealership for oil changes. When I inquired about the floorboards they stated Nissan Altima 2005 had a 5 year corrosive warranty for the underbody and it is out of warranty for this repair. I am concerned of the safety of driving this model. The rusted floorboards are near the front driver seats. I am also concerned because of water or mold near the front floor vents could enter the cabin through the rusted floorboards. The fort wayne Nissan stated they did not notice this rust during my oil changes. I began changing my oil when the car was just out of warranty. I immediately realized the rusty floorboards. This is a common problem in all 2002-2005 Nissan Altima problems. I would like Nissan of North America to address and resolve this issue.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Jan 052012

Altima 4-cyl

I got used 2005 Nissan Altima, when I got I didn't check under car. After few months I was at dealer for recalls and they told me that my car has rusted floorboard pan and its big hole in body, through that we can touch the carpet of inside car, and that kind of 2 big( approx. 8-10 inch) spot, one driver side and one passenger side, I tried to contact Nissan Consumer Affairs, but they said its not covered with warranty or any kind of recalls, means I have to fix them by myself. Its weird that its not that old car and only particular two spots not anywhere else under whole car so its kind of design mistake, some says its water drainage is holding water on that spots and that's why its getting rusted. But may be Nissan company must know exactly what is wrong with design and how to solve because its not just 10-15, its all customers problem who owns 2005 Nissan Altima.

- Bridgeville, PA, USA

Aug 172012

Altima 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken for a routine oil change when the mechanic advised her that there were holes in the front driver and passenger side floorboards. The manufacturer was notified and informed the contact that they would not assist with the repair costs. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and the current mileages were 107,000. Updated 11/27/12 the consumer stated there are wholes on equal places on both the driver and passenger's side floor board. Updated 11/28/2012

- Braintree, MA, USA

Aug 062012

Altima 4-cyl

When having my oil changed the garage noted extreme root on the front drivers and passenger floor boards. The mechanic informed me that they could see the interior carpeting that would allow exhaust fumes to leak into the vehicle.

- Tewksbury, MA, USA

Aug 132012

Altima

I noticed a loose piece of hanging metal from underneath the front passenger side of my 2005 Nissan Altima. I looked underneath and quickly found that approximately an 8" X 20" floorboard section behind the front right wheel was completely rusted out and crumbled to the ground upon touching it. The approximate mileage is 135,000 miles. This appears to be a common complaint with this make and model and Nissan needs to acknowledge that this is a manufacturing defect. It is expected this would be an issue 40 years ago, but not with today's cars.

- Morristown, NJ, USA

Jun 062012

Altima

I brought my car to be serviced at glick Nissan, the diagnostic report said that the left and right sides of the floor under passenger and driver seats are rusted out. I brought my car for a second opinion from another mechanic and his report said the rust is severe and in 6 months my car will be worth nothing! upon further investigation, I find that thousands of other Nissan customers are experiencing the same problem due to a defective product used by Nissan. I filed a claim with Nissan North America, they are claiming zero responsibility, labeling the issue as an "environmental concern" and will in no way assist with repairs. Nissan should take responsibility for this issue.

- Westborough, MA, USA

Jun 122012

Altima 4-cyl

It was noticed during inspection that the passenger side floorboards were starting to peel away. This is a known problem with this vehicle. Contacted Nissan about correcting the problem and they did not want to take responsibility for their poor engineering and materials of the vehicle. They should make good on the problem but they said because they didn't have enough service history, the car was out of warranty, it had to many miles. All reasons that have nothing to do with poor materials and workmanship. I think Nissan should take responsibility and correct the problem they should be investigated about the problem. This is not an isolated problem.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Aug 012012

Altima 4-cyl

The floor is all rusted out and will not pass inspection.

- Nashua, NH, USA

Jul 092012

Altima 6-cyl

I had my 2005 Nissan Altima at my local mechanic to have some rattling underneath my car looked at. There was a loose heat shield that the mechanic fixed and he also notified me that there were large areas of rust along both floorboards. This vehicle has been meticulously maintained and washed in the winter. The last time the car was at there mechanic, there was no rust evident. Unfortunately my car is no longer under warranty and I would like Nissan to acknowledge that this is a manufacturing defect.

- Middleton, WI, USA

Jul 112012

Altima 4-cyl

My vehicle is a low mileage garaged 2005 Nissan Altima which is in perfect condition except that the driver and passenger side floor boards are rotted out so that you can step through. Vehicle has been garaged and meticulously maintained with fresh water cleaning of the undercarriage when washed and especially in the spring. This is a serious safety hazard with potential for injury stepping through and possible death from exhaust fumes causing unconsciousness while driving. This is an obvious vehicle defect and should be recalled. I have read numerous incidents of this problem both on this nhtsb site and in owner forums so it is a well known problem that needs top be addressed.

- Chelmsford, MA, USA

May 242012

Altima

After jacking up my mother's car for an oil change, while I was placing jack stands behind the front wheels in the appropriate jacking points, I noticed that the floor panels looked swollen underneath the rust proofing material. I began to poke at it with my finger, and my finger pushed through the rust proofing and all kinds of severely rusted metal began to fall out on the garage floor. The steel floor panel, had basically turned to rusted dust. I was able to push my finger up through the floor panel until I could feel the bottom of the carpet. Noticing no other rust anywhere else near by, I figured it had to be a manufacturing defect, so I decided to check the driver's side same location, and sure enough, was able to push my finger through the rust proofing and through rotted steel like it was nothing. This is obviously a manufacturer defect as there is absolutely no rust anywhere else on the car. The car has very low mileage, and has been very well maintained, as well as garage kept. Nissan needs to acknowledge this as a manufacturing defect, and a safety issue.

- Porter, ME, USA

Jul 112012

Altima

Today while performing an oil change on my girlfriends 2005 Nissan Altima I noticed a large hole in the floor of the car. There is a large rusted out hole, only on one side of the vehicle that goes completely through to the inside. In exactly the same place on the opposite side of the car there is no rust at all. This car is washed regularly, and has no rust on the paintwork anywhere. Upon looking it up on the internet there appears to be many many people with this issue, and Nissan is trying to cover it up and not cover the replacement of parts that are clearly defective. Please help me hold them accountable.

- Everett, MA, USA