CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Nissan Altima has two fairly significant problems with the floor pan rusting through & motor mounts breaking.

Altima owners report that up to a basketball-size hole develops under the floor mats where the floor pan metal rusts through. Average repair cost is over $1,000.

The broken motor mounts are less of a problem - they break at ~75,000 miles average & it's $400 to fix. Still, motor mounts should not break!

2005 Nissan Altima body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Altima:

2005 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 2 of 14)

May 152016

Altima

There is a rust/corrosion hole in the floorboard below the drivers feet. I'm sure it has been there for a while but I just noticed it recently because I saw a piece of the floor dangling below the car.

- Oregon, WI, USA

Dec 012015

Altima

2005 Nissan Altima with 60,000 miles on it needed drivers side floor replaced, dealer tried to tell me this was from snow and salt. Vehicle is located in philadelphia and not driven in this type of weather. Nissan manufactures a replacement set of floor pans but does not recognize the defect. I had to buy the set so I have the passenger side for when that rust out. This was not a cheap fix and based on age, condition and mileage, this should never have happened.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Apr 222016

Altima

My front floorboards rotted out resulting in a safety issue and a $1,200 repair bill. It was discovered at a Rhode Island state inspection.

- Narragansett, RI, USA

Jan 012016

Altima

Many complaints are on the web from owners of Nissan Altima regarding floor boards rusting away. My 2005 Nissan Altima has such a problem even though it is garage kept. I am afraid that I will fall through the rusted out floor boards or my seat will fall through while I or any other driver is driving the vehicle. I 1st noticed how flimsy the floor boards were made after a week of having the car. This is a dangerous situation that the manufacturer should recall this car to fix. Please see the following web site: Https://consumerist.com/2015/04/06/nhsta-complaints-show-rusted-floorboards-in-older-Nissan-Altima-create-fred-flintstone-cars/ my friend spend over $1000 to have the floor boards repaired and I know more. Thanks julio mora

- Flushing, NY, USA

Nov 012015

Altima

From the auto body shop's diagnostic & estimate report: "rf interior foot space sunk in more" & "floor board rusted out on both front driver & passenger sides". in other words, the metal floor panels in front of both front seats have prematurely corroded to failure, in which the floor is no longer safely supports the occupants & the barrier between inside & outside the vehicle has been breached. Upon investigation this problem is a common with vehicles of this make, model, & year. The metal floor panel & its corrosion resistance are the manufacturer's error & are a safety risk to the users. I am worried about the possibility of a foot or item falling through the floor, exhaust or other fumes entering the interior, & the car's performance in an accident.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Feb 182016

Altima

Front floor boards rusted out both sides. Set a battery on floor board and it made floor cave in. I looked under car and half of the rusty floor board pieces fell on my driveway. No rust anywhere else on vehicle. This not safe and needs to be fixed.

- Kc, KS, USA

Feb 272016

Altima

The carpet on the driver side was wet after some heavy snow & rain involved this year. Upon looking underneath, the floor pan was rusting out. The driver side and passenger side both have big holes underneath. Right now, there is nothing protecting my feet from the concrete ground expect for a flimsy carpet since the rust has taken all of the structural support.

- East Orange, NJ, USA

Feb 202016

Altima

Floorboards are rotting out. The vehicle has 120,000 miles on it. Very dangerous to have a foot push through and even undermine body integrity of the vehicle.

- Lynchburg, VA, USA

Feb 202016

Altima

2005 Nissan Altima at recent annual safety inspection my mechanic informed me that the underside of my Altima had severe rust/corrosion eating away at the frame and floorboards. It was bad enough that he had to call his service manager to understand what to do or was the car deemed safe to continue to drive. Eventually the floorboards will fail, anyone know if this is normal for 2005 Nissan Altima?

- Newtown Square, PA, USA

Feb 172016

Altima

My car has a severe floor rust problem. Specifically passenger side floor has big whole and mechanic suggested you may have your feet on road while driving. I just had a baby and I am really scared about this car. Nissan sucks big time. I will never buy Nissan again until and unless they own up the problem.

- New Milford, NJ, USA

Feb 192016

Altima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. While the vehicle was parked, the contact noticed that the front passenger side floorboard was corroded. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 110,000.

- Thornton, IL, USA

Feb 082016

Altima

Multiple owners have complained about a rusting floorboard. This is a Nissan defect. I learned today from the mechanic who did the cars oil change that I have the same problem on my Nissan with both passenger and driver floorboards rusted and have hole in them. I have never seen this in a 10 year old modern car. Just came from an oil change and the mechanic happened to see it. Any help from you would be appreciated. The repair runs into the thousands with the car not even worth that much any more.

- Cary, NC, USA

Jan 312016

Altima

The driver and passenger floors are seriously rusted with holes. I found the condition when I noticed something hanging under the car. It was some sort of plastic material that lined the metal floor inside the car.

- Penfield, NY, USA

Oct 132015

Altima

As the original owner of this Altima, we were alarmed when our son said he could see the carpeting hanging through the bottom of the vehicle. We contacted our Nissan dealer who said the repairs wouldn't be covered and to pursue it with Nissan corporate. We paid out of pocket for the repairs (safety concerns) and formally requested reimbursement. I received a call and was told it was declined due to vehicle's age and due to the fact we're in the "North-East salt states". I asked why 2005 Honda's, Chevy's and Buick's from the same locale aren't experiencing the same issue?? when I asked for a detailed denial of my claim (one citing the reasons I was being given verbally) I was told absolutely not and that Nissan would only supply a "general" letter of denial. Seriously"? does anyone else think this sounds like an unethical practice? all of these similar stories and yet Nissan hasn't been called onto the carpet"

- North Merrick, NY, USA

Dec 122015

Altima

My 2005 nissian Altima has been giving me issues with the shifter when attempting to switch gear from reverse to drive it takes several minutes just for the car to go into gear and when doing so jerks extremely hard...I have also had many issues with it not wanting to start and I will have to place vehicle in neutral then force back into park many times before my car will start...this vehicle has been well maintained and kept very clean...while having car inspected I was informed of the floor boards rotting out...I have tried to contact Nissan and discuss these issues...I have had 000 results in being able to do so...this is very dangerous...if I would have known of these issues I would have never purchased this vehicle...and with the treatment from Nissan...will never purchase any vehicle from them again

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Oct 012015

Altima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the driver's side floor board was rusted. In addition, there was a hole in the floor board. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the floor board needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 67,998. The VIN was not available.

- Northville, MI, USA

Dec 052015

Altima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact noticed a piece of metal hanging underneath the passenger side of the vehicle. The dealer stated that the floor on the passenger side was totally rusted and there was a hole under the carpet. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was invalid. The approximate failure mileage was 178,000.

- Shorewood, IL, USA

Nov 252015

Altima

Undercarriage (floor boards) on passenger & driver side rusted. Holes with flooring carpet showing through.

- Danville, PA, USA

Dec 062015

Altima

The floor boards under the passenger's feet are completely rusted out. This is a huge safety hazard and should be treated as such. From all the reports, it doesn't seem like Nissan or NHTSA is taking this seriously. You can see the road thru the huge holes. When a vehicle that is only 10 years old and spent some of that time down South, away from any possibility of salt on the roads has rusted out floor boards, this is not 'normal' corrosion.

- Cross Plains, WI, USA