CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Nissan Altima has two fairly significant problems with the floor pan rusting through & motor mounts breaking.

Altima owners report that up to a basketball-size hole develops under the floor mats where the floor pan metal rusts through. Average repair cost is over $1,000.

The broken motor mounts are less of a problem - they break at ~75,000 miles average & it's $400 to fix. Still, motor mounts should not break!

2005 Nissan Altima body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Altima:

2005 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 8 of 14)

Jan 012014

Altima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the driver and passenger side floorboards were rusted and created large holes on both sides. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 153,000.

- Davenport, IA, USA

Aug 182014

Altima 6-cyl

On August 18, 2014, after dropping my son off at school. I came to stop at a traffic light and when the light changed, I started to take off and noticed the car has shut down. I eventually made it home with the car going a very low speed and then speed up, but when car to a start the engine stalls. The vehicle was put on a computer to see what the diagnosis were and it was the camshaft sensors and crankshaft sensor costing $80 dollars for two and $70 for another, however these items has been changed along with a tune up and the car is doing the same. After doing some research on the computer, I noticed there were recalls on the crankshaft sensors and the ECM. I contacted Nissan dealer, an appointment was made and I was told that my VIN number is not showing so the problem had to been done, because I'm the second owner. It's funny how this problem comes about after 4 1/2 years of having this vehicle and the recall suppose to have been taking care of with the first owner. This is an inconvenience and it's frustrating. There is also rusting of the floor under the car, you can see the floor coming down from under the car on the passenger side. This is an outrage and something needs to be done at the cost of the dealers and not the owners. This is dangerous, you can be driving at a speed and the car just stop, which can cause a very bad accident.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Sep 232014

Altima

Floor pan on both driver's and passenger's sides has rusted through. Both holes approximately 6"X14" in size. Can see to the ground under gas flap lever. First noticed at 159000 miles.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Jul 232014

Altima 4-cyl

Floorboards are completely rotted through on both driver and passenger sides. No rust anywhere else on car. Carpet can be seen from underneath of car. My mechanic noticed it while working on car.

- Fulton , IL, USA

Sep 012014

Altima 6-cyl

I have had the car since new and the floor boards especially on the drivers side have rotted out and my carpet is getting ruined from the wet roads because it has gotten so bad, I am afraid I may fall thru the floor.

- Walpole, MA, USA

Sep 052014

Altima 4-cyl

Vehicle floor boards have rusted through. This was discovered when I brought the vehicle in for service and was advised by the mechanic not to drive the vehicle as there were 12 inch holes in the floor boards on both the driver's and passenger sides and it was not safe. I filed a complaint with Nissan customer service and was informed that they will not provide any assistance in repairing the vehicle.

- Crystal Lake, IL, USA

Sep 082014

Altima 4-cyl

2005 Nissan Altima with 80,000 miles on it. My father took his car into be inspected and they will not pass it because of the floor boards completely rusted out. After researching this online, there are millions of dissatisfied Nissan owners who are battling this very problem. Now, if my father cannot get his car to pass inspection, he cannot use it. So far, Nissan has not done anything to help with his issue. My father has called countless repair and body shops and no one will repair any rust. Not even the dealership. The customer service rep at the Nissan dealership was nothing more than rude and insensitive but did tell my dad that there have been numerous complaints and repair questions about rusting floor boards. I have seen people call Nissan corporate headquarters with the same "sorry" response. Nissan is looking at a very large class action lawsuit which I will pursue to the fullest because of their lack of respect for their customers and for their craftmanship, lack of concern, lack of solutions. I hope I am joined by anyone else who is battling this problem, leave your complaint here, and hopefully some help will be coming soon!

- Fort Washington, MD, USA

Aug 012014

Altima 4-cyl

This car has very little milage only 25000 miles (42000km) and the passanger floor board is rotted out. I believe that this weakens the body integrity of the car. The rest of the car has not rust what so ever. This seems to be a design fault in the car as thier are quite a lot of complaints on floor boards rotteing out on Nissan Altima 2002 to 2006. I feel Nissan should admit to having design problems for having floor boards rotting out prematurely.

- Cote St Luc, NY, USA

Aug 252014

Altima 6-cyl

My car failed MA inspection because the driver side floor pan is rusted out. The hole is approximately 12 by 10 inches. I found many complaints on the web for the same problem. Nissan refuses to take responsibility. Nissan claims it is caused by salt in the North East, but if that was true, the entire floor pan would have rust, not just isolated to the front driver side. Let me repeat, the rest of the floor pan is flawless, no signs of rust whatsoever. Clearly this is a design or manufacturing flaw. Some customers have both front sides rusted out. My passenger side is fine as the assembly line "hole" has been properly filled in. I have to assume the driver side was left open. There are many pictures on the web showing earlier phases of this problem showing that the rust started at the assembly line hole. Basically, this small hole (1 inch diameter) allows water into the interior. The noise dampening material and carpet soak it up. The wetness goes undetected by the driver because the floor mat has rubber backing, thereby showing no signs of wetness. As with any perpetual metal wetness problem, rust eventually becomes a major problem. Please make Nissan take ownership of this problem. Thank you.

- Rutland, MA, USA

Aug 112014

Altima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the floor board on the driver and passenger sides was severely corroded. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician stated that the vehicle should be deemed totaled. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 73,300.

- Winchester, KY, USA

Aug 012014

Altima

Took my car in for state safety inspection and was told the passenger side floor was rusted thru - I couldn't believe it - had to have the repair completed to pass inspection, now reading numerous complaints that it happen to others - Nissan needs to rethink the recall on this or reimburse for the repair - not cheap to have done!!!!

- Cheswick, PA, USA

Aug 212014

Altima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the floorpan was corroded. The dealer stated that the floorboard needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 133,000.

- Norwich, CT, USA

Aug 202014

Altima 4-cyl

Dropped car off for state inspection. Was told the driver side and passenger side floor boards were rusted through. Not able to pass inspection because of this safety issue. It allows fumes to enter the car and weakens the floor for possibly putting foot or feet through floor board. Definitely a design flaw and safety issue. Nissan should pay or help pay for this defect.

- Hummelstown, PA, USA

Jul 012014

Altima 4-cyl

Just found out the undercarriage of the car is rusted, after researching the issue, I learn that most Nissan Altima owners experience this same safety issue! this is extremely dangerous as the inside floor becomes weak and can cave in from the rust if not repaired. Repair of this issue is costly and I've read that Nissan does not consider this a craftsmanship issue but normal wear and tear. I've never heard of 20th century cars rusting out in this manner, I'm very disappointed in Nissan not backing their product!!

- University Park, IL, USA

Jul 302014

Altima 4-cyl

2005 Nissan Altima with 108K. Just noticed that both driver and passenger floor boards are gone. Rusted all the way through, the only thing there is the carpet backing material showing under the car. This is crazy to have a car with just over 100K and have the steel floor gone. Most certainly a safety issue.

- Poughkespsie, NY, USA

Jul 182014

Altima 4-cyl

I was looking at my car and notice that the floor panels for the passenger and driver are rotted away. After looking at the rest of the car its clear that its not your everyday rust. After doing research online there are hundreds of other people with Nissan Altima's that have the same problems. How is this not a recall by now.

- Lynn, MA, USA

Jul 142014

Altima

My car failed inspection because the floorboards are rusted out. I was told this is very common problem and Nissan needs to have a recall because this is ridiculous. I have never seen a car of this age with the amount of rust it has.

- Goffstown , NH, USA

Jul 142014

Altima 4-cyl

I own a 2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S with 127,000 miles. I noticed rust particles on my driveway and inspected the bottom of my car and discovered that the floor boards on the driver and passenger sides have completely rotted/rusted out. This should not be happening on a car that has been properly maintained. This is a safety issue because of the possibility of fumes and the instability of the car's floor. Nissan should be held accountable for this defect and should pay for the necessary repairs.

- Plainview, NY, USA

Jun 222014

Altima 4-cyl

I have a 2005 Altima 2.5S. I had the severe driver and passenger side floorboard rust problem. The rust is all the way to the floor mat. A big hole on the driver's side. I called the dealer brought the car for inspection and they send me to Nissan North America (800) Nissan-1 or 800-647-7261). They've referred me to with Nissan regional Consumer Affairs regarding the rusted out floorboards. I appreciated their "surprise" and "never heard of this before". when I told him it how bad the driver's and passenger side floor rust problem she said they are not doing anything right now with that because it's normal environmental problem. They will not help on the repair and send me to body shop. The replacement/fix of hold floorboard will cost $1700 including parts and labor. I looked my company 1998 Mazda truck, it has been driven a lot in muddy roads and snow, and no rust at all under the floorboard. I found there are a lot of complaints on the 2002-2006 Nissan Altima floorboard rust problem on google, and Nissan refused to take a recall for this most complaint problem. This is a design/manufacturing defect that Nissan refuses to acknowledge. Fyi: www.nissanforums.com/general-Altima-stanza-discussion/137783-Altima-rust-shocker-5.html I served my car many times in Nissan dealership, including oil changes and whole car inspection. They never mentioned the floorboard rust problem at all to me until I found it. I do believe this is very dangerous problem for a car driven on the road, especially on the highway, and the floorboard can fall anytime. I really hope this can get an attention for everyone who has 02-06 Nissan Altima as well. Get the car repaired soon to reduce the potential fatality incident. I hope Nissan can take the responsibility for that repair. Thank you!

- Eatonton, GA, USA

Jun 262014

Altima 4-cyl

My 2005 failed safety inspection because the floor boards are rusted through. There have been several complaints on the issue. Every mechanic I brought it to for a quote said there should be a recall. Nissan is not willing to help it customers with the repairs. When are you guys going to step in and force Nissan to address this safety issue?

- Methuen, MA, USA