Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005 Nissan Altima has two fairly significant problems with the floor pan rusting through & motor mounts breaking.

Altima owners report that up to a basketball-size hole develops under the floor mats where the floor pan metal rusts through. Average repair cost is over $1,000.

The broken motor mounts are less of a problem - they break at ~75,000 miles average & it's $400 to fix. Still, motor mounts should not break!

2005 Nissan Altima body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Altima:

2005 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 8 of 14)

Sep 052014

Altima 4-cyl

Vehicle floor boards have rusted through. This was discovered when I brought the vehicle in for service and was advised by the mechanic not to drive the vehicle as there were 12 inch holes in the floor boards on both the driver's and passenger sides and it was not safe. I filed a complaint with Nissan customer service and was informed that they will not provide any assistance in repairing the vehicle.

- Crystal Lake, IL, USA

Sep 082014

Altima 4-cyl

2005 Nissan Altima with 80,000 miles on it. My father took his car into be inspected and they will not pass it because of the floor boards completely rusted out. After researching this online, there are millions of dissatisfied Nissan owners who are battling this very problem. Now, if my father cannot get his car to pass inspection, he cannot use it. So far, Nissan has not done anything to help with his issue. My father has called countless repair and body shops and no one will repair any rust. Not even the dealership. The customer service rep at the Nissan dealership was nothing more than rude and insensitive but did tell my dad that there have been numerous complaints and repair questions about rusting floor boards. I have seen people call Nissan corporate headquarters with the same "sorry" response. Nissan is looking at a very large class action lawsuit which I will pursue to the fullest because of their lack of respect for their customers and for their craftmanship, lack of concern, lack of solutions. I hope I am joined by anyone else who is battling this problem, leave your complaint here, and hopefully some help will be coming soon!

- Fort Washington, MD, USA

Aug 012014

Altima 4-cyl

This car has very little milage only 25000 miles (42000km) and the passanger floor board is rotted out. I believe that this weakens the body integrity of the car. The rest of the car has not rust what so ever. This seems to be a design fault in the car as thier are quite a lot of complaints on floor boards rotteing out on Nissan Altima 2002 to 2006. I feel Nissan should admit to having design problems for having floor boards rotting out prematurely.

- Cote St Luc, NY, USA

Aug 252014

Altima 6-cyl

My car failed MA inspection because the driver side floor pan is rusted out. The hole is approximately 12 by 10 inches. I found many complaints on the web for the same problem. Nissan refuses to take responsibility. Nissan claims it is caused by salt in the North East, but if that was true, the entire floor pan would have rust, not just isolated to the front driver side. Let me repeat, the rest of the floor pan is flawless, no signs of rust whatsoever. Clearly this is a design or manufacturing flaw. Some customers have both front sides rusted out. My passenger side is fine as the assembly line "hole" has been properly filled in. I have to assume the driver side was left open. There are many pictures on the web showing earlier phases of this problem showing that the rust started at the assembly line hole. Basically, this small hole (1 inch diameter) allows water into the interior. The noise dampening material and carpet soak it up. The wetness goes undetected by the driver because the floor mat has rubber backing, thereby showing no signs of wetness. As with any perpetual metal wetness problem, rust eventually becomes a major problem. Please make Nissan take ownership of this problem. Thank you.

- Rutland, MA, USA

Aug 112014

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the floor board on the driver and passenger sides was severely corroded. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician stated that the vehicle should be deemed totaled. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 73,300.

- Winchester, KY, USA

Aug 012014

Took my car in for state safety inspection and was told the passenger side floor was rusted thru - I couldn't believe it - had to have the repair completed to pass inspection, now reading numerous complaints that it happen to others - Nissan needs to rethink the recall on this or reimburse for the repair - not cheap to have done!!!!

- Cheswick, PA, USA

Aug 212014

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the floorpan was corroded. The dealer stated that the floorboard needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 133,000.

- Norwich, CT, USA

Aug 202014

Altima 4-cyl

Dropped car off for state inspection. Was told the driver side and passenger side floor boards were rusted through. Not able to pass inspection because of this safety issue. It allows fumes to enter the car and weakens the floor for possibly putting foot or feet through floor board. Definitely a design flaw and safety issue. Nissan should pay or help pay for this defect.

- Hummelstown, PA, USA

Jul 012014

Altima 4-cyl

Just found out the undercarriage of the car is rusted, after researching the issue, I learn that most Nissan Altima owners experience this same safety issue! this is extremely dangerous as the inside floor becomes weak and can cave in from the rust if not repaired. Repair of this issue is costly and I've read that Nissan does not consider this a craftsmanship issue but normal wear and tear. I've never heard of 20th century cars rusting out in this manner, I'm very disappointed in Nissan not backing their product!!

- University Park, IL, USA

Jul 302014

Altima 4-cyl

2005 Nissan Altima with 108K. Just noticed that both driver and passenger floor boards are gone. Rusted all the way through, the only thing there is the carpet backing material showing under the car. This is crazy to have a car with just over 100K and have the steel floor gone. Most certainly a safety issue.

- Poughkespsie, NY, USA

Jul 182014

Altima 4-cyl

I was looking at my car and notice that the floor panels for the passenger and driver are rotted away. After looking at the rest of the car its clear that its not your everyday rust. After doing research online there are hundreds of other people with Nissan Altima's that have the same problems. How is this not a recall by now.

- Lynn, MA, USA

Jul 142014

My car failed inspection because the floorboards are rusted out. I was told this is very common problem and Nissan needs to have a recall because this is ridiculous. I have never seen a car of this age with the amount of rust it has.

- Goffstown , NH, USA

Jul 142014

Altima 4-cyl

I own a 2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S with 127,000 miles. I noticed rust particles on my driveway and inspected the bottom of my car and discovered that the floor boards on the driver and passenger sides have completely rotted/rusted out. This should not be happening on a car that has been properly maintained. This is a safety issue because of the possibility of fumes and the instability of the car's floor. Nissan should be held accountable for this defect and should pay for the necessary repairs.

- Plainview, NY, USA

Jun 222014

Altima 4-cyl

I have a 2005 Altima 2.5S. I had the severe driver and passenger side floorboard rust problem. The rust is all the way to the floor mat. A big hole on the driver's side. I called the dealer brought the car for inspection and they send me to Nissan North America (800) Nissan-1 or 800-647-7261). They've referred me to with Nissan regional Consumer Affairs regarding the rusted out floorboards. I appreciated their "surprise" and "never heard of this before". when I told him it how bad the driver's and passenger side floor rust problem she said they are not doing anything right now with that because it's normal environmental problem. They will not help on the repair and send me to body shop. The replacement/fix of hold floorboard will cost $1700 including parts and labor. I looked my company 1998 Mazda truck, it has been driven a lot in muddy roads and snow, and no rust at all under the floorboard. I found there are a lot of complaints on the 2002-2006 Nissan Altima floorboard rust problem on google, and Nissan refused to take a recall for this most complaint problem. This is a design/manufacturing defect that Nissan refuses to acknowledge. Fyi: I served my car many times in Nissan dealership, including oil changes and whole car inspection. They never mentioned the floorboard rust problem at all to me until I found it. I do believe this is very dangerous problem for a car driven on the road, especially on the highway, and the floorboard can fall anytime. I really hope this can get an attention for everyone who has 02-06 Nissan Altima as well. Get the car repaired soon to reduce the potential fatality incident. I hope Nissan can take the responsibility for that repair. Thank you!

- Eatonton, GA, USA

Jun 262014

Altima 4-cyl

My 2005 failed safety inspection because the floor boards are rusted through. There have been several complaints on the issue. Every mechanic I brought it to for a quote said there should be a recall. Nissan is not willing to help it customers with the repairs. When are you guys going to step in and force Nissan to address this safety issue?

- Methuen, MA, USA

Jul 072014

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact state during a routine inspection, she was advised by dealer that the floor boards on the driver side and passenger side were completely corroded. The technician stated that floor boards needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

May 012014

Altima 4-cyl

While changing my oil I inspected the underbody of my car and noticed a rusted out area of floorboard on the drivers side. I checked further saw that an area the size of a large grapefruit is completely rusted out. I looked at the passenger side and see the start of the same damage due to rust. There appears to be a drain hole where the rust starts. On the passenger side you can see the original drain hole and the rust starting around it. On the driver's side, the rust is extensive enough that the drain hole is simply gone. In talking with repairs shops and checking the internet I can see this is a common issue with Nissan Altima's of my design - 2002- 2006. Since this is a safety issue (allows fumes in the car if carpet wasn't there and could be structural in case of an accident) caused by a design issue (open drain hole in the floor trapping salt/water), I'd like to see Nissan issue a recall to repair. Thanks

- Plainfield, CT, USA

May 052014

My 2005 Altima was in the driveway when my son noticed a large piece of rust under the passenger front floor. I pulled up the carpet and found a 6" by 16" hole in the floor. I contacted Nissan for goodwill which was declined. I was a Nissan certified master technician for 21 years and a service manager for the last 2. my wife and I have personally owned 10 Nissan's and my immediate family owns 3 more. Nissan said its an environmental issue. My car is in a garage and in otherwise great shape. During my tenure with Nissan I've seen multiple Altima with this issue. I believe its not environmental but actually because of the sunroof drains draining directly into that area of the floor to drip out of a seep hole. This is a very dangerous condition. If something comes up off the road the only thing protecting you is the carpet, not to mention the fact your feet can go through to the ground below.

- Wappingers Falls, NY, USA

Jun 232014

Altima 6-cyl

Driver side floor rotted out, hole in floor passenger side as well.

- West Harrison , NY, USA

Jun 102014

I own a 2005 Nissan Altima with 121,000 miles on it. I am the original owner, this car has been well taken care of and garaged most of its life. I was shocked to find out last week, that while a oil change was being done, that both the drivers side and passenger side floor pans are rusted out. After doing some research, it appears this is a huge problem and Nissan is not accepting responsibility for a manufacturing defect. I have had most of the maintenance of this vehicle done at the Nissan dealership. Never once did they point out this problem, which has been evident for many years based on the damage. I could have made arrangements to fix this sooner. It is a huge safety problem in my opinion. I do not feel it is safe for my family members to drive due to fumes and the instability of the floor. I am in disbelief Nissan has not been held accountable. I do have pictures if anyone would be interested in seeing them.

- Urbandale, IA, USA