Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005 Nissan Altima has two fairly significant problems with the floor pan rusting through & motor mounts breaking.

Altima owners report that up to a basketball-size hole develops under the floor mats where the floor pan metal rusts through. Average repair cost is over $1,000.

The broken motor mounts are less of a problem - they break at ~75,000 miles average & it's $400 to fix. Still, motor mounts should not break!

2005 Nissan Altima brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Altima:

2005 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Jun 052007

An existing recall on this vehicle should include the 3.5L engine as well as camshaft/crankshaft and tcm. All cause similar life-threatening symptoms while driving the vehicle suddenly powers completely off briefly losing all power to lights etc, decelerate rapidly and you lose steering control and speed control. Vehicles come up on you quickly at night and even if you get the vehicle restarted you have no power in transmission and merely limp on at an idle speed. Very very dangerous. Why it wasn't included in the original 2007 recall is Nissan trying to save a buck. They used the same mfg & same parts as in the 2.5L. They knowingly withheld it from being included. I also contacted them about the tcm. Keep in mind the were biting their nails after being presented with a class action suite regarding the defective tcm. Luckily for them it was dismissed temporarily. But they never mentioned any similar complaints when they responded to me and never offered any resolution to the problem.

- Apache Junction, AZ, USA

Mar 242016

Takata recall while driving on the highway my car started making a sound coming from the front of my car I turned down the music to listen to the sound. As I was driving the car made one last sound then the car shut off while I was driving so I had to pull over on the side of the highway. I got out to check the car and noticed it was smoking I looked under the car and noticed it was on fire. I grabbed my kids out the car and my belongings and walked down the side of the highway just in case the car blew up. I called the ambulance and notified them about the car. About 5 minutes later my whole entire car was in flames. As I was on the side of the highway someone stopped and let me and my kids sit in the car until my ride came. The fire fighters came and put the fire out. They towed the car and we left.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Oct 122015

I purchased my 2005 Altima in 2009 from a family member( owner passed away). In 2013, the vehicle stalled numerous times in slow traffic but the "check engine" light never came on. I took the vehicle to the local dealership with whom the car was purchased originally. They could not duplicate problem but replaced both camshaft and crank shaft position sensors because both found to be sending incorrect signal to computer system. I was charged $505.83. I sent a letter to Nissan Corp with paperwork, receipt and the recall of 2007. This was faxed to roselle on Aug 7 2013. Nissan refused to reimburse me, stating it did not meet the recall requirements. Now in 2015, the same problem is happening. No check engine light but car is stalling in slow traffic or when I slow down to take a turn. I went back to the dealership. They are saying it is not the same problem, but they suspected it was the intake tube that connects to the throttle body and they replaced the mass flow meter. This costs me $880.35. Approx 1 1/2 weeks after this "fix", the car has stalled two more times. Back to the dealership- who refused to reimburse me the $880- they kept the car for two days and cannot figure out the problem. So- I am driving a car that is destined to stall again and because the "check engine" light doesn't come on, the problem cannot be resolved? this car only has 114,000 miles. I will never buy a Nissan product again.

- Mullica Hill, NJ, USA

Mar 212015

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while driving at 25 mph, the vehicle stalled and there was smoke coming from the front of the vehicle. The contact lifted the hood and the engine was on fire. The entire warning panel illuminated. There were no injuries reported or medical attention required. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The vehicle was towed to the contacts residence. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 124,000.

- Port Norris, NJ, USA

Feb 112015

Altima 4-cyl

On a recent trip for oil change I asked the dealership about a spot of rust on the rear quarter panel. They said a bracket was rusting that holds the rear quarter panel on. The real problem, they pointed out was the severe rust under the front floorboards, both passenger's and driver's side. I was hoping to get about 6,000 for the car toward the purchase of a new one. I have always had my car serviced at the dealership. The engine runs great it is very upsetting to know that it is dangerous to drive. The Nissan dealership told me there is nothing they can do. They said there is no warranty on the rust.

- Olathe, KS, USA

Aug 012014

My dashboard is cracking up N I found myself constantly buying glue it wont start even after I done had it serviced.

- Mound Bayou, MS, USA

May 062010

My service engine lights comes on, call stalls, and cuts off while driving.

- Manchester, GA, USA

Mar 172009

My wife was driving on the interstate when the car sputtered almost stalling. The check engine light appeared and stayed on. I took the car to a car parts store and borrowed their computer diagnosis device and found out the crankshaft sensor malfunctioned. There has been a recall on the esm, but nothing going to the root of the problem (the crankshaft sensor). Through my research I found the problems attributed to this part are not starting, sputtering while driving and/or shutting-off while driving. I took the car to Nissan on two previous occasions for not starting, but no diagnosis could be attained by Nissan. After speaking with different local Nissan dealer, the service tech admitted the problem is the crankshaft sensor failing. I feel Nissan is putting a band-aid on the real problem disguising it with the esm reprogram. The failure of this part can be very dangerous if you are driving and the car shuts off. After doing some research on forums, there have been a lot of complaints and apparently Nissan has had this problem with the Altima as far back as the '03 model year. It was also stated on the forums that multiple sensors have been replaced over and over. I am now worried about myself and my young child's safety as this car is our main source of transportation.

- Casselberry, FL, USA

Jul 282008

The car stop in the middle of the route while operating the car.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Sep 072007

Altima 4WD 4-cyl

Around Sept 7, 2007 I was driving my care and it stalled then stopped on me while driving. I was able to coast into a parking lot and had a toe truck come and pick the car up and take it to w.O. bankston Nissan dallas. They performed the consult diag and found dtc for crank sensor had to be replaced. I had the crankshaft repair done. I received a recall letter for 2005 Altima stating there is a possibility that the engine might stop running while being driven due to the program in the electronic control module (engine computer). And this could result in a crash without warning. This is exactly what happen to my car and I am trying to see how I can get a refund on the previous service. I did take my car in for the recall and was told by my service advisor that Nissan would have to give me my refund. Please let me know if this is correct or not.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jul 012004

I purchased a new 2005 2.5S in May 04'...I've been having ignition/sensor problems for quite some time. The problem: When I try to crank the engine using the keys provided (at purchase) the car will hesitate (sounds like the engine is not getting enough fuel) I even thought it was a battery related issue and changed the battery...on several occasions I had to crank it nearly 5 times before it would start. I addressed my issues with the Nissan service department on many occasions but they will only attempt to fix the problem if/when it happens there. Recently, I was informed that a similar recall had taken place on the 2003-2004 models but that the 2005-2006 did not have the same issue...not!...I'm extremely disappointed in Nissan's approach to this problem. In fact, after an attempt to find out when the problem would be fixed I was informed that it would be several more weeks (December 10,2007).

- Douglasville, GA, USA