CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Nissan Altima has two fairly significant problems with the floor pan rusting through & motor mounts breaking.

Altima owners report that up to a basketball-size hole develops under the floor mats where the floor pan metal rusts through. Average repair cost is over $1,000.

The broken motor mounts are less of a problem - they break at ~75,000 miles average & it's $400 to fix. Still, motor mounts should not break!

2005 Nissan Altima drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Altima:

2005 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Aug 252011

Altima 4-cyl

As I was driving from Delaware to New York, I hit the I-95 around 5pm; typical rush our time. As I began to approach heavy traffic I proceeded to slow down. By the time my speed decreased to 25mph, my steering wheel got stiff and the car felt light as if the car was completely off and left in neutral and rolling down a hill. Indeed the car had stalled, and all my dash lights switched on (alt, oil, brake and battery lights). I tried my best to steer into the emergency lane to avoid any possible accidents.

- 1200, NY, USA

May 012006

Altima

When the weather gets hot, my clutch medal becomes very lose (or perhaps loses the hydraulic pressure?) and drops, such that I can only change gears with the last inch or so of the pedal. Sometimes it gets so bad that the pedal drops all of the way to the floor and the clutch cannot be used to change gears. This often happens in stop and go traffic on hot days and is very dangerous, as it seems to happen spontaneously. It has happened every summer that I have owned the car, but have never been able to replicate it for a mechanic or the dealership and was thus not able to get it fixed while it was still under warranty.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Jun 032011

Altima 6-cyl

1. for the past year the clutch pedal depresses to the floor during periods of increased use. Started out happening once every other week. Clutch would still engage until Friday June 3rd, 2011. Clutch failed to engage in traffic. 2. failure starts during increased use, heavy traffic, & during hot days, especially when air conditioner is used. Incident started occurring about 1 year ago and has increased in frequency, happening now at least 5 times a week. Sometimes it will happen 3 times a day. When it finally failed I was in traffic & unable to shift any gears. 3. managed to drive car to repair shop where I was told the clutch had completely failed. Having it replaced now. Car is only at 60,000 miles. Nissan forums have many owners experiencing same problems with the clutch failure.

- Dallas, GA, USA

Altima

When driving my vehicle the clutch drops down to the floor making it very difficult if possible to put it in a gear. It gets to a point where you can not put the car in 1st gear at all. This problem has been going on since I have owned the car. I have tried to get with Nissan to repair the defective vehicle and all they say is that they can not get the problem to repeat for them. It usually corrects itself from around one hour turned off to a few days before the clutch would get back to the normal position. This has put me and my family in a vulnerable situation where I had almost veered off the road and straight into a gas station. This really needs to be addressed by the manufacture and take the responsibility for there defective engineering. Its all over the internet where Nissan Altima owners have the same serious issues with the infamous clutch dropping down to the floor where you can not drive the vehicle at all!

Jul 182007

Altima 6-cyl

I purchased a 2005 Nissan Altima in 2006 with 13, 000 miles. Shortly after purchasing it, I began to have issues with a "spongy" clutch...meaning it would become very loose. Often it would have to be pumped and then shoved into gear. I brought the car to a local Nissan dealer complaining of the issues with the clutch. They had it for a day and couldn't find anything wrong with it. Of course, back then it was still under warranty. The problem never went away. In fact, it became worse until it was finally a safety issue. This clutch issue would occur at random times in different weather making it very difficult to predict or avoid. Often, I was driving in traffic and unable to shift into the next gear. Eventually, I had to have the master and slave cylinder replaced and the entire clutch system replaced at my own expense. Both were temporary solutions. Again, I had problems with the clutch. My car clutch now sticks to the floor making it impossible to switch gears. This is very dangerous. Often I am struggling to get the car moving in traffic or at turns putting me and my children in danger. Before I pay to have the same issue repaired again, I did some research this time, and this seems to be a common problem among this year and make of Nissan. To me, this is an issue that Nissan needs to address as it is a safety issue for thier consumers. I have records of all repairs beginning with the initial complaint. In my opinion, Nissan needs to be accountable and recall and fix the problems before it results in a fatal accident.

- Brooksville, FL, USA

Aug 052008

Altima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. While driving between 65-70 mph, the contact attempted to downshift the vehicle upon approaching a toll both. The clutch extended to the floorboard and the gear could not be shifted. The clutch eventually returned to its normal position. The dealer would not assist. The failure mileage was 30,000 and current mileage was 95,000.

- Glens Falls, NY, USA

Aug 152008

Altima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle shut off entirely. There were no warning lights illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact was able to pull to the side of the road and restart the vehicle. The dealer stated that the crankshaft position sensor failed. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign id number 07V527000 (engine and engine cooling), although the failures were identical. The failure and current mileages were less than 61,000.

- Upper Marlboro, MD, USA

Nov 162007

Altima

2005 Nissan Altima with deceleration problems. Consumer states that the vehicle will decelerate from what ever speed to about 20 mph. He states that the dealer keeps saying bring it in while the vehicle is having the problem. The consumer stated the throttle chamber was replaced and the fuel injection serviced, however later in the month, the problem re-surfaced again. The vehicle always seemed to return to normal operation after the vehicle was turned off and turned back on again. The problem happened again on December 7th and 15th.

- Mobile, AL, USA