Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005 Nissan Altima has two fairly significant problems with the floor pan rusting through & motor mounts breaking.

Altima owners report that up to a basketball-size hole develops under the floor mats where the floor pan metal rusts through. Average repair cost is over $1,000.

The broken motor mounts are less of a problem - they break at ~75,000 miles average & it's $400 to fix. Still, motor mounts should not break!

2005 Nissan Altima electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Altima:

2005 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Nov 252012

Altima 4-cyl

I already went though P0420 issue few years back and I got it again. Nissan dealer charged me whole lotta money to fix the issue and the warning sign came back again. Went to local auto zone and it show P0420 again. Please help. I read so many articles online and it turns out all Altima has this issue (crankshaft, O2 sensor, etc.).

- Katy, TX, USA

Nov 182012

Altima 6-cyl

While driving in the highway vehicle lost power and engine shut off, was barely able to get to the side of the freeway before the car came to a complete stop. It was the most scary experience I have ever had in my life. The ses light came on only after loosing all control. I was told at the shop that this is a common issue with some Altima and that they had a recall.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Dec 012011

Altima 4-cyl

While driving down the highway, at 70 mph, my car bucked and then shut down. Losing all control, it completely turned off. While off you lose power-steering, ABS etc. Luckily I was on a straight stretch of highway when this occurred. Came to a coasting stop. When to start my car again, and it took a while for it to turn over. The service engine light came on. The car would routinely buck, and hiccup as if it were trying to shut itself off. I called the Nissan dealer, have the ECM reprogrammed, as they thought that would be the issue. Got it done, and a day later, same thing happened, my car shut off in the middle of the highway. I got it running, and then as I got nearer home, the car shut down again at an intersection. I was lucky I didn't get in a wreck. Furiously, I called the Nissan dealer, and brought it back in. After doing some research, it was noted the cam/crankshaft sensors were bad. This is a known issue by Nissan, as there has been a recall for 2000 - 2003 models of their cars in the past. I got them replaced and paid out of pocket to do so. I contacted Nissan and they were disrespectful and not helpful at all. They know that the issue is still ongoing with their vehicles. Its a life threatening situation and should not be up to the consumer to fix the issue as its a flaw in their electrical system. There needs to be a recall for this right away as there are thousands of people this has happened to.

- Sedalia , MO, USA

Apr 182012

Crankshaft position sensor bad, part has a known defect from the supplier yet Nissan will not replace or call recall notice. Car can shut down while driving, high risk for fatality.

- Newtown Square, PA, USA

Feb 012012

Altima 4-cyl

My car's "service engine soon" light initially came on Sunday, January 29th. Shortly after, my car was beginning to jerk while driving on the highway and felt as if the engine was sputtering while on local roads. We took it to auto zone for a diagnostic and two issues were discovered: The speed signal circuit as well as the crankshaft position sensor has been malfunctioning and needed to be replaced. After some research, we found that several thousand 2005 Nissan Altima were recalled due to the crankshaft position sensor malfunctioning with a possibility of damage and injury. We contacted Nissan village and were informed that my VIN number was not on the list of recalled vehicles. I have owned quite a few cars and I have never heard of this part needing to be replaced. My local Nissan dealer wants to charge $300-$400 to repair this issue and I believe, even though this recall was initiated back in December 2007, these repairs should be covered as this is not a maintenance issue but rather a serious overall defect in this particular make, model and year. We have no choice but to get the vehicle repaired as we have children but wanted to make sure this complaint was lodged for reporting purposes. We will also be contacting Nissan to inform them of this issue and our dissatisfaction with the fact that the Nissan dealership wants to charge us for a repair that should be covered under a past recall. Thank you.

- Cumberland, RI, USA

Oct 042011

Altima 4-cyl

Car doesnt start. Car doesnt maintain connection. While driving in a tunnel, upon acceleration to go uphill, car stalled.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Sep 012011

Altima 4-cyl

While driving on the I-95 I began to approach slower traffic. As I proceeded to slow down, all the dash lights came on, my steering got stiff, and the car was completely off. When I pulled over and attempted to start the car again it hesitated but eventually it started. However, the most recent incident that has occur, the car no longer starts at all and only cranks but won't turn over.

- 1200, NY, USA

Dec 012010

This car was part of a recall due to a engine cooling defect, they claimed it was fixed. Then all of a sudden last year my heat wouldn't work, instead the air conditioner would just kick on, could not be fixed. I had no heat last winter. I had a friend who was a mechanic look at it this year take a look at it and made a temp fix and I have heat some of the time. He disconnected the A/C for now. This shouldn't happen to a 5 now 6 year old car. Try being in 0 degree weather with the air conditioner blowing at you and being told they don't know what's wrong. This has to be a defect because I have had many 10-15 year old cars and never have had this problem this needs to be addressed to that I can have heat, and now that my A/C is disconnected I would like to have my defroster working, but a small price to pay for not getting frost bite in the frigid temps.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Jun 102008

The Nissan dealership performed a recall on our vehicle on 06/10/2008 for the R0712 ECM program recall and the P5216 recall. Since that work, the service engine soon light has been on in the vehicle which reported a valve problem. Prior to this work being done, the light did not go on. We have had the car serviced 4 times for the the repair of the valve, and now a full diagnosis needs to be done to figure out why the valve keeps shorting out. It appears it is going to be something electrical or with the computer.

- Tinley Park, IL, USA

Sep 052011

Altima 6-cyl

The electrical system in my car has failed on several different occasions. Most recently, for about the 10th time, my windows don't go down and I am unable to adjust the driver's side seat. My car has recently failed the safety inspection in my state because the driver's side window does not go down. I bought the car from what I thought was a reputable dealer, but I have a feeling they knew the car had electrical issues because they pushed the 3rd party warranty when I was doing my financing. It didn't dawn on me until I started having all these issues with the electrical components in my the car; sunroof, windows, locks and seats.

- Springfield, VA, USA

May 012009

Cam shaft sensor failure. Similar in function to the recalled crankshaft senor, the cam shaft part can stall a car, or prevent from restarting due to overheating. It also is vital to engine timing and other items which pertain to engine performance. Sept 12, 2011 67000 miles replaced this the second time in under 3 years part needed to be replaced. Why is this not a recall like it's crankshaft counterpart.

- Roslyn Heights, NY, USA

Aug 232011

Altima 6-cyl

While transporting with my 1 and 2 year old in my vehicle driving about 30mph my vehicle suddenly shuts off.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jul 272011

Altima 4-cyl

Vehicle stopped running without warning. Reference 07V527000. Stated by manufacturer VIN not included in recall. Repair and description of campaign id above reflect exact same issue. Extend recall to include all 2005 Altima.

- Lenexa, KS, USA

May 102011

Altima 4-cyl

Car started missing and stuttering then shutting off while driving for a couple days, nearly causing 3 accidents in this span. On the third day it started losing power and shut off constantly when at red lights. Took it to my mechanic and he scanned the engine codes. We replaces the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors and the car ran smoothly again. I have already had the ECM reprogram recall done to the car after doing some research this appears to be a very common and very dangerous problem.

- Chattanooga, TN, USA

Mar 212011

Altima 4-cyl

2005 Nissan Altima has a bad crank shaft position censor. I have found it happening in many cars. The car will stop and not start again if it goes bad. The part only costs approx. $30. I think you should look into this problem.

- Avenel, NJ, USA

Feb 072011

Cars power started fluttering around 45-50 mph, like it was wanting to die. It had previously died while were checked they came up as bad crank and cam sensor..and bad speed sensor.and catalytic converter..noticed car was under re-call..towed it to dealer they flashed ECM..when we were driving car home all problems re-occurred..had codes checked at another garage all the same ones came up..called dealer they were no help at all and wanted to charge us to check codes told them we already had them and they said its not their problem...they have no interest in addressing the real issues or fixing what the real problem is, what a rip-off..

- Crothersville, IN, USA

Dec 292010

Altima 4-cyl

My car would act like it was skipping a gear and jerk. It would also sometimes not start. The ultimate failure is that my car stalls while I'm driving it. It used to be every so often and has now become a daily thing. I am replacing the crank position sensor myself as this is the cause of the problem. Nissan knows this but has done nothing to remedy the situation. My car is out of warranty so it wasn't worth my while to even check with Nissan to have this fixed.

- Lancaster, PA, USA

Nov 252009

Crankshaft sensors failed in 11/2009 and car cut off while driving - crankshaft sensor failed again 09/2010 but I was parked. Nissan claims there is a recall on a batch of cars for this issue but my car is not included - there are numerous reports about this issue all over the web.

- Hamilton, NJ, USA

Jul 302010

I own a 2005 Nissan Altima. From the day I got the car there has been a problem with it stalling. Took it to the dealership and they said they could not find anything wrong. The recall that is on the Nissan for the crankshaft position sensor I was told that there was nothing wrong with mine. I have all the correspondence that I have with Nissan. But they refused to do anything about it. Well yesterday the car shut completely off going down the road and I was almost hit in the rearend. It did this 3 times before I got it home. Nissan needs to make this right before someone gets hurt. If not my car then someone else's. this is very dangerous and could cause a major wreck.

- Gainesville, GA, USA

Mar 182010

2005 Nissan Altima - crankshaft sensor. My 2005 pre-owned Nissan Altima just experienced crank/start problems yesterday. After computer diagnostics were performed, they discovered that the ECM and the crankshaft sensor were defective. The dealership informed me that the 2005 Nissan models had a recall on the ECM modules and the crankshafts. They advised me to contact Nissan to ensure this had not been previously corrected during the original recall. I contacted Nissan to find out that it had never been corrected. Nissan rep divya cheeran advised me that the ECM and frame were on recall however the crankshaft was not. I informed her that the dealership had already informed me of the recall for the crankshaft. She insisted the dealership was wrong and there was no recall of any crankshaft on any Nissan vehicles. I told her that I was looking at a Consumer Affairs report on the internet as well as the report/recall notice with national highway traffic and safety administration. She still refuted the fact that there had been any recall on the crankshafts for the 2005 Nissan Altima. However, she advised me to take my car into the nearest dealership (sheehy Nissan in springfield, va) to have the ECM and frame fixed. She stated that once the ECM was fixed it would resolve the cranking and shutting off problems I was experiencing. I advised her that the mechanic at the dealership had already confirmed that would not remedy the problem with the crankshaft and I would like for Nissan to acknowledge the recall and fix the ECM and crankshaft. It was public knowledge and record that there was a known problem with this and could be potentially hazardous to my health and the health of my newborn who frequently travels with me. I advised her that $200 to fix the crankshaft should be nothing to Nissan as opposed to me filing a lawsuit with them if any harm came to me or my child due to this hazard. Can you please assist me with getting my car fixed?

- Alexandria, VA, USA