CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Nissan Altima has two fairly significant problems with the floor pan rusting through & motor mounts breaking.

Altima owners report that up to a basketball-size hole develops under the floor mats where the floor pan metal rusts through. Average repair cost is over $1,000.

The broken motor mounts are less of a problem - they break at ~75,000 miles average & it's $400 to fix. Still, motor mounts should not break!

2005 Nissan Altima engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Altima:

2005 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Mar 272016

Altima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. While driving 20 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle after some time. The service engine soon warning light illuminated. In addition, the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was towed to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact was aware of NHTSA campaign number: 07V527000 (engine and engine cooling); however, the VIN was not included. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 117,000.

- Cambria, CA, USA

Apr 292016

Altima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. After the vehicle was shifted into the drive position, it stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the crankshaft position sensor failed and needed to replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified and stated that the vehicle was previously serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 07V527000 (engine and engine cooling). The failure mileage was 204,000.

- Far Rockaway, NY, USA

Mar 152016

Altima

My engine started making a loud rattling noise. It was especially loud when it was not moving but became a little more silent once the car was moving. Took it to Nissan to find the problem and they told me my timing chain tensioners were failing and that it had to be fixed very soon before the chain snaps and damages the engine.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 102014

Altima

My 2005 Nissan Altima uses about 3 quarts of oil between oil changes. I see no leaks so it is losing oil in the engine somewhere. There are thousands of complaints about this very problem, why is there nothing done about this?

- Oscar, LA, USA

Mar 112016

Altima

Check engine light due to error code P0335 which is camshaft position sensor, my car hesitate to start, need more cranking, as per Nissan so many vehicles were recalled for this code but if I give my VIN # they said there is no recall, I am the original owner of this vehicle, all the maintenances are up to date and currently I have only 72000 miles, I am requesting to recall 2005 Nissan Altima as soon as possible

- Hicksville, NY, USA

Feb 032016

Altima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. While pulling over the vehicle, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to restart. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 07V527000 (engine, engine cooling). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 240,000.

- Manahawkin, NJ, USA

Apr 122015

Altima

Takata recall. I bought my car exactly 11 months ago on February 2015. I first noticed when I bought my car that it jerked when putting it in drive and reverse, I talked to the dealership and the salesman convinced me it is nothing. It got worse over time. I finally took the car to a transmission shop who said motor mounts need replacing. I then found a Nissan thread about the defective transmission and automatically was able to see that my car is doing 90% of the issues listed. It now jerks when I put in drive, reverse, when I'm coming to a stop, when I push the break, and when I exceed more then 60 mph it jerks. After reading tons of threads about this problem it seems to be very common amongst the Nissan Altima 05S. I am scared my transmission will go out and I don't know what to do, I was told this problem was nothing but now it definitely seems like an issue that Nissan judged pushed under the rug and kept telling me was nothing.

- Apple Springs, TX, USA

Nov 112015

Altima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the check engine warning light remained illuminated. In addition, the contact stated that the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 120,000.

- Boise, ID, USA

Nov 162015

Altima

The timing chain tensioner is failing/has failed, there is an engine knocking noise that causes the 3.5L V6 to sound like a diesel, as others have described. It comes directly from the location of the timing chain. I don't have the funds or hours and hours it requires to replace the tensioner just yet. The problem has been ongoing for at least 15,000 miles. If the timing chain jumps because the tensioner was not a quality part and broke, the engine will lock up, as has happened to others, and possibly cause a wreck if other cars are around. Nissan should issue a recall to investigate and fix this problem. That is all I ask. I wanted to report that I have the same issue for my vehicle as others of the same kind do, so it can get fixed before something dangerous happens to me or my wife.

- Triangle, VA, USA

Aug 032015

Altima

Last year, I noticed my service engine light had appeared. I had the code checked and it was the crank shaft sensor. I had this part replaced and it drove fine for a while. About two months ago, this light came back on and the sensor had gone bad again. This causes my car so drive very sluggish and go dead when driving at a low rate of speed. I did some research and saw where Nissan had a recall campaign for this part on the same year/make/model of my car. I contacted them and they said my car wasn't covered under their recall and they refuse to help me. This is the 2nd time this has gone bad. I think my car should be covered as well. They told me to report this issue to NHTSA.

- Sterrett, AL, USA

Jun 012015

Altima

My car started making an engine rattling noise as if I needed oil. I took my car to a mechanic and had the oil and filter changed several times, but the noise continued and my check engine light came on and will not go off. The noise has gotten louder and my car hesitates when I try to accelerate. Sometimes when I try to start my car, it hesitates and will not start. The mechanic stated that it sounded like my crankshaft was going bad. I looked on the internet for those kinds of problem with my car and saw that there was a recall on this item, but my VIN didn't show that mine was one of the ones that was recalled. I am not the original owner of this vehicle, I bought it used from a car dealership. I need for this problem to be repaired without cost to me because this is not my fault.

- Merrillville, IN, USA

Jul 142014

Altima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the service engine warning lamp flashed intermittently and the vehicle misfired and stalled more than once. The vehicle was taken to a repair shop where the coil packs were replaced a year ago, but the failure recently recurred. The vehicle was towed to the repair shop and the coil packs were replaced again. Within 20 minutes of leaving the repair shop, the contact stated that the service engine warning lamp illuminated and the vehicle was stalled. The vehicle was towed back to the repair shop where the contact was informed that they did not have the tools to perform the diagnostic testing. The contact was advised to take the vehicle to an authorized dealer. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 07V527000 (engine and engine cooling). The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer for further inspection and diagnosis. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 124,000. Updated 10/06/15

- Oak Ridge, TN, USA

Jul 012015

Altima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. While driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle suddenly shut off. The vehicle was examined by an independent mechanic who indicated that the crank shaft sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was not available.

- St. Petersberg, FL, USA

Jul 062015

Altima

Front sub-fame severely rusted out, which supports engine and control arms, must be replaced. Safety is compromised.....updated10/20/15

- Cleveland Heights, OH, USA

May 212015

Altima

So besides the fact that my floor board on my drivers side has a huge hole in it, the crankshaft position sensor has cause me enough problems to where I believe Nissan should be responsible for fixing this issue. The vehicle idles rough, when accelerating it feels like the car is about to shut off, and the check engine light will not go off no matter how many times you change the sensor. I've had mine changed four times. I am actually sick of this vehicle now and will never buy another Nissan. To make it worse I can't take the car out of town because it will get hot then the clutch sticks to the floor. I have to lift it with my foot and it still won't engage, it loses all pressure. So driving long distance is out of the question. Someone needs to fix this before there is an accident. I almost got hit because I couldn't get my car to go into third gear. When I do get in an accident I will sue Nissan and anybody else who knew about these problems with this car and sat back and did nothing.

- Augusta, GA, USA

May 012015

Altima

My vehicle is experiencing a whining noise at idle and also while driving. Upon further review and extensive online research at maxima forum, I have found out there's a design flaw on the timing chain tensioners on these V6 engines. If not repaired can result in extensive repairs and possible loss of engine. However, my vehicle is past the warranty mileage. I don't know if Nissan will grant the free repair since it is a design flaw by the manufacturer.

- Dracut, MA, USA

May 142015

Altima

Car shuddered and RPM dropped and then came back up to current RPM level. Came to stop light and vehicle was then put into limp mode. Would not accelerate and RPM's would not go over 2000. Pulled over and turned car off. Restarted car and began to try and drive it again. Service engine light came on and vehicle would not shift gears. Tried to manually shift the automatic trans and it would hit hard upon gear shifts but was able to make it home the remaining few miles.. brought vehicle in to a mechanics shop the next morning and the codes indicate cam position sensor failures. I see numerous complaints and a recall for this under R2022 but of course my vehicle is not listed. This appears to be a common problem and all vehicles should be included in this recall as it is completely dangerous issue that comes out of nowhere while driving the vehicle. I am waiting for the vehicle to be repaired to see if the problem is completely resolved at my expense. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

- Oswego, IL, USA

May 082015

Altima

I am driving a 2005 Nissan Altima SE-R with approximately 140,000 miles on it. I was driving on a busy road and coming to a stop for a traffic light, probably at 5 to 10 mph. The engine shut off for no reason. I went to autozone and got the engine code and it is for can shaft position sensor. I browsed internet and this seems a common problem

- Cypress, TX, USA

May 082015

Altima

The engine started to stall and the car won't move. There was smoke coming out from under the hood. Finally, the car simply stopped, and had to be pushed to a safe place to park.dharm

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Oct 072014

Altima 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the front floorboards on both the driver and passenger sides were rusted through. The contact stated that the vehicle also had a fractured engine mount. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 101,009. Updated. 5/28/15 the consumer stated the front floorboard was rusted through. The driver's side was rusty as well. The vehicle was diagnosed but not repaired. Updated 11/23/2015

- Rock Falls, IL, USA