2005 Nissan Altima engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Altima:

2005 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Dec 282012

Altima

At 80K miles, the 3.5L infinity/350Z motor that has been *very* well taken care of had a known issue occur which caused the valve to come loose in the engine. There is a problem where some screws which hold a butterfly valve together wiggle loose and is ingested into the engine. This causes the valve to get damaged and fall out resulting in total engine failure. Nissan knows this occurs and is unwilling to help me with the repair. When this occurred to me, I was in a very bad situation and nearly lost control of the car, I was lucky enough to gain control again however there was some damage to the car when I nearly went into the ditch. I have a police report as well. So Nissan knows their top of the line engines can with no warning fail which at any speed can be a potential serious accident. The fix is simple to prevent it, secure those screws with some glue or lock tight, but if they admit this is a design flaw, then they'd be responsible for the damaged engines and they seem to prefer to deny it. I just spent a week trying to get them to take some responsibility and they wont. This is beyond a warranty issue in my opinion if it can cause the driver to loose power and loose control of the car. It happens quickly and the impact on control is immediate. Not safe at any speed. So this complaint is one of safety and one of having to cover a total engine failure no matter how well you take car of your engine.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Sep 302014

Altima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated while driving approximately 55 mph, the temperature gauge illuminated and the engine stalled without warning. The failure recurred once. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for a diagnosis. The technician stated that the crankshaft position sensor had overheated and the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was taken to another mechanic who stated that the sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer had not been notified of the failure. The VIN was not included in recall NHTSA campaign number: 07V527000 (engine and engine cooling). The approximate failure mileage was 200,000.

- Rochelle, GA, USA

Nov 012011

Altima

Rough idle. 3 years ago it did the same thing and I had the 0'2 sensors replaced and the crankshaft position sensor replaced. I drive it in town so in the 3 years I have put about 25,000 miles on it. The service engine soon light is on now and Nissan told me that I need to take it to a dealership and pay them to check out the engine and send Nissan the results and they "may" reimburse me for the cost of checking it out. I just replaced the spark plugs last week because I was told them needed replaced. It ran fine for a little while now back to same things. I have noticed that it leaks a little oil, about the size of a nickel over the course of 2-3 days. There is also oil round the crankcase. Wondering why might be. Thanks

- Lees Sumit, MO, USA

Nov 052014

Altima

Vehicle died while coasting down the side street. Once I stopped the vehicle I put it in park and turned the key to off. When trying to restart the vehicle, the engine would crack, but would not start. This problem has been listed for a recall for the 2.5 engine but not for my 3.5 engine, and Nissan will not do anything to help the situation.

- Alvaton, KY, USA

Sep 012013

Altima

When restarting my car when driving for a while. I restart my car and it hesitate to crank over the engine shakes like it misfiring. Engine service light turns on and engine crawls to a halt and turns off. I took it to meineke they said it was a bad cam sensor cost me 130 to replace and engine worked fine for 4 months. Same problem again took it's to Nissan of manhattan they said the computer needed to be reprogrammed. Worked for about 4 more months now looks like I'm going to need the crank sensor replaced again. There a recall on my model car but not my VIN number.

- New York, NY, USA

Aug 182014

Altima

On August 18, 2014, after dropping my son off at school. I came to stop at a traffic light and when the light changed, I started to take off and noticed the car has shut down. I eventually made it home with the car going a very low speed and then speed up, but when car to a start the engine stalls. The vehicle was put on a computer to see what the diagnosis were and it was the camshaft sensors and crankshaft sensor costing $80 dollars for two and $70 for another, however these items has been changed along with a tune up and the car is doing the same. After doing some research on the computer, I noticed there were recalls on the crankshaft sensors and the ECM. I contacted Nissan dealer, an appointment was made and I was told that my VIN number is not showing so the problem had to been done, because I'm the second owner. It's funny how this problem comes about after 4 1/2 years of having this vehicle and the recall suppose to have been taking care of with the first owner. This is an inconvenience and it's frustrating. There is also rusting of the floor under the car, you can see the floor coming down from under the car on the passenger side. This is an outrage and something needs to be done at the cost of the dealers and not the owners. This is dangerous, you can be driving at a speed and the car just stop, which can cause a very bad accident.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Aug 082014

Altima

Engine shut down while driving home and making a left turn in rush hour traffic. "service engine soon" light came on. We are only fortunate not to have been hit by oncoming vehicles! long beach hooman Nissan said there was no code when the diagnostic test was performed and although the same thing happened to the technician the next day when they test drove my car, they've washed their hands from it. Service rep said we can contact Nissan North America. We called and got a call center in the philippines. Nissan was supposed to call me on an expedited basis but I have not received a call after leaving 3 messages for tel. 615-725-7569. I am without a drivable safe car and stuck in a phone messaging black hole! what am I to do after only 58,000 miles" do I have to be in an accident and injured before Nissan will pay attention" in addition, the dealer replaced my transmission at the tune of $4000 in July 2013 because of a similar engine stall issue when the service engine soon light came on. This car is still unsafe and not drivable and we wasted $4000 for a transmission unnecessarily, since the same issue is recurring. This car has original manufacturer defects. Various dealers concluded different diagnoses at different times but no dealer has been able to fix it permanently. Nissan North America not only put out an unsafe vehicle, but also deceived me as a loyal customer all these years paying the dealers for bogus repairs. Please help me.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Aug 052014

Altima

Vehicle engine stops. Nissan will only fix part of the cause. Expects clients to fix the actual sensor. Wouldn't recommend another Nissan.

- Fontana, CA, USA

Jul 242014

Altima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 12 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was restarted and was able to resume to normal. The failure recurred five times. The contact stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 07V527000 (engine and engine cooling). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 107,000.

- Longmeadow, MA, USA

Nov 212013

Altima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The contact also stated that there was an abnormal noise coming from the vehicle and smoke emitted from the exhaust pipe. The vehicle restarted however, the vehicle would not restart the day after the initial failure. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing where it was diagnosed that there was antifreeze on the spark plugs, which indicated that the cylinders under the timing belt were cracked as a result, the head gasket needed to be replaced. The mechanic also stated that the catalytic converter failed and that the debris from the catalytic converter was drawn up into the engine causing damage to the cylinders in the motor, which caused the vehicle to have a blown head gasket. The catalytic converter was replaced, however the motor was not replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and the approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Jun 022014

Altima

Engine cut off all by itself and the check engine light went on. Mechanic said the problem was with my camshaft position sensor and crankshaft position sensor. I've had problems with those same parts two years ago as well.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jun 042014

Altima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start once the key was turned in the ignition. The key needed to be turned at least ten times before the vehicle would start. The check engine indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. In addition, when the contact depressed the accelerator pedal, the vehicle stalled before resuming normal acceleration. The failure occurred daily. A local mechanic stated that the crank shaft and engine sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 92,000.

- Gaithersburg, MD, USA

Jun 232014

Altima

The car started hesitating while driving and the head gasket was blown due to the pre cat system clogging up this is a very high cost repair for this vehicle and all these vehicles should be repaired at Nissan cost due to the amount of vehicles this has happened to and there being class action law suites over it. This is their fault not mine why should I be responsible for this cost when it has happened to numerous 05 Altima. They should man up and fix this issue. I have owned 3 other Nissan vehicles with no problems besides maintenance, but this is the last Nissan I will ever own, I was going to get an infinity but since Nissan makes those I will not be purchasing one of those either and will research before I purchase any vehicle to make sure Nissan doesn't have anything to do with the vehicle name. I'm done with Nissan and would not recommend anyone to purchase one they do not stand behind their name anymore. Also the vehicle has always been services at a Nissan dealership.

- Friendsville, TN, USA

Jun 082014

Altima 4-cyl

My wife was driving the car at 25 mph and the car lost all speed as if the brakes were implied and almost caused a three car pile up. Now the car is stuck in 5th gear. I am really worried because my 2 year old daughter was in the car at the time. I have done research online and this is a major problem.

- Travis Afb, CA, USA

May 132008

Altima 4-cyl

Was driving at about 45mph when the engine stalled as I was about to take a turn. The steering locked up, and I had to brake hard to avoid going off the road. Luckily there was no fatal injury. Had to get car towed to dealer where they replaced the crankshaft, cam sensor.

- Austin, TX, USA

Dec 102012

Altima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated while driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road. The vehicle did restart after numerous attempts. This failure has occurred intermittently four times over a period of a six months. The vehicle was taken in for diagnostic testing but no results were given as contact did not want to pay for the testing. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number 07V527000 (engine and engine cooling), but the VIN was included in the recall. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 171,000.

- Walnut, CA, USA

May 122014

Altima

During other service work mechanic found the engine cradle is rotting away.

- Norton, OH, USA

May 062011

Altima 6-cyl

Premature transmission failure X2.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

May 052014

Altima 6-cyl

The transmission is stuck in 5th gear, even if you try to downshift it manually it wouldn't come out of 5th gear.

- East Patchogue, NY, USA

Feb 012012

Altima 4-cyl

About 2 yrs ago the engine light came on in my Nissan. I took it for a diagnostic and it came up with two codes that at this point I don't remember. However, what I was told is that I needed my crankshaft sensor replaced. I checked online for information about this sensor and I came across a recall for this sensor. Around the same time my headlights started burning out bulbs also. I also noticed there was a recall on a headlight issue. I contacted a local dealership to check my VIN to see if I qualified for the recall and I was told my VIN was supposedly one of the impacted ones. Which is too coincidental. My car stalls while running and at times will not start. And I say will, because, I brought it in to 2 different shops for replacement and neither could find a compatible sensor. They even ordered one from Nissan and it did not fit and were unable to fix it. They apologized and said that I would be able to drive it but would eventually need to somehow replace it. I have since continued driving it, as it is the only vehicle I have. It has gotten worse and turns off my often. I am asking for some type of help. I am out of options. I am afraid it will one day shut off as I driving and cause a catastrophe.

- Waukegan, IL, USA