CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Nissan Altima has two fairly significant problems with the floor pan rusting through & motor mounts breaking.

Altima owners report that up to a basketball-size hole develops under the floor mats where the floor pan metal rusts through. Average repair cost is over $1,000.

The broken motor mounts are less of a problem - they break at ~75,000 miles average & it's $400 to fix. Still, motor mounts should not break!

2005 Nissan Altima engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Altima:

2005 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Jul 142014

Altima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the service engine warning lamp flashed intermittently and the vehicle misfired and stalled more than once. The vehicle was taken to a repair shop where the coil packs were replaced a year ago, but the failure recently recurred. The vehicle was towed to the repair shop and the coil packs were replaced again. Within 20 minutes of leaving the repair shop, the contact stated that the service engine warning lamp illuminated and the vehicle was stalled. The vehicle was towed back to the repair shop where the contact was informed that they did not have the tools to perform the diagnostic testing. The contact was advised to take the vehicle to an authorized dealer. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 07V527000 (engine and engine cooling). The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer for further inspection and diagnosis. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 124,000.

- Oak Ridge, TN, USA

Jul 012015

Altima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. While driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle suddenly shut off. The vehicle was examined by an independent mechanic who indicated that the crank shaft sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was not available.

- St. Petersberg, FL, USA

Jul 062015

Altima

Front sub-fame severely rusted out, which supports engine and control arms, must be replaced. Safety is compromised.

- Cleveland Heights, OH, USA

May 212015

Altima

So besides the fact that my floor board on my drivers side has a huge hole in it, the crankshaft position sensor has cause me enough problems to where I believe Nissan should be responsible for fixing this issue. The vehicle idles rough, when accelerating it feels like the car is about to shut off, and the check engine light will not go off no matter how many times you change the sensor. I've had mine changed four times. I am actually sick of this vehicle now and will never buy another Nissan. To make it worse I can't take the car out of town because it will get hot then the clutch sticks to the floor. I have to lift it with my foot and it still won't engage, it loses all pressure. So driving long distance is out of the question. Someone needs to fix this before there is an accident. I almost got hit because I couldn't get my car to go into third gear. When I do get in an accident I will sue Nissan and anybody else who knew about these problems with this car and sat back and did nothing.

- Augusta, GA, USA

May 012015

Altima

My vehicle is experiencing a whining noise at idle and also while driving. Upon further review and extensive online research at maxima forum, I have found out there's a design flaw on the timing chain tensioners on these V6 engines. If not repaired can result in extensive repairs and possible loss of engine. However, my vehicle is past the warranty mileage. I don't know if Nissan will grant the free repair since it is a design flaw by the manufacturer.

- Dracut, MA, USA

May 142015

Altima

Car shuddered and RPM dropped and then came back up to current RPM level. Came to stop light and vehicle was then put into limp mode. Would not accelerate and RPM's would not go over 2000. Pulled over and turned car off. Restarted car and began to try and drive it again. Service engine light came on and vehicle would not shift gears. Tried to manually shift the automatic trans and it would hit hard upon gear shifts but was able to make it home the remaining few miles.. brought vehicle in to a mechanics shop the next morning and the codes indicate cam position sensor failures. I see numerous complaints and a recall for this under R2022 but of course my vehicle is not listed. This appears to be a common problem and all vehicles should be included in this recall as it is completely dangerous issue that comes out of nowhere while driving the vehicle. I am waiting for the vehicle to be repaired to see if the problem is completely resolved at my expense. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

- Oswego, IL, USA

May 082015

Altima

I am driving a 2005 Nissan Altima SE-R with approximately 140,000 miles on it. I was driving on a busy road and coming to a stop for a traffic light, probably at 5 to 10 mph. The engine shut off for no reason. I went to autozone and got the engine code and it is for can shaft position sensor. I browsed internet and this seems a common problem

- Cypress, TX, USA

May 082015

Altima

The engine started to stall and the car won't move. There was smoke coming out from under the hood. Finally, the car simply stopped, and had to be pushed to a safe place to park.dharm

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Oct 132014

Altima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the front floorboards on both the driver and passenger sides were rusted through. The contact stated that the vehicle also had a fractured engine mount. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 104,000. Updated. 5/28/15

- Rock Falls, IL, USA

Apr 042015

Altima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. While driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle started to lose power after the check engine warning light illuminated. The contact continued to drive and the vehicle began to accelerate normally. The contact also stated that while reversing out of a driveway, the vehicle began to accelerate independently after the check engine warning light illuminated. The failure recurred on one other occasion. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the cam shaft position sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 88,000.

- Joliet, IL, USA

Mar 212015

Altima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while driving at 25 mph, the vehicle stalled and there was smoke coming from the front of the vehicle. The contact lifted the hood and the engine was on fire. The entire warning panel illuminated. There were no injuries reported or medical attention required. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The vehicle was towed to the contacts residence. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 124,000.

- Port Norris, NJ, USA

Feb 162015

Altima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the engine would suddenly shut off. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that the crank cam shaft sensor needed to be replaced and the computer needed to be reprogrammed. No further information was available. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 152,610.

- Northport, LA, USA

Dec 112014

Altima

While driving my 2005 Nissan Altima, it appears to have shifting issues that are known to Nissan. Nissan needs to step up to the plate and stand by their product. Hard shift from 1st to 2nd at initial start up. Also have shifting issues from 3rd to 4th. The shifting from 3/4 is when vehicle is at operating temps. There is a very hard shift and delay in shift. I have called several dealers, and all claim not to have any recalls or bulletins, or deny hearing of any shifting issues. Very poor customer service. Going into 4th from 3rd, vehicle seems to have a delay and stalls, unit revs, and finally kicks into gear.

- La Habra, CA, USA

Jun 062014

Altima

I was waiting at a traffic light to turn green and when I started going and my car made a loud noise so I thought somebody hit me. I got out of the car, but no hit to my car. I thought that was weird because I didn't know what happened. It didn't happened again until a few months later. Most of the time when I start driving I hear a boom sound and I feel that my engine is going to break down. It feels like my gears are not connecting from first to second or if the transmission is not connecting with my engine. If I start driving and then I speed up, my car makes the boom noise. The same happens when I'm coming down the road at a regular speed and I slow down because traffic is slowing, but then we continue at the regular speed my car makes the boom noise like the gears didn't connect. My car is an automatic. I took my car to my mechanic and he told me to check with Nissan for any recalls because my car gave him a motor code P0726 which has to due with the motor's crankshaft. He told me that my engine and transmission are not connecting. I search to see if anybody else had that problem and it has been people complaining about the same problem, but no recall has been issue for this problem. Hopefully there's a recall soon to prevent any accidents due to this problem.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Dec 282012

Altima

At 80K miles, the 3.5L infinity/350Z motor that has been *very* well taken care of had a known issue occur which caused the valve to come loose in the engine. There is a problem where some screws which hold a butterfly valve together wiggle loose and is ingested into the engine. This causes the valve to get damaged and fall out resulting in total engine failure. Nissan knows this occurs and is unwilling to help me with the repair. When this occurred to me, I was in a very bad situation and nearly lost control of the car, I was lucky enough to gain control again however there was some damage to the car when I nearly went into the ditch. I have a police report as well. So Nissan knows their top of the line engines can with no warning fail which at any speed can be a potential serious accident. The fix is simple to prevent it, secure those screws with some glue or lock tight, but if they admit this is a design flaw, then they'd be responsible for the damaged engines and they seem to prefer to deny it. I just spent a week trying to get them to take some responsibility and they wont. This is beyond a warranty issue in my opinion if it can cause the driver to loose power and loose control of the car. It happens quickly and the impact on control is immediate. Not safe at any speed. So this complaint is one of safety and one of having to cover a total engine failure no matter how well you take car of your engine.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Sep 302014

Altima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated while driving approximately 55 mph, the temperature gauge illuminated and the engine stalled without warning. The failure recurred once. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for a diagnosis. The technician stated that the crankshaft position sensor had overheated and the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was taken to another mechanic who stated that the sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer had not been notified of the failure. The VIN was not included in recall NHTSA campaign number: 07V527000 (engine and engine cooling). The approximate failure mileage was 200,000.

- Rochelle, GA, USA

Nov 012011

Altima

Rough idle. 3 years ago it did the same thing and I had the 0'2 sensors replaced and the crankshaft position sensor replaced. I drive it in town so in the 3 years I have put about 25,000 miles on it. The service engine soon light is on now and Nissan told me that I need to take it to a dealership and pay them to check out the engine and send Nissan the results and they "may" reimburse me for the cost of checking it out. I just replaced the spark plugs last week because I was told them needed replaced. It ran fine for a little while now back to same things. I have noticed that it leaks a little oil, about the size of a nickel over the course of 2-3 days. There is also oil round the crankcase. Wondering why might be. Thanks

- Lees Sumit, MO, USA

Nov 052014

Altima

Vehicle died while coasting down the side street. Once I stopped the vehicle I put it in park and turned the key to off. When trying to restart the vehicle, the engine would crack, but would not start. This problem has been listed for a recall for the 2.5 engine but not for my 3.5 engine, and Nissan will not do anything to help the situation.

- Alvaton, KY, USA

Sep 012013

Altima

When restarting my car when driving for a while. I restart my car and it hesitate to crank over the engine shakes like it misfiring. Engine service light turns on and engine crawls to a halt and turns off. I took it to meineke they said it was a bad cam sensor cost me 130 to replace and engine worked fine for 4 months. Same problem again took it's to Nissan of manhattan they said the computer needed to be reprogrammed. Worked for about 4 more months now looks like I'm going to need the crank sensor replaced again. There a recall on my model car but not my VIN number.

- New York, NY, USA

Aug 182014

Altima

On August 18, 2014, after dropping my son off at school. I came to stop at a traffic light and when the light changed, I started to take off and noticed the car has shut down. I eventually made it home with the car going a very low speed and then speed up, but when car to a start the engine stalls. The vehicle was put on a computer to see what the diagnosis were and it was the camshaft sensors and crankshaft sensor costing $80 dollars for two and $70 for another, however these items has been changed along with a tune up and the car is doing the same. After doing some research on the computer, I noticed there were recalls on the crankshaft sensors and the ECM. I contacted Nissan dealer, an appointment was made and I was told that my VIN number is not showing so the problem had to been done, because I'm the second owner. It's funny how this problem comes about after 4 1/2 years of having this vehicle and the recall suppose to have been taking care of with the first owner. This is an inconvenience and it's frustrating. There is also rusting of the floor under the car, you can see the floor coming down from under the car on the passenger side. This is an outrage and something needs to be done at the cost of the dealers and not the owners. This is dangerous, you can be driving at a speed and the car just stop, which can cause a very bad accident.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA