Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005 Nissan Altima has two fairly significant problems with the floor pan rusting through & motor mounts breaking.

Altima owners report that up to a basketball-size hole develops under the floor mats where the floor pan metal rusts through. Average repair cost is over $1,000.

The broken motor mounts are less of a problem - they break at ~75,000 miles average & it's $400 to fix. Still, motor mounts should not break!

2005 Nissan Altima engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Altima:

2005 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 7 of 10)

Feb 252009

Nissan Altima 2005. The vehicle had stalled a few times in the past under slow speeds. Ie backing up or drifting forward. Noticed that the check engine light came on and brought it into a service station. Code was crankshaft position sensor. Part was really pricey so I checked online and found recall, or so I thought. NHTSA campaign id number: 07V527000, seemed to apply to the problem. Nissan said no it did not. Would like to file complaint about not only the problem, but also the lack of support in a clearly recalled item repair. I do not have the VIN's affected, but the fact that almost 700,000 vehicles are affected and mine just happens to have the same issue is ridiculous. I would just like my car covered like the other 700,000 that have the same issue. Thanks, tim

- North Attleboro, MA, USA

Mar 112009

Altima 6-cyl

There is a defect in a significant number of V6 equipped Nissan vehicles my 2004-2007. Nissan has issued a service bulletin ntb07-042 describing the issue and solution. Poor engineering and manufacturing defects lead to issues that can cause the secondary timing chains on these vehicles to fail. The problem does not become apparent until after the warranty has expired, I.e. after 60,000 miles of service. Repair requires the engine to be removed from the vehicle and torn down to replace these parts. Parts include the secondary timing chains and chain tensioners. Nissan is refusing to support their customers in regard to these repairs. Cost to perform the repair will run between $1800 and $2200 per quotation by my dealer. Timing chain failure would likely cause catastrophic engine damage. Should such failure occur under highway conditions, serious accidents with concomitant injuries would likely result. While I have not had an accident, I am deeply concerned that Nissan is taking no action to address this potentially serious issue affecting a significant percentage of their fleet for these model years. In normal service, the vehicles in question are now reaching the point where this problem will begin to manifest itself.

- Attleboro, MA, USA

Mar 222009

My car fails to start on occasion. The frequency is monthly. The engine sounds like it's going to start but just doesn't. if I wait several seconds and try again, then the engine starts. From what I've been reading everyone seems to be complaining that it's the crankshaft sensor. I thought the recall fixed this issue but apparently not. So many owners are complaining yet Nissan is doing nothing. This is my first Nissan and my last. I'll stick to Honda next time.

- Folsom, CA, USA

Mar 012009

Altima 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the vehicle would crank for 30-40 seconds before the engine would turn over. While driving less than 50 mph, the vehicle stalled. There were no warning indicators illuminated on the instrument panel. When he attempted to restart the vehicle, the check engine warning indicator illuminated. An independent mechanic performed a diagnostic, which revealed that the crankshaft sensor needed to be replaced. The failure and current mileages were less than 98,100. Updated 04-17-09 updated 04/20/09.

- Parsippany, NJ, USA

Mar 052009

Car hesitates to start, searched internet to find same year and model has same multiple complaint. Something called crank sensor if so many vehicles have problem I think it should be recalled... I only have 40000 miles on my car.

- Hialeah, FL, USA

Feb 232008

Car turned off while entering on ramp of highway in heavy traffic. According to a recall notice of Dec 2007, the ECM must be updated. I brought my vehicle in for the recall. I was told in order to perform the recall update they must first run a diagnostic test for $98. I was then told the crankshaft position censor needs to be replaced. This would cost another $200. Since I did not receive the recall notice and the ECM caused the crankshaft position censor to overheat how is it that I must pay for this. This was due to the defect in the vehicle. I had no way to know if it even needed to be replaced. I had to go by their word and in order to have the computer in my vehicle updated. This is very dangerous. When I called Nissan Consumer Affairs for their assistance, I was first told that the VIN on my vehicle did not fall under the recall. When I insisted that how is it my car would have the same problem as described in the recall they then changed their position to a letter was sent out to my in June of 2008. I would not ignore such an important recall notice. I never received the letter and if not for stalling while driving I still would not know.

- Windsor Locks, CT, USA

Feb 232008

Car turned off while entering on ramp of highway in heavy traffic.

- Windsor Locks, CT, USA

Feb 212009

Crankshaft position sensor - the vehicle would have a delay in starting, sometimes would not start at all. Also, the engine would shut off while driving at a low speed or stopped. Check engine light came on. Did internet research. Found other owners of Nissan Altima's had the same problems. Brought the car to Nissan dealer was told they had alot of complaints about the crankshaft position sensor going bad. Had it replaced, the car works fine now. Nissan needs to recall this part. When the car shuts off while driving, you loose all power! power steering, brakes, etc. It's an accident waiting to happen.

- Gulfport, MS, USA

Feb 262009

Car would not start and service engine soon light on. Crankshaft and camshaft sensors replaced, at my expense. Told my vehicle not included in the recall. They need to expand the recall to include 2005 2.5S models. It's all over the internet about these same issues!!!!!

- Damascus, MD, USA

Jan 222009

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact noticed that the vehicle would spontaneously stall and exhibit a no start condition. The dealer stated that her VIN was included in NHTSA campaign id number 07V527000 (engine and engine cooling), but she would be responsible for the diagnostic fee, plus the fee for the component because the failure already occurred. The manufacturer did not assist. The vehicle has not been repaired. The failure and current mileages were 80,000.

- North Port , FL, USA

Dec 292008

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact noticed that the engine warning indicator would consistently illuminate on the instrument panel. He also noticed that the vehicle would drive abnormally slow as if it were not maintaining the proper gear. The dealer stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign id number 07V527000 (engine and engine cooling), although the failures were identical. The dealer would not assume any responsibility for the repairs. The vehicle was repaired at the cost of $279. The manufacturer did not assist. The failure mileage was 61,081 and current mileage was 61,600. Updated 3/16/09 the crankshaft sensor was replaced. Updated 03/20/09.

- Cincinati, OH, USA

Jan 202009

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the crankshaft position sensor in her vehicle is defective. The vehicle will not start when the ignition is turned and she must wait a couple of minutes for the vehicle to finally start. Occasionally, the vehicle will shut off while driving various speeds. The dealer stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign id number 07V527000 (engine and engine cooling). The contact will check again with the manufacturer to see if the vehicle can be repaired under the warranty and recall. The failure mileage was 53,000.

- Monterey, CA, USA

Feb 022009

2005 Nissan Altima has issues with tires and wheel alignment. Consumer states that the customer service is not good with phone calls. The consumer stated she was on her third set of tires at 22,000 miles. The technician stated the vehicle had weak axles and were often mis-aligned at the factory. Even with the proper maintenance, the mis-alignment would return. The consumer stated the vehicle would not start. It was later determined that the crank position sensor was the cause. The consumer attempted to install a car seat, but she soon discovered, the rear seat belt did not catch as it should have and it did not recoil when it was not being used. The fan would blow and work in all positions, but the only time it would blow warm or hot air was when the accelerator was in use and running for 10-15 minutes. The windows would defrost on the outside, but not the inside. It would form a thin layer of ice and fog that had to be scraped or wiped with warm water, or it would eventually fade after driving for some time.

- Barbourville, KY, USA

Aug 222008

Recall notice on resetting a ECM unit because crankshaft sensor could shutoff car while driving. My crankshaft sensor was bad, I had it replaced because the check engine light came on.

- Liverpool, NY, USA

Jan 102009

There was a recall R0712. I have seen multiple complaints on the web associated with the crankshaft sensor going out. My check engine light is on and reading error code P0335 is directly associated with R0712 reprogramming. I called Nissan and they stated it would cost me $200 to fix.

- Eagan, MN, USA

Jan 122009

Service engine soon light came on. Two days later, it would not start. Replaced a battery but still would not start. Had to take to the dealer to replace the crank sensor.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Dec 252008

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. While driving approximately 45 mph on normal road conditions, the vehicle hesitated excessively when pressure was applied to the accelerator pedal. The engine warning indicator illuminated intermittently on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing and they reset the computerized system. On a separate occasion, the vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for identical failures. The VIN was excluded from NHTSA campaign id number 07V527000 (engine and engine cooling), although the failures were identical. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was 70,000.

- Hubert, NC, USA

Dec 152007

I had no problems with my car until this recall was repaired - NHTSA campaign #07V527000 engine and engine cooling - 2005 Nissan Altima -- on certain passenger vehicles equipped with a 2.5L engine, the crankshaft position sensor can overheat causing a brief interruption in the signal output from the sensor. If the interruption in the signal from the crankshaft position sensor is so brief that the electronic control module (ECM) logic does not have time to diagnose the condition, the engine may stop running without warning while the vehicle is driven at a low speed increasing the risk of a crash. Dealers will reprogram the ECM free of charge. My car was part of this recall. Since the reprogramming was completed my car started having slow acceleration and jerks while engine tries to upshift. It began to not crank at all. After several attempts it finally would. This happens very often and I never know if my car will start. Nissan could not diagnosis since my engine light wasn't on. The problem has increased to the engine cutting off by itself and just now the engine light has came on. I am taking it in for diagnosis tomorrow but can see that I am not the first to have these serious problems. Nissan needs to replace the ECM instead of reprogramming since it did not resolve the problem. I am fearful that an accident will result from these problems.

- Newnan, GA, USA

Aug 012008

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. While driving 30 mph, the vehicle would shut down without warning. The contact took the vehicle to the repair shop and they discovered that the oxygen sensor failed. The oxygen sensor was replaced; however, the vehicle continued to shut off. On August 1, 2008, the vehicle would not accelerate in traffic and was rear ended. The contact's vehicle was pushed into the preceding vehicle. The contact and three passengers received minor injuries. She received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign id number 07V527000 (engine and engine cooling) two weeks after the crash. The insurance company did not investigate. A report was filed with the manufacturer. The failure and current mileages were 103,000. Updated 03/24/09. Updated 03/24/09.

- San Felipe, TX, USA

Nov 092008

The service engine soon light came on sporadically and then consistent with every time my car was started. The cause was a result of the crank sensor, which was recalled by Nissan, which included my 2005 Altima. However, after taking my car to the dealership, I was told my model was not recalled, however, it is the same problem and model as the cars that were recalled by Nissan North America, Inc.

- Orlando, FL, USA