Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005 Nissan Altima has two fairly significant problems with the floor pan rusting through & motor mounts breaking.

Altima owners report that up to a basketball-size hole develops under the floor mats where the floor pan metal rusts through. Average repair cost is over $1,000.

The broken motor mounts are less of a problem - they break at ~75,000 miles average & it's $400 to fix. Still, motor mounts should not break!

2005 Nissan Altima miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Altima:

2005 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 262016

The floorboards on my 2005 Nissan Altima are completely rusted through. You can see the carpet from the underbed on both sides (driver and passanger). I understand that this may be a flaw in the drainage system of my car and it's pretty costly to get this repaired & to be perfectly honest, I can¿T afford to get it repaired. I also understand that many people have reported the same problems with their Altima.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jan 182016

Sunroof blew away while we were driving on highway at 65 mph. Already subject to voluntary safety recall: Holland 700 and hollandia 900. We did not have the info. Webasto is unhelpful in getting car repaired.

- Ithaca, NY, USA

Jan 122016

The floor boards under the passenger's feet are completely rusted out. This is a huge safety hazard and should be treated as such. I was doing my reserach and from all the reports, it doesn't seem like Nissan or NHTSA is taking this seriously. You can see the road thru the huge holes.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Dec 162015

Driver's side floor board has rusted through from the inside out. There is a drainage issue.

- Maybrook, NY, USA

Dec 122015

My 2005 nissian Altima has been giving me issues with the shifter when attempting to switch gear from reverse to drive it takes several minutes just for the car to go into gear and when doing so jerks extremely hard...I have also had many issues with it not wanting to start and I will have to place vehicle in neutral then force back into park many times before my car will start...this vehicle has been well maintained and kept very clean...while having car inspected I was informed of the floor boards rotting out...I have tried to contact Nissan and discuss these issues...I have had 000 results in being able to do so...this is very dangerous...if I would have known of these issues I would have never purchased this vehicle...and with the treatment from Nissan...will never purchase any vehicle from them again

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Oct 222015

Takata recall. Vehicle has had multiple issues with the crankshaft position sensor and the camshaft position sensor. When dealer is notified, dealer refuses that there was a past recall on this part for the 2005 Nissan Altima with a 2.5 engine. Dealer will not help. This vehicle has turned off while in motion as well as stationary. This vehicle also would not start up. Local mechanic is quoted saying " vehicle's engine parts are the exact engine parts from when the car was made. The parts were never replaced.".

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 072015

Crankshaft position sensor same thing is happening to the 2005 summary: On certain passenger vehicles equipped with a 2.5L engine, the crankshaft position sensor can overheat causing a brief interruption in the signal output from the sensor. Consequence: If the interruption in the signal from the crankshaft position sensor is so brief that the electronic control module (ECM) logic does not have time to diagnose the condition, the engine may stop running without warning while the vehicle is driven at a low speed increasing the risk of a crash.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Sep 172015

My car has been rejected 2 years in a row during my routine inspection, due to rusted/rotted out floor board on the passenger side of the vehicle. I brought my Nissan to kelly Nissan of lynnfield in July 2014, after my local auto mechanic failed it [July 2014] due to rusted/rotted out floor board on the passenger side of the vehicle. The dealership passed my car in inspection and told us that there was no cause for concern about the floorboard. Today, I brought my vehicle for inspection [past due] to my local auto mechanic, and they failed it due to rusted/rotted out floor board on the passenger side of the vehicle. They approximated the hole is 4 inches by 6 inches. I contacted Nissan and created a case file. I am supposed to be contacted by a local representative by cob tomorrow. The manager of kelly Nissan of lynnfield called me to tell me that he cannot do anything to help me until a determination is made by the local rep, and hopefully it will go through, as it appears that I have brought my car to their dealership enough to warrant them to do the repair. So that was the good news; that I have enough history with their dealership that I could potentially get it repaired.

- Topsfield, MA, USA

Aug 212015

• 1,000,000 miles
The entire front passenger side undercarriage is rusted out. I purchased this car new from a Nissan dealership and took it into the same dealership for 10 years every 3,500 miles. The dealership never mentioned that the undercarriage was rusting out. I only learned of the issue when I took the car to an independent mechanic for an annual safety inspection.

- Lees Summit, MO, USA

Aug 192015

As you well know by now, the numerous documented issues with 2002-2006 Nissan Altima has alas reached my Nissan Altima. Floorboard is rusting intensely but I am not do rich so can't afford the thousands of dollars that every mechanic (I paid to inspect by the way) is quoting me. Nothing much to add to this description because no one is going to do anything about this anyway. Issue has been on local newscasts so my insignificant contribution of filing complaint is strictly to join the cause in mind and spirit. By no means trying to sound insensitive instead truthful; it's clear someone will have to die before things change, just hope isn't is me.

- Rosedale, NY, USA

Jul 012015

My daughter was driving her 2005 Nissan Altima and over corrected in a curve. She hit a tree and the air bag in the steering wheel deployed. She was wearing her seat belt and was held back by the seat belt her head impacting the center or the steering wheel. The cover over the air bag blew out hinging itself at the top and making two very pointed and sharp edges on each bottom corner. The right bottom point pierced the skin between her nose and the corner of her left eye missing it by less than a sixteenth of an inch and breaking her nose. The dangerous part is the two sharp points on the flap where the air big deployed should be considered a design flaw.

- El Dorado, AR, USA

Jul 312015

The car's electrical system failed and while driving. The brake and battery lights kept going off and on. There was also a clanking sound. I stopped and let car cool. Continued driving and noticed fire from my rear view mirror. Ran out of car and it caught fire 30 seconds after followed by couple of explosions.

- Nacogdoches, TX, USA

Nov 212014

The floor boards under the driver and passenger seats have rusted so badly I can put my foot through the hole

- Marine City, MI, USA

Jun 012012

The entire floor in front of the front seats is completely rusted through to the point that you can see the road underneath the car. Ever since I purchased the vehicle the floor had holes in it (found right after I had already bought the vehicle). This is a hazard for the passengers, very common amongst Nissan Altima and should be addressed by the manufacturer. This issue makes the car unsellable since it will never pass inspection unless a major repair is done to its body. It is unacceptable that a car would have structural issues like severe rust and Nissan not do anything about it and the NHTSA not make Nissan buy the affected vehicles back.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Jun 012015

A mechanic, during an unrelated repair, reported he could see carpet from the underneath my car and upon further inspection discovered two holes in the floorboards on the drivers and passengers sides (front seat). I took this in for an estimate and it will cost $700-1000 to repair. This is a defect in the manufacturer's design...these floorboards should not rust completely through like this. I have children and am worried that road debris or something ripping through the carpet from the inside could cause injury or worse and this is a safety issue.

- Raymond, IA, USA

Jul 072015

I recently had my 2005 Nissan Altima in the shop for and oil change & front brake replacement. The tech reported a rust issue on the drivers & passenger side floor pans. He got a nearby body shop to give a repair quote, which is ~$700. I took a look under the car myself & was shocked to find floor rust ~18" X 9" on passenger & driver floor boards. The rust holes are almost identical. There are no other rust spots on the car, which leads me to believe there is a factory defect. A look on line showed what I suspected; an epidemic of rust in the same location on every Altima! my car spent its first 8 years in southeast Michigan. The last 2 have been in Florida. The car has been garage-kept its entire life. The isolation of the rust is very obvious. This car has been probably the most reliable car I've ever owned, which makes this rust issue so disappointing. From the research I've gathered, Nissan has no intention of standing behind this issue. I had plans to trade this car in on a Nissan quest in 2016. I will be crossing Nissan off the list.

- Psl, FL, USA

Jul 022015

Front floorboards rusting though, looking at other complaints this seems to be a common problem with this car.

- Mt Washington, KY, USA

Jun 132015

The floor of my 2005 Nissan Altima has rusted out on both sides, this shoulld be a recall because I have read that other customers have the same problem

- Dolton, IL, USA

Apr 282015

I had been aware there there was some rust on the driver's side floor pan. My Altima was recently taken to my mechanic and put on the lift for some maintenance and my mechanic took pictures to show me how extensive the rust had become. A significant portion of the floor under the driver's feet is missing and a large piece of metal is hanging down. The mechanic also noticed that the passenger side now has a small patch of rust.

- Brookhaven, PA, USA

Jun 072015

2005 Nissan Altima with 59,270 miles as of 06.07.15, has a rusted floor board on the passenger side consistent with the hundreds of other complaints to you, to Nissan, and as outlined on the today show. Car is in excellent condition, only owner, garaged since purchase and shortly due to Nissan's design and engineering defects two things will happen: 1. the floor board will be completely rusted out and allow exhaust fumes and water into the car. 2. the value of my car which I have spent considerable time and effort maintaining will diminish significantly due to no fault of my own. It is absolutely criminal that Nissan has not had a recall for qualified cars, and I 100% guarantee you that my car would qualify. So now every time it rains or I wash the car, due to Nissan's design and engineering defects, I'm one step closer to having a built-in exhaust fume air conditioner. A modern day "flintstones" car if you will. Criminal!

- Geneva, IL, USA