CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Nissan Altima has two fairly significant problems with the floor pan rusting through & motor mounts breaking.

Altima owners report that up to a basketball-size hole develops under the floor mats where the floor pan metal rusts through. Average repair cost is over $1,000.

The broken motor mounts are less of a problem - they break at ~75,000 miles average & it's $400 to fix. Still, motor mounts should not break!

2005 Nissan Altima seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Altima:

2005 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Dec 162015

Altima

"takata air bag" - Nissan's VIN server has been "down" for over 2 weeks, and do not answer their phone to check if our vehicle is effected by the takata air bag recall. Also, this sites NHTSA VIN search also crashes when searching for Nissan VIN numbers. Nissan should be answering their phone, and fix their website so VIN can be researched on this serious - life threatening issue!

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Jun 282015

Altima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the air bag light flashed on the instrument panel. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The dealer and manufacturer were not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 86,000.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Jul 012015

Altima

My daughter was driving her 2005 Nissan Altima and over corrected in a curve. She hit a tree and the air bag in the steering wheel deployed. She was wearing her seat belt and was held back by the seat belt her head impacting the center or the steering wheel. The cover over the air bag blew out hinging itself at the top and making two very pointed and sharp edges on each bottom corner. The right bottom point pierced the skin between her nose and the corner of her left eye missing it by less than a sixteenth of an inch and breaking her nose. The dangerous part is the two sharp points on the flap where the air big deployed should be considered a design flaw.

- El Dorado, AR, USA

Jun 162015

Altima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Winchester, VA, USA

Nov 012014

Altima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that when the ignition was turned to the on position, the air bag warning indicator illuminated. The failure recurred continuously. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 128,000.

- Corona, CA, USA

May 212014

Altima

My 17 year old daughter was involved in an accident with my 2005 Nissan Altima on May 21, 2014. She was hit by another vehicle in which she received back, leg and knee injuries. My vehicle was hit hard on the front passenger side in which the airbag did not deploy when clearly it should have by the impact of the accident and the speed of the other driver. To add, my daughter was wearing her seat belt and thank god there were no fatalities. When I purchased the vehicle I had no idea that there had been recalls on the vehicle for airbag issues. I would not have purchased it if so. In doing research I am finding out about the airbag issues affecting past and current Nissan models. The car was deemed a total loss by my insurance company. The airbag system should deploy when the restraint controller detects a moderate to severe frontal collision. In my research, I have found that some airbags fail to deploy because auto manufacturers attempts to cut costs associated with their airbag systems, which in turn reduces the quality or the quantity of the airbag sensors. I would like the NHTSA to investigate this issue. I am out a car and strongly considering retaining an attorney to handle the case..,.updated 12/03/14

- Scotch Plains, NJ, USA

May 212014

- Scotch Plains, NJ, USA

Aug 042014

Altima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. While driving 65 mph, the contact's vehicle crashed into another vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed. Two occupants sustained injuries and required medical attention. The vehicle was towed to an impound lot and has not been repaired. The failure mileage was 16,100.

- 3503 38th Street #103, AL, USA

May 062013

Altima 4-cyl

The airbag suddenly came on while parked. Also, the light indicating that a passenger is seated does not register that person. Dealership says there is no recall for my vehicle.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Mar 192014

Altima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact was driving approximately 25-30 mph and attempted to avoid crashing into a small animal that crossed into the roadway however, crashed into a ditch instead. The seat belts failed to retract and the air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained sharp bodily pains to the shoulders, ribs, neck and head. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not alerted of the failure. The failure mileage and VIN was unavailable.

- Laurinburg, NC, USA

Feb 212014

Altima 4-cyl

I was driving down I-95 South, just North of exit 13. Cloudy, rainy evening commute about 5:50pm. I was slowing down in preparation to get off the highway at my exit and I was traveling in the second to right lane. All of a sudden I heard a bang and was hit simultaneously in the left side of the head and neck. At first I thought something had come through the window and hit me in the side of the face. It took me a few seconds to figure out what had happened - the curtain and side airbags on both the drivers side and passenger side had deployed with no warning or collision. Fortunately I was able to maintain control of the vehicle and was able to pull off the highway. I was lucky that the airbags deploying spontaneously did not cause a serious accident resulting in injuries or death. I was also lucky that my 17 month old daughter was not in the vehicle when this malfunction occurred. Upon examining the exterior of the vehicle there was no impact damage anywhere to have caused the deployment. The vehicle has been towed to the nearest dealership. We contacted Nissan usa and they have determined it is not their problem. We have comprehensive insurance and they have determined it was an electrical or mechanical malfunction and it is not their problem. The repairs have been quoted by the dealership at about $6000 (the car isn't worth that much). We have taken care of the vehicle as could be reasonably expected and it seems to me that this is outside the scope of reasonable care though none of the parties seem interested in addressing it further.

- Warwick, RI, USA

Mar 072014

Altima

The contact owns a owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the mat sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 156,000.

- Buford, GA, USA

Oct 242012

Altima

I would like to know how the NHTSA and Nissan can ignore my complaints and calls that myself and my husband have made regarding my faulty airbags and my seat belts. I was going 45 miles per hour when I struck another vehicle that pulled out in front of me. My seat belts along with my 2 children that were in the car with me at the time didn't lock for them either. My airbags didn't deploy. We suffered from medical issues because of this. My car has been totaled because of the severity of the damages. I would like to know how Nissan nor anyone else for this matter will take responsibility for faulty equipment. I'm thinking its time that I might have to take this matter to the media and also the better business bureau. I had put my trust in these manufactures that have failed to protect us as they said they would. Yet when it comes down to it they really don't care. Can anyone give any other advice?

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Sep 012012

Altima 6-cyl

We have been going around and around with Nissan about a front passenger seat air bag sensor. (faulty) the only repair that can be made is an entire new seat bottom to the tune of $2,200. Now I'm ok without the air bag not working at that location, but the indication from the dealership is when there is a fault the entire system shuts down not just the passenger front seat. This to me is a complete design flaw that now jeopardizes the entire car safety system.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Oct 242012

Altima

My wife was driving at 45mph when a Expedition made an illegal left turn in front of her causing an accident. The front of her Nissan Altima was crushed in with moderate damage according to the police report. Her airbags did not deploy nor did the seatbelts lock. My wife sustained whip lash, and bruising on her chest from hitting the steering wheel. She also had both knees hit the front dash board and sustained injuries. My daughter sitting in the front passenger had sprained wrists from putting her hands out onto the dash trying to stop from hitting the dash/windshield. My son sitting in the left rear passenger seat had sprained wrists and a sprained shoulder from hitting the front driver seat. Spoke to Nissan and had the vehicle inspected by their engineers, with information downloaded from the computer and photographs taken. Nissan had responded, that the vehicle operated under their standards and no further issues. I can't believe that a vehicle doing 45 mph with moderate front end damage hit an Expedition and the airbags/seatbelts failed to work. However Nissan feels that the vehicle performed up to their standards. This matter needs to be further investigated............

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Nov 252012

Altima

I was driving about 30 miles/per hour through an intersection and a driver drives to make a left hand turn I front of me. My car was struck mostly in the front towards the driver side. My airbag (driver side) did not deploy, but the other driver's did. After the accident my car was in-drivable and had to be towed.

- Springfield, PA, USA

Oct 082012

Altima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated while traveling 55 mph the vehicle crashed into another vehicle and the air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained neck and back injuries. The vehicle was completely destroyed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 170,000.

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Jan 232012

Altima 6-cyl

The air bag light in my 2005 Nissan Altima comes on when the car is started and blinks while driving. I had the car repaired back in 2009. The problem is now happening again, so I had an estimate at the nearest Nissan dealership. In order to be repaired they said, I would have to show there had been a previous work order in arrange for the repair to be covered under warranty" I called the other Nissan dealership where the repair happened and apparently, there is no paper trail the work order actually occurred? the copy of my paperwork shows there was a report and a custom part ordered, but no actual receipt showing this happened. I called the parts department that shows a custom part was ordered, however, it was never returned and it is no longer in the parts department.. so, no one knows seems to know about this mysterious missing part or what happened to the part" I know what happened to the part, it was installed in my car.. so, now I am told a sensor under the passenger seat is bad and needs to be repaired, which is under the passenger seat. It will cost me $1500 to repair. This is the second time this has occurred. I should not have to pay anything. What is more interesting is to find there are other car owners suffering from the same situation. Therefore this is not just my car... but a manufacture defect that should be covered under warranty!!!!!! car owner in ca, san bernardino county frustrated.

- Hesperia, CA, USA

Sep 142011

Altima 4-cyl

My son was involved in a frontal collision with an SUV at 45 mph air bags were not deployed. Car was a total damage.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Feb 112011

Altima

I failed to stop at a stop sign, and was traveling about 25-30 mph when I collided with a vehicle that hit my passenger side front quarter panel. The crash happened at such a high impact that the passenger side airbag deployed, but the airbag on the driver's side did not deploy, causing me severe bruising and injury. The crash was severe enough that our insurance declared our vehicle a total loss. The airbag should have deployed in this crash, and Nissan should be held responsible for these injuries in cases like this. My husband and I purchased this car for many reasons, but the safety from air bags was a primary reason. They failed in my case, and I am concerned that others may have experienced faulty air bags as well from Nissan.

- Racine , WI, USA