2005 Nissan Altima steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Altima:

2005 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

May 222013

Altima 6-cyl

The first time car stopped running while driving 35 mph. The second time it stopped running while turning and the steer got real stiff. Thank god there was no accident but it was real scary!!!

- Lisle, IL, USA

Jan 252013

Altima 4-cyl

I have a 2005 Nissan Altima that I bought in 2008 and has had nothing but problems, first had to replace the steering knuckle because the steering was going out ($400) than had to replace the motor mounts, struts, inner/outer tie rods, I have no heat when at idle, while putting new tires on again, I also learned my floor boards are almost rusted through, and now I can not even drive my car because about 3 weeks ago it started sucking down oil ( 4 qts within a 3-6 hour time frame) and it's smoking bad out the tail pipe because of the head gasket/piston rings caused by a faulty pre-cat, and told I need to replace the engine. I see there is a recall for the 2.5L engine for this issue but on a 2006 model, what about my 2005 model with same engine?? searching the internet I find hundreds if not thousands of people having this same issues in 2002-2006 Altima's, obviously there is a problem with these engines and Nissan should be held accountable!!

- Melrose Park, IL, USA

Sep 172012

Altima 4-cyl

I was driving home from work and my steering got very hard to steer to the left and right.

- Foxboro, MA, USA

Apr 222011

Altima

The vehicle steering binds when turning left or right and fails to recoverto the neutral position without significant manual assist. Replacement of lower steering joint assembly and front end alignment was required.

- Hauppauge, NY, USA

Mar 112011

Altima

The vehicle steering binds when turning and fails to return to the neutral position without manually returning it to the neutral (straight) position.

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Nov 172010

Altima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact was driving 35 mph when steering wheel locked up abnormally causing a loss of steering capabilities. The contact stated that he would spray wd-40 on the steering knuckle to correct the failure. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic where he was advised that the steering knuckle would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact was concerned of the possibility of the failure causing a crash. The failure mileage was 108,000.

- Holbrook, NY, USA

Mar 072011

Altima

The driver owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact, on behalf of the driver, stated that the driver was involved in a crash in which the steering wheel became extremely hot and burned the driver's hands. A police report was filed and no other injuries were reported other than the driver. The vehicle was towed by the contact's insurance company. The failure was not diagnosed and the vehicle was in the process of being repaired for body damages. The failure and current mileage was 120,000.

- Bethlehem, CT, USA

Jun 012010

Altima

I own a 2005 Nissan Altima, and I recently took the car in because the power steering seemed to be going out. The steering is very difficult once you turn the wheel more than 1/4 to the right or left. When the weather is warmer, the problem is not as serious; but in cold weather, the car becomes very hard to steer. The Nissan service department indicated the U-joint on the lower section of the steering column is going bad and needs to be replaced. I did a search to see if other owners were having a similar problem, and I found several blogs indicating other owners are having the same exact problem at approximately the same mileage (75,000 miles).

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jan 012004

Ooo.

- Jamaica, NY, USA

Mar 232009

Altima

2005 Altima became very difficult to steer. Took the car to my mechanic and he discovered that the steering shaft U-joint had rusted and seized. (he felt the seals on the shaft are defective.) he had to backorder the part, so there appears to be a nationwide problem with this part. (one dealer had fourteen in stock and all were accounted for.

- Portage, MI, USA

Mar 012009

Altima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact noticed that the steering wheel was difficult to turn while driving 10 mph. She took the vehicle to the dealer and they stated that the steering coupler failed. The dealer will replace the steering coupler at the cost of $300, but it is currently on back order. A report was filed with the manufacturer and they stated that the contact would receive a call back from a representative. The vehicle has not been repaired. The current and failure mileages were 90,000.

- Chicago , IL, USA

Feb 062009

Altima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact believes that she purchased the vehicle with a steering defect. She noticed that the steering wheel was difficult to turn while driving. The vehicle was towed to an auto collision repair shop and the mechanic stated that the lower steering shaft cupler failed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer stated that they would not assist because the vehicle was purchased from a private dealer. The failure mileage was 87,000 and current mileage was 90,000. Updated 03/12/09. The inner tie rod was replaced and the front end was aligned. Updated 03/16/09.

- Wolcott, CT, USA

Oct 152008

Altima

While making a left turn my steering wheel rack failed, causing my vehicle to drift into other lanes. At that same moment I smelled this horrible burning. I was able to gain control of the vehicle and was able to drive a block to the nearest Nissan dealership. There is where I found out that my steering wheel rack went out and the cost to replace it would be $1700 for Nissan parts and $1296 for I believe refurbished parts.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Apr 082008

Altima 4-cyl

Nissan part #480808J000 called the coupling shaft & column locked up on me, causing my steering to go out in my vehicle. Vehicle was not drivable as it was, tried to do a U-turn, steering went and all most hit a building. I was told this part was on back order nation wide and they had no idea when the part would be in. I do have the new part, kept the old part and if you try to move the bottom shaft portion, that should move freely, you have to wrench on it to move the part, it is rusted. If you are driving this vehicle it might go at 21,000 or 50,000 miles, I have 51,000 miles on my vehicle and it went, the shop had a vehicle that matched mine except for mileage 21,000 and the part went out 6 weeks before mine did and that owner was still waiting on the part.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Sep 012005

Altima 6-cyl

New 2005 Altima 3.5 SE bought August 2005 1st month I had noticed a vibration in the steering at high speeds, and the vehicle pulling/drifting from left to right. This concern makes the vehicle unsafe to drive because you do not have a sense of control when driving, in addition when driving on a highway for a long period of time the vibration in the wheel makes your hands and arms fall asleep. It is always necessary after an hour or hour and a half to pull over and give your arms/ hands a rest. The dealer addressed this concern by balancing the wheels by road force balance (corrected specs - 21lbs road force down to 7lbs) no alignment issues were noticed. After 3 tips to the dealership for the vibrations I had noticed a clunk in the front end, it ended up being a strut that needed to be replaced. With the next trip the dealership the vibration in the steering was now evident at all speeds, it was still drifting, and a new "hum" had developed at random times while driving. The dealer unable to verify any of my concerns suggested that I go for a ride with the service manger. After that ride he suggested that I have my tires swapped for new ones of another brand. On my next trip to the dealer they swapped all 4 of my tires for another brand name and re-aligned the front suspension and front end. Throughout the winter the car ran ok other than some electrical problems that would kill my battery and the rear pillar airbags coming out. It was not until the spring that I was forced to bring my car down again for the vibration in the steering wheel and the clunk in the front end. The dealer could not verify any clunk in the front end but agreed that there is again a vibration and remedied the problem by adjusting the steering rack pre-load. Initially the vibration was reduced, but within a month it was back. The service manager admitted that adjusting the steering rack pre-load was only a "temporary fix" a "bandaid for the problem".

- New London, NH, USA

Jan 302006

Altima 4-cyl

: the contact stated the vehicle pulls to the right at speeds above 35 mph. The dealership replaced the transfer links, spindles, and bushings, in an attempt to remedy the problem. The vehicle has been aligned by 2 dealerships. The district manager determined it to be a problem with the steering, but an engineer for the manufacturer determined this is normal operating conditions.

- Ringgold, GA, USA

Jan 082006

Altima 6-cyl

I was driving about 10-15 mph. I was approaching a stop sign and I tried to apply the brakes. My brakes and steering wheel locked up and my car swerved to the left and hit a parked vehicle. My car was towed to the dealer and still remains there.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

Jul 152004

Altima 4-cyl

Car pulls to right and left hard to control steering...took to dealer four times, they say its the road.

- Farmingdale, NY, USA