CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Nissan Altima has a trend of engine problems, both in our data & definitely in the NHTSA's complaint data as well.

Excessive oil consumption is the main problem reported by owners. Nissan did a recall back in 2006 for oil consumption due to bad piston rings, but many owners report to us that the recall didn't fix the problem.

The dealer only had to check the oil consumption rate. Typically 1 qt per 1,000 miles is "acceptable" per OEM standards ... that's a lot of oil!

4.9

2006 Nissan Altima accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Altima:

2006 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Nov 152007

Altima 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. The contact noticed that the odometer was putting more miles on the vehicle than what was actually being driven. The failure was noticed while driving 35 mph. The vehicle has been to the dealer three times, but they have been unable to determine the cause of the failure. The current and failure mileages were 41,000.

- Hamilton, OH, USA

Feb 092007

Altima

I own a 2006 Nissan Altima. I have an aftermarket gps system that I use in the car. I have noticed that the speed gauged by the gps has a variance from what shows on the speedometer. For instance, if I am traveling 40 mph and have the cruise control set to that speed, the gps shows that I am actually traveling 36 mph. The difference between the two devices grows as my speed increases.

- Deltona, FM, USA