CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Nissan Altima has a trend of engine problems, both in our data & definitely in the NHTSA's complaint data as well.

Excessive oil consumption is the main problem reported by owners. Nissan did a recall back in 2006 for oil consumption due to bad piston rings, but many owners report to us that the recall didn't fix the problem.

The dealer only had to check the oil consumption rate. Typically 1 qt per 1,000 miles is "acceptable" per OEM standards ... that's a lot of oil!

2006 Nissan Altima body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Altima:

2006 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 2 of 8)

Jun 032016

Altima

Passenger side floor rusted away - about 16" X 8" damaged area. Must have started long ago, but I only caught it recently and today I began to try to repair it, but the damage is much worse than what I could initially see. This is a known design flaw with Altima in this age range, but Nissan is ignoring.

- Fishers, IN, USA

Apr 252016

Altima

The passenger side floorboard has completely rusted and the carpet is the only thing separating the passenger's feet from the ground. The hole is 16 inches in length. I saw some sort of plastic hanging from the area and when I looked under the car, the floorboard is completely rusted. When I examined the area with my hand, I felt the carpet and am able to push it up into the floor of the car. This is a safety hazard and defect in the car. This has obviously been rusting for some time now and I did not know my daughter was sitting over a gaping whole in the floor and in danger from her feet falling through the floor or something potentially piercing through and injuring her.

- Homewood, IL, USA

May 112016

Altima

Went for an oil change/tire rotation and mechanic said that both driver and pasenger side floorboards were almost rusted through. Contacted Nissan dealer I purchased car from, they said there was no recall but that Nissan has issued a "service bulletin" on how to repair the issue. Cost of replacement parts and labor was in excess of $3,000. Do not feel that a ten year old car should be experiencing this issue. Car has 170K miles but otherwise is in flawless condition.

- Whiting, IN, USA

Apr 162016

Altima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that there was premature deterioration and corrosion on the floorboards. The driver side floor boards had holes and exposed areas due to the failure. The dealer scheduled an appointment for an inspection and diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and provided no solution. The VIN and failure mileage were not available.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Apr 182016

Altima

A hole has rusted through the front passenger side floorboard. Just noticed it today 4/18/16.

- Stanford, KY, USA

Mar 302016

Altima

Discovered rotted floor boards. Nissan has recalls for this issue and researched hundreds of complaints of this issue.

- South Toms River, NJ, USA

Oct 312015

Altima

Vehicle exhibits serious rusting of floorboard on the passenger side front. The vehicle is in great condition otherwise (no visible rust on body panels) and the rest of the underbody is in great condition (minimal corrosion, as expected for vehicle of its age). Passenger side floorboard is noticeably soft, and rusted completely through the floor pan in one spot (you can put a finger through it if carpet is removed). This is unexpected as the floor pan is coated with a rubberized underbody protectant in this area. The floor pan must be replaced in this area, but Nissan only sells the entire floor pan for the vehicle, which is quite costly. I am disappointed because I have no evidence which indicates this issue is caused by any damage or neglect, it seems as if this is due to a coating failure or manufacturing defect.

- Lake Villa, IL, USA

May 122015

Altima

I have a 2006 Nissan Altima and my passager floorboards are rusted all the way through. Its seems that alot of people have that same issue.

- Hickory Hills, IL, USA

Oct 012013

Altima

The front floor pans have rustted away and part of the floor is missing due to rusting. Nissan is very aware of the problem and offered to install a floor fix at a cost of $700.

- Kingsville, MD, USA

Jan 242016

Altima

Noticed when vehicle was stationary, a large rust hole underneath passenger side floormat. Plastic liner torn and carpet visible from underneath car. Affected area is between 14-20". passenger foot could potentially fall through floor of the car while in motion.

- Duxbury, MA, USA

Jan 072016

Altima

I took my car to a mechanic because I was smelling significant amounts of exhaust in the car cabin while driving and parked. The mechanic identified a rust hole in my exhaust just past the front catalytic converter, but more troubling was two huge holes in the floor boards on the driver and passenger side. Each rust hole is approximately 12 inches long X 4 inches wide and the padding an carpet can clearly be seen from underneath. Even after exhaust is fixed I am still at great risk of road debris and moisture entering the cabin from beneath the car. This car is just 10 years old and the rest of the body is in excellent condition with little to no rust. I live in a salt belt state but other cars of the same age don't seem to have this same problem. I've learned through media and web that this is a common problem with 2002 - 2006 Nissan Altima. I consider these holes to be a safety concern and manufacturer defect. I have filed a complaint with Nissan.

- Vernon Hills, IL, USA

Dec 142015

Altima

I have experienced many rust issues with my 2006 Nissan Altima. By far the worst is the risk of my feet going through the floormat due to rust of the floorboards. It is experienced on the driver's side, as well as a slight rust of the passengers side. I fear that I am in harm and can not afford the repair to make sure I am safe in my car. I have been using my car lightly for the last 4 years

- Schererville, IN, USA

Nov 252015

Altima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that there had been extensive premature rusting on the floor boards of the vehicle. In addition, the contact stated that there was corrosion holes through the front driver and passenger side floor boards. The contact mentioned that the holes had to be covered while the vehicle was operated. The vehicle was taken to two different dealers for inspection and diagnosis. The diagnosis and if the vehicle was repaired were unknown. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Kings Park, NY, USA

Sep 072015

Altima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the driver's side floor board had extensive corrosion. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the floor board needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. The VIN was not available.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Dec 122015

Altima

Both driver and passenger front floor boards are rusted through. Car only has 105,000 miles.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Nov 062015

• 1,200,000 miles
I was told while having service at Nissan that both the passenger and drivers side floor boards were rotting away, and need to be replaced. I was also informed that my oil pan was rusting out. This should of been a recall!!!!!!

- Wilmington, MA, USA

Nov 132015

Altima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while the vehicle was in for routine maintenance at an independent mechanic, the mechanic discovered that the sub frame of the vehicle under the front driver's side seat and the front passenger's side seat had extensive rust and corrosion. The contact was informed that the front floor pan needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 97,000.

- South Bend, IN, USA

Oct 312015

Altima

During oil change noticed that both drivers and passenger side floor pans were rusted through completely. Only thing left was the interior carpet between the road and a driver or passenger.

- Lombard, IL, USA

Apr 242015

Altima

I looked under my car today at a parking lot and found out that both passenger and driver side front floor board is rusting very heavily. I searched online and found many complaining about the same issue and same place in the car. My car has no rust anywhere else but only under the driver seat and front passenger seat. I am afraid that very soon it will develop into a hole in my car and I will be able to see the road under my feet from inside. This is very terrifying and I believe this is high risk safety issue. Since the same thing happen to many Altima owners, it is a design and manufacturing defect.

- Beavercreek, OH, USA

Oct 212015

Altima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that after the vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection, the technician discovered that the floorboards of the front driver and passenger side were corroded and rusted. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 95,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- New Bedford, MA, USA