CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Nissan Altima has a trend of engine problems, both in our data & definitely in the NHTSA's complaint data as well.

Excessive oil consumption is the main problem reported by owners. Nissan did a recall back in 2006 for oil consumption due to bad piston rings, but many owners report to us that the recall didn't fix the problem.

The dealer only had to check the oil consumption rate. Typically 1 qt per 1,000 miles is "acceptable" per OEM standards ... that's a lot of oil!

2006 Nissan Altima body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Altima:

2006 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 4 of 8)

May 302014

Altima

While I had the oil changed on my 2006 Nissan Altima, the tech noticed that there was some rusted metal under the passenger side. Upon inspection he found a 15"X10" hole in the passenger side floor board. This vehicle has about 85,000 miles and is garaged. I notified Nissan and they told me to bring the car into a Nissan dealership for inspection, which I did on 7/3/15. They took pictures and sent them to Nissan customer complaints. After several emails and phone calls going back and forth, they said there was nothing they could do. I have never heard of a vehicle with such low miles having this problem. This is not a isolated case. Several more Nissan Altima owners have this same proble. I am having the vehicle repaired for safety reasons at my own expense. There should be a national recall on this make and model year.

- Worcester, MA, USA

Oct 242014

Altima

Floorboards are rusting through on driver & passenger sides of the vehicle. I'm concerned about safety if a hole opens or if something comes through from the underside.

- Lake Carmel, NY, USA

Jun 022015

Altima

My entire drivers side and passneger side floor board has rotted out completely. Im talking I can put my foot through it. I head all of it fall out driving down the I-90. This car is rust free from Florida. This is such bs and is unsafe to drive.

- Dunkirk, NY, USA

Jun 012015

Altima

I took my car in for a safety inspection and learned that the driver's side floor board was rusted entirely through. The only thing between me and the road was the floor mat. The car did not pass inspection and when I took it to my regular mechanic he was shocked at what it looked like. I took it to a body shop and likewise he couldn't believe from the look of the car (which has been well maintained) that it would be rusted out like it is. That led me to do some research and learned that this is not an uncommon complaint and that class action law suits are popping up all over the country. I want to lodge my complaint and add it to the others who have notified you of this serious safety risk posed by this defect.

- Arlington, VA, USA

May 012015

Altima

The floor board (pan) under driver left foot is rusted. There is a hole about 4 by 8 inches big.

- Abingdon, MD, USA

May 252015

Altima

Both floor boards are rusted on the undercarriage. Front of the vehicle we were changing the tires and noticed the serious rusting out of both floor boards.

- Zanesville, OH, USA

Feb 172015

Altima

I took my vehicle in for an oil change and the garage informed me that the floor board on the driver side was rusted out so bad that you could touch the carpet from the bottom. Also the passenger side was rusted with a hole but not as big as the driver side. I am not sure why Nissan has not issued a recall for this being there are hundreds of complaints for this. This problem is a safety issue considering it will not pass a safety inspection.

- Scranton, PA, USA

May 142015

Altima

Passenger side floorboard has rusted through and my under-padding is exposed. The car is unsafe to drive.

- Glen Mills, PA, USA

May 092015

Altima

The floor boards on both the driver and passenger have rooted out almost completely on my 2006 Nissan Altima. I have noticed this a about a year ago and it has got increasingly worse since. I can push the carpet up from under the vehicle and feel very unsafe. I am careful not to put weight on the floors while entering the vehicle for fear I am going to put my foot through the floor. This is a very common issue due to a flawed design in the drain system. The floorboards hold water which may accumulate through the door while raining and salt and water from the under side. Please issue a recall and make Nissan fix these vehicles that could stay on the road for many more years. My car has 109K miles on it and is in very good shape and runs very well. I don't want to have to do this job myself or pay 1,000 to get it fixed.

- Fall River, MA, USA

May 022015

Altima 4WD 6-cyl

Observed front passenger floorboard rusted/rotted completely through with hole to interior cabin allowing carbon monoxide / fume ingress. Observed front driver floorboard corrosion and structural failure in process.

- Cedarburg, WI, USA

Apr 012015

Altima 4-cyl

I have a 20006 Nissan Altima and the floor board is corroding underneath the driver seat I call Nissan and they said that there not a recall for that problem so they are not responsibility this a dangerous problem they are other with the same problem please help me.

- Washigton Dc, DC, USA

Apr 162015

Altima 4-cyl

Driver floor board rusted out and felt apart, I can start to see the road while driving, please issues this matter asap.

- Boston, MA, USA

Jan 162014

Altima 6-cyl

I discovered both floor pan/boards under the drivers and passengers side of the vehicle was rusted through. I had been tracking the problem for about 4 years, I finally had to purchase both new floor pans $171 each and have them replaced by a professional repair shop after oi removed the interior and reinstalled it once the repair was accomplished at a price of $799,00. The only thing holding the floor in place prior to repair was the sound proofing under the carpet. The poor relief or draining of water under the vehicle was a direct result of this vehicles problem.

- Maryland Heights, MO, USA

May 292013

Altima 6-cyl

Just wanted to add my complaint about my 2006 Nissan Altima which had severe rust under both sides of car under the seats. At the time it was noticed the car had 55823 miles and was serviced at the same dealership for the previous 4 years and just 3 months prior being noticed. Although I had to pay said dealership to repair after fighting with Nissan and dealership for 3 months. Just wanted to add my complaint after seeing article on tv news. Although car was 7 yrs. Old it should not have rusted with 55000 miles on it. Nissan motors would not pay cost for repair.($740). I know Nissan is big Corp. But either they or dealership should be held accountable. Big business wins again.

- Chelmsford, MA, USA

Sep 272014

Altima

I took my 2006 Nissan Altima to the dealer and a private auto mechanic to have it looked over before my extended warranty expired. The private mechanic showed me underneath the vehicle while it was on the lift and the entire drivers side floor is rusted almost through. Both Nissan and the extended warranty company said this repair would not be covered, in fact in the extended warranty policy it explicitly excludes the floor of the vehicle. I don't know how long it will be until the vehicle is unsafe to drive as my feet will eventually go through the floor.

- Rolling Meadows, IL, USA

Apr 112015

Altima 6-cyl

Huge rust under the driver's seat on the underside of the car. Also starting under the passenger front seat. Floorpan is rusting out so badly I fear my foot will fall through. This is not safe. Car has not other rust and well cared for. There is a problem here. I drove my last car for 21 years with not rust problems anywhere and I still live in the same area. This cannot be because of age or snow and salt. This appears to be a defect in the metal or design.

- Gallipolis, OH, USA

Mar 312015

Altima 4-cyl

Severe rusting & rotting of the driver and passenger front floor boards. Vehicle is otherwise in excellent condition and well-maintained. This body section appears to be defective and could be a safety issue if debris were to impact the weakened section at speed. Please take this complaint, and all the others like it, and have Nissan issue a recall!

- Tewksbury, MA, USA

Feb 162015

Altima 6-cyl

On or about the above date, we took the above vehicle in for routine scheduled maintenance. The dealer contacted us stating that they noticed that the driver and passenger side floor boards had rusted through. This was rather a surprise, they had not noticed it before...we have taken it to the same dealer for maintenance since we purchased it from them. The technician advised that they had seen this on this year and type vehicle before, "they have been known to rust out". he also stated that we should get it repaired as soon as possible. Due to our concern for safety, we had an autobody shop repair it.

- Peoria, IL, USA

Apr 092015

Altima 4-cyl

There is rust and holes that have developed under the drivers side of the car. I understand that this is happening to alot of Nissan all over the us. I also heard that because there aren't any injuries or fatalities that they haven't put a recall on this defect of the car. Is that what it will take?

- Rehoboth, MA, USA

Aug 012014

Altima 4-cyl

Took car to be inspected and vehicle inspector found that the front passenger floor board as well as the driver side floor board were rotted through. Always took immaculate care of the entire car. Tried contacting Nissan but they did not help; even after telling them that there are numerous complaints out on the internet.

- Scottdale , PA, USA