Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2006 Nissan Altima has a trend of engine problems, both in our data & definitely in the NHTSA's complaint data as well.

Excessive oil consumption is the main problem reported by owners. Nissan did a recall back in 2006 for oil consumption due to bad piston rings, but many owners report to us that the recall didn't fix the problem.

The dealer only had to check the oil consumption rate. Typically 1 qt per 1,000 miles is "acceptable" per OEM standards ... that's a lot of oil!

2006 Nissan Altima body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Altima:

2006 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 4 of 8)

May 252015

Both floor boards are rusted on the undercarriage. Front of the vehicle we were changing the tires and noticed the serious rusting out of both floor boards.

- Zanesville, OH, USA

Feb 172015

I took my vehicle in for an oil change and the garage informed me that the floor board on the driver side was rusted out so bad that you could touch the carpet from the bottom. Also the passenger side was rusted with a hole but not as big as the driver side. I am not sure why Nissan has not issued a recall for this being there are hundreds of complaints for this. This problem is a safety issue considering it will not pass a safety inspection.

- Scranton, PA, USA

May 142015

Passenger side floorboard has rusted through and my under-padding is exposed. The car is unsafe to drive.

- Glen Mills, PA, USA

May 092015

The floor boards on both the driver and passenger have rooted out almost completely on my 2006 Nissan Altima. I have noticed this a about a year ago and it has got increasingly worse since. I can push the carpet up from under the vehicle and feel very unsafe. I am careful not to put weight on the floors while entering the vehicle for fear I am going to put my foot through the floor. This is a very common issue due to a flawed design in the drain system. The floorboards hold water which may accumulate through the door while raining and salt and water from the under side. Please issue a recall and make Nissan fix these vehicles that could stay on the road for many more years. My car has 109K miles on it and is in very good shape and runs very well. I don't want to have to do this job myself or pay 1,000 to get it fixed.

- Fall River, MA, USA

May 022015

Altima 4WD 6-cyl

Observed front passenger floorboard rusted/rotted completely through with hole to interior cabin allowing carbon monoxide / fume ingress. Observed front driver floorboard corrosion and structural failure in process.

- Cedarburg, WI, USA

Apr 012015

Altima 4-cyl

I have a 20006 Nissan Altima and the floor board is corroding underneath the driver seat I call Nissan and they said that there not a recall for that problem so they are not responsibility this a dangerous problem they are other with the same problem please help me.

- Washigton Dc, DC, USA

Apr 162015

Altima 4-cyl

Driver floor board rusted out and felt apart, I can start to see the road while driving, please issues this matter asap.

- Boston, MA, USA

Jan 162014

Altima 6-cyl

I discovered both floor pan/boards under the drivers and passengers side of the vehicle was rusted through. I had been tracking the problem for about 4 years, I finally had to purchase both new floor pans $171 each and have them replaced by a professional repair shop after oi removed the interior and reinstalled it once the repair was accomplished at a price of $799,00. The only thing holding the floor in place prior to repair was the sound proofing under the carpet. The poor relief or draining of water under the vehicle was a direct result of this vehicles problem.

- Maryland Heights, MO, USA

May 292013

Altima 6-cyl

Just wanted to add my complaint about my 2006 Nissan Altima which had severe rust under both sides of car under the seats. At the time it was noticed the car had 55823 miles and was serviced at the same dealership for the previous 4 years and just 3 months prior being noticed. Although I had to pay said dealership to repair after fighting with Nissan and dealership for 3 months. Just wanted to add my complaint after seeing article on tv news. Although car was 7 yrs. Old it should not have rusted with 55000 miles on it. Nissan motors would not pay cost for repair.($740). I know Nissan is big Corp. But either they or dealership should be held accountable. Big business wins again.

- Chelmsford, MA, USA

Sep 272014

I took my 2006 Nissan Altima to the dealer and a private auto mechanic to have it looked over before my extended warranty expired. The private mechanic showed me underneath the vehicle while it was on the lift and the entire drivers side floor is rusted almost through. Both Nissan and the extended warranty company said this repair would not be covered, in fact in the extended warranty policy it explicitly excludes the floor of the vehicle. I don't know how long it will be until the vehicle is unsafe to drive as my feet will eventually go through the floor.

- Rolling Meadows, IL, USA

Apr 112015

Altima 6-cyl

Huge rust under the driver's seat on the underside of the car. Also starting under the passenger front seat. Floorpan is rusting out so badly I fear my foot will fall through. This is not safe. Car has not other rust and well cared for. There is a problem here. I drove my last car for 21 years with not rust problems anywhere and I still live in the same area. This cannot be because of age or snow and salt. This appears to be a defect in the metal or design.

- Gallipolis, OH, USA

Mar 312015

Altima 4-cyl

Severe rusting & rotting of the driver and passenger front floor boards. Vehicle is otherwise in excellent condition and well-maintained. This body section appears to be defective and could be a safety issue if debris were to impact the weakened section at speed. Please take this complaint, and all the others like it, and have Nissan issue a recall!

- Tewksbury, MA, USA

Feb 162015

Altima 6-cyl

On or about the above date, we took the above vehicle in for routine scheduled maintenance. The dealer contacted us stating that they noticed that the driver and passenger side floor boards had rusted through. This was rather a surprise, they had not noticed it before...we have taken it to the same dealer for maintenance since we purchased it from them. The technician advised that they had seen this on this year and type vehicle before, "they have been known to rust out". he also stated that we should get it repaired as soon as possible. Due to our concern for safety, we had an autobody shop repair it.

- Peoria, IL, USA

Apr 092015

Altima 4-cyl

There is rust and holes that have developed under the drivers side of the car. I understand that this is happening to alot of Nissan all over the us. I also heard that because there aren't any injuries or fatalities that they haven't put a recall on this defect of the car. Is that what it will take?

- Rehoboth, MA, USA

Aug 012014

Altima 4-cyl

Took car to be inspected and vehicle inspector found that the front passenger floor board as well as the driver side floor board were rotted through. Always took immaculate care of the entire car. Tried contacting Nissan but they did not help; even after telling them that there are numerous complaints out on the internet.

- Scottdale , PA, USA

Mar 032014

Altima 4-cyl

Noticed left side driver's side floor and side rail is rusted through completely, no accidents or other incidents occurred to cause this.

- West Haven, CT, USA

Apr 082015

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to the dealer for an unrelated repair and discovered that the there was rust present on the driver and passenger floor panels. The vehicle was then taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed with severe rust. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Dartmouth, MA, USA

Apr 082015

Altima 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to the dealer for an unrelated repair and discovered that there was rust present on the driver and passenger floor panels. The vehicle was taken then to the dealer and diagnosed with severe rust. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000. Updated 7/21/15 the consumer stated the dealer repaired the vehicle, at not charge. Updated 08/04/15

- Dartmouth, MA, USA

Apr 032015

Altima 4-cyl

After hearing of other Altima owners having problems with drivers side front floor boards rusting out premature. I looked at the floor boards on my Altima only to find a large hole rusted through the drivers floor board making it unsafe to drive.

- Elizabeth, WV, USA

Apr 072015

Altima 4-cyl

I found out today at a routine oil change that I have significant rust damage to the floor board under my car. At this time it is my understanding that Nissan is doing nothing in regards to the many complaints of the same issue. It appears that the first layer has eroded away and the second layer is already rusted and peeling. It is unknown how long it will take to erode through the to the interior of the vehicle. I have two young children and no longer feel safe in this car.

- Carbon, IN, USA