Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2006 Nissan Altima has a trend of engine problems, both in our data & definitely in the NHTSA's complaint data as well.

Excessive oil consumption is the main problem reported by owners. Nissan did a recall back in 2006 for oil consumption due to bad piston rings, but many owners report to us that the recall didn't fix the problem.

The dealer only had to check the oil consumption rate. Typically 1 qt per 1,000 miles is "acceptable" per OEM standards ... that's a lot of oil!

2006 Nissan Altima body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Altima:

2006 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 7 of 8)

Oct 012013

Driver and passenger front floor boards are rotted. Car is in excellent condition and has had all required maintenance completed since purchased new. Nissan North America Consumer Affairs refused to repair stating the car is out of warranty. Failure is due to manufacturing defect, improper rust protection of sheet metal, and water drainage issues.

- Malden, MA, USA

Sep 132013

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that excessive rust was building up on the frame of the vehicle. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer for a diagnostic test. The dealer stated that the under body experienced too much moisture and as a result, the entire under body needed to be replaced. The contact called the manufacturer regarding the rust issue and was advised that because the vehicle was out of warranty there was nothing they could do to assist. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 73,700.

- Naperville, IL, USA

May 292013

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while having routine maintenance performed, the technician notified him that the floor boards were completely corroded. As a result, the floorboards needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 57,000 and the current mileage was 60,000.

- Scarborough, ME, USA

Sep 102013

Altima 4-cyl

Took my car for its yearly state inspection and it was rejected due to the fact that the floor had rusted through and now needs to go to a body shop to have the drivers floor replaced.

- Wyomssing, PA, USA

Aug 202013

Altima 4-cyl

My 2006 Altima has been meticulously maintained, serviced and driven with no issues until recently while repairing a leaking radiator hose, I noticed that both the front passenger and drivers floor had a rusted thru hole in the same location, right where the feet would rest. No other part of the floor pan or undercarriage has any rust. I brought car to a body shop and as told this is a common problem with Altima in this year range. From what I have found in my research, Nissan is not addressing this issue.

- Bristol, RI, USA

Aug 052013

Altima 4-cyl

Inspection on August 5, 2013 revealed rusted holes in 2006 Nissan Altima driver and passenger side floor boards. This is extremely unacceptable for a 7 year old vehicle. I have been a Nissan brand family since 1989 and have taken extra maintenance measures to get my vehicles past 200,000. After researching the web, many forums show Nissan is refusing to address this major common problem. I will consider repairing my vehicle and trading in to another manufacturer.

- Berwick, PA, USA

Jul 252013

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the passenger's side floor board was corroded. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 52,000.

- Maineville, OH, USA

Jul 232013

The vehicle has been very well maintained and I noticed today that the floorboards on both sides in the front are rusted right through. By searching the internet, I see that this seems to be a recurring issue for other consumers.

- West Lebanon, NH, USA

Jul 222013

Altima 4-cyl

Found that the passenger side floorboard is rusting out on my wife's 2006 Nissan Altima. There was a musty smell buildup in her car. On inspection, found that the passenger side carpeting was damp. The floorboard had 2 large spots were it was starting to rust away. We have always kept the car washed and cleaned throughout our ownership of this vehicle. We are the original and sole owners of this vehicles.

- Durand, IL, USA

Jul 162013

This is about the 15th newer Altima that has no floorboard in it and I dont see how the cars will fare well in a crash. I decided to complain because of she sheer volume of people saying their cars are affected the same way. You have to do something about this !

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jun 182013

Altima 4-cyl

Took my Nissan Altima to the dealership for some work. The service dept. Called to tell me there was an issue with the floorboards. And the car would pass inspection. I called Nissan and they said there is nothing they can do. I bought the car three years ago as a certified Nissan with a 100000 mile warranty. The car had about 35000 miles on it when I bought it.

- Denver, PA, USA

May 042013

Altima 4-cyl

The car was at the dealership for a scheduled service. I was asked to go into the garage to look at the floor boards while the car was on the lift. The drivers side is so bad you can see the carpet. The passenger side is bad enough that they told me the car would not pass inspection without having both sides repaired by a body shop. I took the car to a body shop today and they were shocked at the excellent condition of the car vs the rotten floor boards. I've been doing plenty of internet searches today and found that this is a common problem.

- Easton, PA, USA

Mar 152013

Altima 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that there were holes caused by extreme corrosion throughout the front driver's side floorboard. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated that the floorboard would have to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000. Updated 07/10/13

- Belle Mead, NJ, USA

Apr 242013

Altima 4-cyl Diesel

Upon a routine oil change my mechanic noticed the huge amount of rust under my driver and passenger floorboards. The carpet inside can be seen. Upon researching this problem I found numerous complaints with this same problem where Nissan is doing nothing about it. This is a low mileage well maintained vehicle. Im shocked at the amount of rust in these areas. Normal wear and tear would not cause this. Nissan should be recalling these cars.

- Dallastown, PA, USA

Apr 192013

Discovered rust under the driver's side, sheet metal is rusted out. Will need replaced. Unacceptable for a garage kept and well maintained vehicle that is only 7 years old!

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Apr 042013

Floor boards rusted through under driver and from passenger seats (foot rest area) because of poor metal coating and poor drainage design. Rest of the car is perfectly fine. Car has very low mileage and no accidents. Having hole by the floor rest area is a safety hazard. When rust started car was still under warranty but dealer refused to check, now floor panels must be completely replaced. Reading other similar complains all over the web and personally knowing 3 other Altima owners with exact same issue, I am very surprised that no action take so far.

- Highland Heights, OH, USA

Apr 022013

Altima 4-cyl

The floor pan on my 2006 Nissan Altima 2.5 sl is rusting and corroded underneath the passenger seat and could present a safety issue. I contacted my local Nissan dealership and they were unable to assist me because the car is out of factory warranty. I find it hard to believe that a car 6+ years old would be rusting that bad especially given that the car has been kept in my garage and well maintained. I have searched on the internet and found numerous 2002-2006 Nissan Altima owners that have the same issue. I believe this is a defect and Nissan should issue a recall and repair these vehicles.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Mar 212013

Altima 4-cyl

I took my car in for routine maintenance and my mechanic noticed the floor board on the passenger side was rotted. The rotting is approximately 12' X 6' the front seat will eventually fall out of the car if it's not repaired soon and/or mold will start developing soon posing a serious health issue. Upon research of this issue, I found this is a common defect on Altima's from 2002-2006.

- Burton, OH, USA

Feb 112013

Altima 4-cyl

Floorboard rust on passenger/driver floor. Rust due to improper undercoating and faulty drainage from drain holes. Rust under car only these areas. Rest of under carriage is spotless. Debris on road could come through floor.

- Lancaster, PA, USA

Jan 292013

Altima 6-cyl

Driver side floor board rotted away due to rust. There are numerous complaints discussed on various websites that contain similar problems experienced with the 2006 Nissan Altima. Nissan has not recalled this vehicle.

- Portsmouth, NH, USA