CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Nissan Altima has a trend of engine problems, both in our data & definitely in the NHTSA's complaint data as well.

Excessive oil consumption is the main problem reported by owners. Nissan did a recall back in 2006 for oil consumption due to bad piston rings, but many owners report to us that the recall didn't fix the problem.

The dealer only had to check the oil consumption rate. Typically 1 qt per 1,000 miles is "acceptable" per OEM standards ... that's a lot of oil!

2006 Nissan Altima body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Altima:

2006 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 8)

Nov 212016

Altima

The floorboards are rusted out below the front driver and front passenger feet. My mechanic told me it won't be long before I'll have two large holes. Surface rust or wheel arch rust is one thing, but structural rotting for a car that's 10 years old is excessive.

- Vadnais Heights, MN, USA

Aug 012015

Altima

The floor boards under the front driver and passenger seats are prematurely rotting. Each side has a huge hole approximately 5 inches across and 8-12 inches long and the holes continues to enlarge. This particular complaint has been made by hundreds of times by others. It is a safety issue and Nissan should do something to repair the vehicles! date listed below is when I first discovered it after a mechanic brought it to my attention while the car was up on a lift.

- Yardville, NJ, USA

Oct 052016

Altima

During a recent oil change, my mechanic brought to my attention that the front seat floor boards were rusting on both the drivers and passenger sides. The rusting areas look almost identical. I researched this on the internet to find that this is a common problem with 2002-2006 Nissan Altima. There apparently have been a few class action lawsuits filed and several television reports on the matter. I have called Nissan; however, they claim it is not a defect. I discussed with a neighbor recently who also owns a Nissan Altima built in that timeframe and found out that he too recently discovered the rusting floor board issue. Nissan told me that I lived in a salt state and did not know how I maintained my vehicle; however, given the hundreds and probably thousands of complaints filed, it is nearly impossible for this issue to be due to owner negligence. My hope was that my 15 year old daughter would be able to have this car once she gets her license, but now I'm faced with spending thousands to either fix the issue (which may not be fixable given that rust areas grow) or to buy another vehicle. There is currently a hole through my floor board and it is a safety concern to me, especially if my daughter is behind the wheel.

- Wildwood, MO, USA

Oct 122016

Altima

Both floor panels rusted out. Major safety issue. Cost more to fix than what the car is worth. I still owe $4000 on the car and it's now worth nothing. Nissan doing nothing about it.

- Fairfield, OH, USA

Oct 192016

Altima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. While driving 20 mph, the contact heard a noise under his feet and noticed that the driver's side floor board was rusted out. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The failure mileage was 110,000.

- Stoneham, MA, USA

May 012016

Altima

Front driver side floor rusted through, making a big hole approximately 9in wide by 22in long. Also engine shakes while starting vehicle and sitting in idle in both gear and neutral.

- Arnold, MO, USA

Sep 102010

Altima

Rusted floor board within 4 years of life of vehicle.

- Cumberland, RI, USA

Sep 032016

Altima

The floorboards have rusted right through to the outside. This should not happen with normal wear. We have just been alerted to this by the mechanic and it is so advanced he advises we don't use the car! repairing it is probably more than the car is worth!

- Chester, NJ, USA

Sep 092016

Altima

I have owned a 2006 Nissan Altima for the last 6 years that has 126,000 miles on it. During a recent inspection the mechanic found severe rusting and a significant hole in the driver's side floor pan; you could see the interior carpet from underneath the car. It looks like the floor has been eroding for quite some time. After searching for this issue online, I learned that this is a common problem with Nissan Altima from 2002 to 2006 relating to a faulty design in a drain (those were a Nissan reps own words). I¿M frustrated that there were no recalls or communications regarding this known issue. I¿D hope that Nissan can be compelled to be transparent and forthcoming with known issues which may be a risk to customers¿ safety.

- Loveland, OH, USA

Sep 102016

Altima

It seems like this is a widespread problem with older Altima. Apparently the driver and passenger side forms a rust problem which can cause one to feel unsafe driving the car. The image I attached shows the floorboard not only rusting but coming off, and I can push on the bottom of the carpet from the bottom of my car. Nissan knew of this problem since 2008 and has not offered any obvious statements nor recalls. This is potentially dangerous and is an expensive repair (for both side floorboard replacement, it can cost 3000)

- Maywood, NJ, USA

Aug 222016

Altima

Excessive rusting of the floorboards. A gaping hole is in the floor going through to the outside of the car. This is frustrating because this car has been garage kept at home and at work.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Aug 292016

Altima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the vehicle failed inspection due to severe frame corrosion. The independent technician diagnosed that the floorboard needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 101,980.

- York, PA, USA

Aug 202016

Altima

Floorboard rusting/ driver side floorboard completely rusted out hole hole approximate size 24 inch width X 36 inch length

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Aug 012016

Altima

Floor board has rusted out on the front passenger side.

- Lacrosse, WI, USA

Aug 092016

Altima

I looked under my car this evening and found a large rusted out hole in the driver's side floorboard. The passenger side floorboard also seems to be rusting from the inside out.

- York, PA, USA

Dec 082015

Altima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that there was premature corrosion on the floorboards across the front driver and passenger sides of the vehicle. Due to the corrosion, holes could be seen through the floorboards. The failure occurred without warning. The dealer and mechanic confirmed that the vehicle needed to be repaired using a patch kit. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 120,000. Updated 10/07/16

- Kings Park, NY, USA

Jul 152014

Altima

Floor pans on both sides of the car are completely rusted out. I can push my hand trough the bottom of the car and move the carpet inside. I know this is a known problem. Just adding my car to the list.

- Bellville, OH, USA

Jan 022014

Altima

My floor boards are rusting out.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jun 072016

Altima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. While changing the tires on the vehicle, the contact noticed that the front driver side and front passenger side floor boards were severely corroded. The contact stated that the corrosion was also apparent underneath the vehicle. The vehicle was not taken to be diagnosed or inspected. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Upper Marlboro, MD, USA

Jun 022016

Altima

Floorboard is rusted through. Noticed soft spot in floor on drivers side of vehicle. Looked underneath and saw a rusted hole approximately 8" X 16" in size on the drivers side floorboard, and signs of rust starting on the passenger side floorboard too. I do not expect this of a nine year old vehicle, and suspect that this has been an issue for a while. I contacted Nissan support, I was advised to take it to a Nissan dealer and have them look at it. The dealer estimated the cost of repair to be around $2150. I received a follow up call from Nissan and they are not willing to cover the cost of repair.

- Imperial, MO, USA