Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2006 Nissan Altima has a trend of engine problems, both in our data & definitely in the NHTSA's complaint data as well.

Excessive oil consumption is the main problem reported by owners. Nissan did a recall back in 2006 for oil consumption due to bad piston rings, but many owners report to us that the recall didn't fix the problem.

The dealer only had to check the oil consumption rate. Typically 1 qt per 1,000 miles is "acceptable" per OEM standards ... that's a lot of oil!

2006 Nissan Altima brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Altima:

2006 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Sep 212016

My 2006 Nissan Altima's VIN number is not eligible for recall announced in 2007 that deals with the crankshaft position sensor being overheated, which causes the car to cut off when traveling at low speeds or when stopped at stoplights or stop signs. I first experienced this problem in the beginning of August and it has continued ever since. I experience this problem daily with my car and it has caused me to almost get into accidents multiple times, but for some reason the VIN number on my car isn't eligible for the recall that fixed the problem. When I am driving and stopped at a stop sign or stoplight immediately my cars engine temperature gauge drops below cold, then the car begins to rattle, then after a few seconds the car will cut off. It also happens when I travel at low speeds, such as 10mph, which has caused to almost get into accidents a multitude of times. The problem occurs on any road as long as I'm stopped or going below 10mph. The problem occurs everyday now and at every stop I make and it is very dangerous. Since Nissan knows of this issue in cars of the same year and model, I would like my VIN number to be included in the list of those that can participate in the recall. I have had many mechanics look at the car but none of them know how to fix it.

- Apex, NC, USA

Aug 062016

Purchased this car used from a dealership 3 weeks ago. Within 1 week the car stalled while driving. Started it back up with no problems. Took car on a 750 mi. Road trip and while driving 75mph on cruise control the car bucked. After reaching our destination and turning the car off we had trouble restarting it. When it finally started the service engine soon light came on. Took it to a mechanic and codes came up for the cam and crank shaft sensors. Replaced these sensors and cleared codes. Drove car away and within 5miles the check engine light came on again and again excessive cranking when trying to start the car. Brought it back to mechanic and the brand new cam sensor that was replaced less than 24hrs before tested out bad. Replaced sensor again and cleared code and code came up for high speed input sensor along with the same codes for cam shaft and crank shaft sensors. Again trouble starting vehicle. Drove car 750mi. Back home without turning the car off for fear of not being able to start again. Dealing with a Nissan dealership to try and get this fixed. This issue was under recall before. The bucking of the car while driving at 75mph was terrifying and seriously dangerous!

- Cary, IL, USA

Jul 132016

"taking recall"I got a 2006 Nissan Altima when I look under the cover I saw the connectors that goes to spark plug melted by over heat (small fire)my engine control module service engine light came on it read sensor one time crankshaft next time up and down stream sensor lot of different readings which is not safe for road which may lead to accident.

- Greenville, NC, USA

Apr 012015

My car was previously serviced for a campaign posted on your website, but the problem was not fixed. I should be entitled to have this problem re worked and fixed. The problem is that the car stalls out without warning, creating a dangerous situation. It stalls out while driving and while idle.

- Kyle, TX, USA

May 142016

Dear sir/madam, I would like to take a moment and notify the problem that I have experienced recently with my 2006 Nissan Altima 2.5L engine. I was waiting on the signal to turn left when my car first shut off on me without any warning or signs. I turned off my ignition and tried to start my car, it started and I was able to drive home. Next morning, I left my home for grocery and I was driving on the side street and my car shut off on me again, but this time my car was moving on a two way street and luckily no car was behind me. Also, all lights turned on this time in my dashboard and the service engine soon light stayed on. I turned off the ignition switch and turned it back on, I got paniced but this time my car started after multiple attempts. I was able to drive to the grocery store to do my groceries and when I was ready to leave after an hour from the store, my car did not want to start. Now, I became more concerned and finally when my car started, I immediately took it to nearest oreilly's on my way home to get it checked. They tested my battery, alternator and starter and told me that all of them were working fine but the computer is reading the code P0340 which represents the camshaft censor in the vehicle. After getting my vehicle tested and receiving the results, on my way home it tuned off on me twice again at the signals. After doing my research I noticed that Nissan had a recall for potential defective camshaft censors on 653,910 units under NHTSA campaign number: 07V-527. I called the Nissan 1-800-647-7261 number and they told me that my car does not qualify for a free remedy even though the symptoms falls under the same equipment/part recall. I would like to say that I am unable to drive my car since then. Please consider my complaint regarding this serious concern and advise a solution to this problem at your earliest convenience. Tks!

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 192014

Altima 4-cyl

Engine stalls at some times, car shut off while waiting at a stop light. It just dies right in the middle of traffic. I get turn the engine off and start it again, had several problems cranking. Checked for diagnosis codes but did not get any faulty codes. I try to speak with Nissan about it, its always the same thing...ECM relay campaign had been reprogrammed and that's all we can do also engine was burning excessive oil and felt hard drive on this vehicle.

- Wallingford, CT, USA

Dec 032012

Altima 4-cyl

I had a recall on my 2006 Nissan Altima 2.5L & I took it to the dealer in 2010 because the car engine will shut off when driven. It occurred multiple times & several times it occurred on a highway going at 60 miles per hours. I took it in to the dealer & the changed the part because of the recall. After battling for month to get my money back form the dealer the problem is occurring again. In 2012. I tried to trade it in but they under valued my car because of the recall history at $2,500. I need help & Nissan is refusing to pay full trade value on a recall. All I want is the problem fix permanently instead of having this ongoing problems. Nissan is not taking my concern seriously & I am getting rob on a problem that is not my fault.

- Oakland Park, FL, USA

Feb 272012

Altima 4-cyl

Crankshaft position sensor signal.

- Huber Heights, OH, USA

Sep 032010

App sensor failure. My car is 2006 Nissan Altima 2.5sl with 48K miles. I just got the engine oil and serpentine changed Thursday morning. Then Friday afternoon I was on freeway and suddenly the gas pedal (acceleration pedal) was locked and could not be pressed down. The car could not keep up the speed. The light "engine service soonż was also on. Fortunately I was close to the exit and left freeway with emergency light. Then I went to autozone for error code reading. The error code is app sensor. This is dangerous on freeway since you cannot keep up the speed and could be hit be the rear vehicles.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Jul 012010

I purchased a 2006 Nissan Altima (brand new) 2 months after I purchased it, a recall required a "new" engine be installed. Since then it has been in and out of the shop for recalls. My problem now is the check engine light is on, and my car shut off on me in the middle of the road. I popped into auto zone to check it out and it is the crankshaft sensor. There is a recall for this on the 2006 Altima's but mine is not included. So I am supposed to pay $397 to have this fixed! I don't think so. I feel I was sold a lemon. And I should not have to pay for this repair!! I can not drive my car because it shuts of or almost shuts off at different speeds ranging from 45 to 60. Nissan should recall all 2006 Nissan Altima's for this problem!

- Mount Pleasant , SC, USA

Jun 132009

2006 2.5 L Altima stalling. Diagnosis is crankshaft position sensor issue and needs to be replaced and ECM reprogrammed. There is a recall for this issue. However, my VIN is not on the list of recalls. Diagnosis was performed by tischer Nissan in laurel md. I am told that this is not covered by standard vehicle warranty, drivetrain warranty, or by recall. Since this is exactly the same issue that other 2006 Nissan Altima's are experiencing. This is a safety issue and could have caused an accident if I had been in traffic when my vehicle stalled.

- Bowie, MD, USA

Mar 212008

Altima 4-cyl

March 3, 2008 - 2006 Nissan Altima 2.5L - not starting; taken into Nissan and the ECM was reprogrammed. March 21, 2008 back at Nissan for similar problem - Nissan dealership cannot find problem. Received recall notice that the engine can stop running while driving on March 21st...after twice having the car at the dealership.

- Mineral, VA, USA