Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2006 Nissan Altima has a trend of engine problems, both in our data & definitely in the NHTSA's complaint data as well.

Excessive oil consumption is the main problem reported by owners. Nissan did a recall back in 2006 for oil consumption due to bad piston rings, but many owners report to us that the recall didn't fix the problem.

The dealer only had to check the oil consumption rate. Typically 1 qt per 1,000 miles is "acceptable" per OEM standards ... that's a lot of oil!

2006 Nissan Altima brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Altima:

2006 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Jun 022015

My entire drivers side and passneger side floor board has rotted out completely. Im talking I can put my foot through it. I head all of it fall out driving down the I-90. This car is rust free from Florida. This is such bs and is unsafe to drive.

- Dunkirk, NY, USA

Mar 222014

I have owned the car for almost 6 years. My boyfriend does the servicing - oil changes, brakes, fluid/belt changes, etc. On a regular, documented basis. When car is lifted, I always do a check underneath. Car had been fine. Oil changed in October 2014, all good. New tires put on by good year in December 2014, all good - just let me know to have back brakes changed soon. March 22, my boyfriend was changing oil and putting new pads/shoes on car. While lifted, I did my check and saw rust hanging underneath on driver's side. After taking off the rust and getting to solid metal, found a approx 5X5in size hole in my floorboard. Rest of base of car looks perfect, so far. Car should not be rusting like this.

- Joppa, MD, USA

Jan 132015

The car was parked in a driveway for 6 hours in 10 degree weather. It was required to move the car to allow another vehicle to leave when the Nissan was driven forward to re-park the vehicle and the brakes were applied the peddle was rock hard and no brakes were available causing a collision with a garage door. The dealership diagnosed the problem as a vacuum valve, integral with a vacuum hose. The dealer tested the car at 7:30am on 1/16/2012 when the car had been sitting for over 24 hours in 23 degree weather, the brake pedal was hard (however not rock solid) once the pedal was pumped twice the brakes worked accordingly. The theory was the valve was not functioning in the cold weather. The dealer tested the theory by removing the faulty part and placing it in the cold weather for approximately 30 minutes and reinstalled part back into the car and created a similar scenario where the brake pedal was hard with limited brakes (temperature was 22 degrees). The part has been replaced and appears to have solved the issue. I am disappointed that the Nissan Altima can potentially have brakes in extreme cold weather as I live in a cold climate. - see more at: this brakes issue should had been recalled.

- Wellesley, MA, USA

Jun 092007

Altima 4-cyl

The brakes on my vehicle go out about once a year with no warning. All of the sudden they just start grinding. I have had to replace my brakes about 10 many times since owning this vehicle.

- Otsego, MN, USA

Jan 292014

Brakes do not engage when car has been left in cold, usually below freezing. Brakes usually engage after I hit the pedal once, twice hard. Dealership stated master cylinder problem and replaced; now less than two weeks later same thing is occurring however not as cold and not as frequent as during the major cold spell in area. Dealership has it again overnight to see if they can replicate issues. Spent major bucks on master cylinder and am afraid to trust my car's brakes, plus perhaps having to spend more money on a different issue. Have seen others respond to this issue but find no major recalls; only a Nissan service campaign at some point to check brake pads and master cylinder for leakage. I have no idea if dealership ever checked my pads/master cylinder, been going to same location for almost 7 years.

- Chambersburg, PA, USA

Mar 142008

Altima 4-cyl

I had the vehicle reviewed on April 23, 2013 with your elhart Michigan Nissan service department. I can't tell you how disappointed I am. I was told that the rear brakes pins and slides had no lubrication in them when my wife personally watched the mechanic lubricate them when the most recent pads were installed 2 weeks ago. One of the pins is an aftermarket because the existing one was frozen at the servicing and needed to be replaced. I questioned the Nissan shop manager who called me regarding the recommendation of the owners manual for maintenance of this particular area of the vehicle and he indicated that it is not mentioned. I am now in my words "stuck" with a safety part of my car which I must watch religiously and I can expect to spend $1000's of dollars in parts and maintenance. This car did not yet have 60,000 miles on it and has already gone through all 4 rotors 2 sets of front pads and 4 sets of rear pads. My Ford vehicle has 240,000 miles and is on its 3rd set of pads and second set of front rotors. I cannot believe that a prestigious brand of Nissan is expecting their customers to swallow this. Yes, I am also one of those customers where you replaced my engine at 11,000 miles because of excessive engine oil usage. I know that design and manufacturing mistakes occur, its how the manufacturer responds to the mistakes that determine the difference in obtaining customer loyalty. I will be contacting the cnn consumer site to report this as the internet is full of similar complaints where the owners are being told that it is their fault.

- Covert, MI, USA