2.1

hardy worth mentioning

2006 Nissan Altima engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Altima:

2006 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 032010

Altima

On Sept 3rd 2010 (labor day weekend), I drove on I-17 (AZ) at about 70 mph for about half an hour. The car suddenly lost the acceleration. No matter how hard I pressed the gas pedal, there is no acceleration. The engine service light was on and the car quicly decelerate. I had to turn on emergency light and moved out. Then I went to autozone and had the code read. P2138, error with pedal position sensor and throttle position sensor. I had to drive locally to send the car to the power Nissan at tempe (dealer) for repair. They could not find problems but turned off the engine light and returned the car to me. On July 4th 2013 (independence day), I drove on highway 87 at about 70 mph for 1 hour and the same problem occured. The car suddenly lost acceleration. Engine service light was on. I had to drive back at no more than 40mph or the deceleration occured at higher speed. I went to autozone again for code reading. Same code P2138. Then I sent the car to sears. Sears replaced gas pedal sensor and throttle body. On September 1st 2013 (labor day weekend), I drove on highway 101 at 70mph for 1 hour and the same problem occured. The car suddenly lost acceleration. Engine service light was on. Sears got the same error code P2138. Sears re-trained the electronic sensor program. On September 10th 2013, I sent the car for emission test. During the test when technician press gas pedal, engine service light was on. Sears got the same error code P2138. Sears asked me to send the car to Nissan dealer. Nissan dealer (the same dealer but name changed to autonation Nissan at tempe) got the same code P2138. Nissan dealer re-trained the electronic sensor program and returned the car to me on September 12th 2013. On September 13th 2013, I tried the car on highway. Once it reached 70mph, the problem occurred for the 5th time. The car lost acceleration and engine service light was on.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Oct 082013

Altima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the engine was consuming an extreme amount of engine oil due to the failure of the pistons. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 06V223000 (engine and engine cooling) and stated that his vehicle was not included. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 138,000.

- Villa Rica, GA, USA

Jun 202013

Altima

I had coolant service and after that I started experiencing low levels of coolant which led to overheating of car. I kept getting the car check to find out if there were leaks. I checked recall notices and then was told I needed sensors. I called Nissan in September and was told out of the 653K cars mine was not affected! I find that hard to believe. I then had sensors replaced (crankshaft and speed). Now I'm being told head gasket blown and engine needs replacement. Th recall from Nissan says there we engine cooling problems.

- Pittsburg, CA, USA

Oct 122013

Altima

While at a red light, the power on my 2006 Nissan Altima shut off without warning. After trying to turn over the ignition several times, the vehicle finally started. I drove it to advance auto where they ran a diagnostic and advised that there were two error codes: P0725 & P0335 (engine speed sensor circuit malfunction & crank shaft position sensor circuit malfunction). Upon calling my mechanic, he advised that this has been a typical problem for this model and that he believed there was a recall. I called and have been advised by Nissan that there was a recall but my VIN wasn't part of the recall. However, Nissan was unable to provide which vehicles were actually part of the recall! there are many unresolved complaints regarding this issue, and I believe that this is a seriously dangerous hazard for drivers. What if the vehicle stopped on an interstate highway while driving at 65 mph? I would like verifiable information on what vehicles this recall covered, as Nissan seems to be deflecting some of their responsibility.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Oct 022013

Altima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the vehicle stalled as the engine light illuminated. The vehicle was restarted and taken to the dealer for inspection. The dealer stated that the cam shaft and crank sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 83,000. The VIN was not available.

- Staton Island, NY, USA

Oct 232012

Altima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled while driving at various speeds. The contact also experienced difficulty restarting the vehicle occasionally. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the contact was informed that the electronic control module (ECM) and crank shaft position circuit needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and the contact was informed that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id numbers: 07V527000 (engine and engine cooling) or 06V223000 (engine and engine cooling). The approximate failure mileage was 92,994.

- Arlington , TX, USA

Aug 132013

Altima

Vehicle shut off in traffic. Was able to start back up and went to park. Hood of vehicle was extremely hot. Multiple times since then I have had issues starting car after having driven it. Car cranks fine in the morning. I have had to leave hood open when I get home to allow engine to cool. Car will start fine again after an hour or two but sometimes taking up to 5 hours. I can feel when the car is about ready to give out as it doesn't accelerate when gas is pushed until you get around 45mph. I have even felt car pull/jerk forward when in stop and go traffic when I let up brake a little bit. I have to keep a good distance from cars ahead of me to ensure I wont hit anyone if it pulls forward

- Panama City, FL, USA

Aug 242013

Altima

On our return trip home from vacation we stopped for gas turning the engine off. When we tried to restart after filling up it was very difficult and about a mile later the check engine light came on. The light eventually went off after the battery was disconnected. A few days later while driving at 65 mph the car seemed to decelerate then jolt forward. The next day after driving for an hour, then turned off, difficult to start again and check engine light came on again. When checked with a code reader the codes came up with defects to the cam and crank shaft sensors. We checked on line and found this to be a not uncommon problem for our model and there was a VIN specific recall. We called the dealer we purchased the car from who then directed us to call Nissan usa. They told us even though the problem was similar (the same) as the recall, our car was not part of the recall, sorry. Cost of the repair was $628.50!!!! currently checking our options for some sort of recourse to recoup some of the repair cost.

- Jackson, NJ, USA

Aug 232013

Altima 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that vehicle consumed oil at an alarming rate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number 06V223000 (engine and engine cooling). The failure mileage was 76,000. Updated 09/30/13 the consumer was informed the vehicle had an oil consumption problem. Updated 10/22/13

- Macungie, PA, USA

Aug 092013

Altima

The vehicle listed above went in for a oil change three weeks prior to the incident date listed above. Two weeks after the oil change the oil indicator began to flash, calling the mechanic instructed for the car to be brought in for inspection. The mechanic noticed that a excessive amount of oil was consumed, the mechanic further notice that there was no leak under or around the vehicle to lose oil, coming to the conclusion that the engine had consumed all of the oil. He proceeded to put more oil in the car. A week later I noticed that the engine began to knock, that the engine had been damaged. I proceeded to look to see if there was any recalls on the vehicle listed above. I found on the website www.safer car.gov had listed the exact thing that happen to the vehicle listed above. The recall: Certain vehicles equipped with 2.5L engines may experience excessive engine oil consumption as a result of improper performance of the piston rings. If the oil is not maintained at least at the minimum level, engine damage can occur and in extreme cases result in an engine fire this is the very thin that happen to the vehicle listed above and now the engine has ceased. I contacted Nissan main customer service and was told the only open recall on the vehicle listed above have a reprogram electronic control module (ECM).I'm looking for help because I feel that that the car listed above should be repaired by Nissan for damage to the engine.

- Queens Village, NY, USA

Jul 172013

Altima

Handling of the Nissan Altima crank shaft sensor recall is completely unacceptable. No notice of the recall was ever sent, which meant we found out the hard way: When the car stalled out in the middle of a major highway, without warning (exactly as described in the recall that wasn't sent) I only found the recall after a local non-Nissan mechanic told me about it, and then when I brought it into the dealer, they didn't understand the nature of the recall. Please help!

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jun 012012

Altima 4-cyl

Problem began with engine jerking at high speeds. Then check engine light came on. Codes indicated crank shaft sensor and cam shaft sensors. Replaced both. Within 6 months problem started all over again with the same codes and this time the car started losing power while driving at low speeds and sometimes doesn't start. Also still having the engine jerking at high speeds. Vehicle just doesn't seem to have much power at all. Even though there has been a recall for these very things, apparently our VIN # indicates our car is not part of the recall even though it was manufactured during the dates specified on the recall letter. Our 16 year old son drives this vehicle and I am now very scared to let him drive it. We are having to pay for these repairs out of pocket. Nissan better be very thankful that nothing tragic has occurred due to this. If it had, a major lawsuit would be in order.

- Wimberley, TX, USA

Jun 012013

Altima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the vehicle hesitated, jerked and stalled sporadically while driving at any speed. The failure was experienced numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and a diagnostic was performed, which located the failure at the speed sensor and the crank shaft position sensor. The manufacturer advised that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number 07V52700 (engine and engine cooling). The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 104,000 and the approximate current mileage was 107,000.

- Baltimore , MD, USA

Apr 012013

Altima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the engine oil was consuming prematurely. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer to have a diagnostic performed. The manufacturer advised that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number 06V223000 (engine and engine cooling). The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 63,000 and the current mileage was 64,000.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

May 142013

Altima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. After approximately one minute the vehicle was restarted and operated as designed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis and the contact was advised that the crankshaft position sensor would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 58,000.

- Medford, MA, USA

May 132013

Altima 4-cyl

I was driving at approx 25 mph when all of a sudden the engine cutoff with no warning. Was able to coast the car to the side of the road, restart, and drove to dealership immediately. Dealership diagnosis error code P0335 camshaft and crankshaft sensor failures and needed to be replaced for $570 (plus the $110 diagnosis fee). A recall exists for same make and model, but car VIN is excluded. This problem seems to be very common and widespread after doing some online research. The dealership's parts manager also stated this was a very common problem. I find it very disturbing that Nissan would knowingly risk passenger safety by not recalling and covering the cost of repair for a well maintained car that is having the same issue as others in the same make and model year.

- Medford, MA, USA

May 112013

Altima 4-cyl

I was driving on the freeway in Texas going 70 miles an hour on cruise control then two unexpected jerks in the engine happened and loss of speed and the service engine soon light came on.

- San Marcos , TX, USA

Apr 252013

Altima 4-cyl

Check engine light came on about 2 days prior to incident. Went to a friends house, while slowing down for a speed bump car completely shut off. After leaving house car acceleration was very hesitate, took it to advanced auto to get the codes read on the car and it came back P0345 camshaft position sensor malfunction and P0430 catalytic converter failure and cylinder 3 misfire. So I called Nissan because I went online reading about recalls on the 2006 Nissan Altima engines but they told me that mines was not one of them. Changed both camshaft sensors and cylinder 3 coil. And car still acting like it doesn't want to start and stall. Took it to my mechanic and the way it looks I might have a head gasket blown. Crazy because researching on the internet, I see a lot of Altima owners are having the same problem.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jan 242013

Altima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the vehicle would stall without warning when at a complete stop or when driving at very low speeds. The check engine warning light was constantly illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who advised the contact that the crankshaft position failed and needed to be replaced. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 07V527000: (engine and engine cooling) but was advised by the manufacturer that the VIN was not included and offered no further assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 137,700.

- Fishers, IN, USA

Feb 252013

Altima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while parked, the engine warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis. The mechanic stated that the crank shaft position sensor and the engine speed sensor would have to be replaced. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 06V223000 (engine and engine cooling) but was advised by the manufacturer that the VIN was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 78,000.

- Eden Prairie, MN, USA