CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Nissan Altima has a trend of engine problems, both in our data & definitely in the NHTSA's complaint data as well.

Excessive oil consumption is the main problem reported by owners. Nissan did a recall back in 2006 for oil consumption due to bad piston rings, but many owners report to us that the recall didn't fix the problem.

The dealer only had to check the oil consumption rate. Typically 1 qt per 1,000 miles is "acceptable" per OEM standards ... that's a lot of oil!

2006 Nissan Altima engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Altima:

2006 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 3 of 7)

Feb 132011

Altima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. The contact stated the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and was told the electronic control module had failed. The contact spoke with the manufacturer and was told their vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 07V527000 (engine and engine cooling). The failure mileage was 80,000 and the current mileage was 99,000.

- Helena, MT, USA

Mar 152011

Altima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. While the contact was driving approximately 60 mph, the engine stalled. In addition, the check engine warning light and oil gauge indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer two different times for the similar failures. The engine head gasket was replaced and a diagnostic test was performed which detected a failure code within the catalytic converter. The failure recurred after the repair and the vehicle was taken back to the dealer where they advised that the engine would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 123,000.

- Atioch, TN, USA

Oct 012010

Altima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. The contact was driving approximately 10 mph when the vehicle stalled with the illumination of the check engine warning light. The failure recurred three different times intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed the failure as the crank shaft position sensor. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 07V527000 (engine and engine cooling) but the VIN was not included. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Nov 012010

Altima 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. The contact noticed that the tail pipe was emitting excessive smoke. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that sludge was present because of improper vehicle maintenance. The manufacturer agreed with the local dealer and offered no additional assistance. No repairs were performed due to the cost. The urrent mileage was 47,000 and the failure mileage was 46,000. Updated 04/25/11 updated 1/18/2012

- Laredo, TX, USA

Oct 012010

Altima

Since October 2010, I have had to get oil changes at least 1000 miles sooner (lately it's been more) than the 3000 mile mark. The mechanics have not found an external leak, and I have been told by two mechanics that my engine has to be consuming the oil since it is not leaking. I called Nissan (and a few dealers), and they all said that my VIN did not qualify for a recall. My car has the same issue as the others that were recalled, so is Nissan required to check it or fix it?

- Starkville, MS, USA

Mar 142009

Altima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the engine was consuming a significant amount of oil within a short period of time and required one quart of oil dispensed every week. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where they informed the contact that the engine rod failed due to low oil levels. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 06V223000 (engine and engine cooling) but was advised that his vehicle could not be serviced under the recall due to the extremely high mileage of the vehicle. The failure persisted until the engine became inoperable. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure was approximately 130,000.

- Escondieo, CA, USA

Dec 272010

Altima 4-cyl

My car has been diagnosed with a faulty crank and cam sensors, catalytic converter as well. Today I took car into shop because it has been burning excessive amounts of oil. I have to put as much as 4 quarts of oil into car a week. I called Nissan and they indicate that their are recalls for this problem but my car is not one of the vins recalled.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Jan 032011

Altima 4-cyl

2006 Nissan Altima. Consumer writes to appeal to have her vehicle serviced at Nissan's expense to repair the crankshaft sensor problem under the recall. The consumer stated the crankshaft position sensor problem caused the engine light to illuminate. The dealer informed the consumer the engine speed input circuit sensor also needed to be replaced.

- Missouri City, TX, USA

Jun 252010

Altima 4-cyl

2006 Nissan Altima, bought new, consumes oil with no visible leaks. Oil must be added every week to keep adequate levels in engine. Dealership says the only way to fix the problem is to put in a new engine when this one finally fails. This is not an acceptable answer to this problem.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Sep 072010

Altima

My car stalled without any warning. Issue covered under 07V527000. Dealer reprogrammed ECM, however issue is that the crankshaft position sensor overheated, which is the actual defect, which manufacturer should pay to replace. Dealer replaced the sensor at a cost of $370 to me.

- Missouri City, TX, USA

Sep 012010

Altima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. While driving approximately 20 mph the vehicle stalled and the service engine light began illuminating. The vehicle was pulled over and upon restart began driving as normal but the service engine light continued to illuminate. The failure recurred and the vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where he was told that there was a recall on his vehicle. The vehicle was then taken to an authorized dealer where he was informed that his vehicle was not included in the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 07V527000, engine and engine cooling. The vehicle was being repaired. The failure and current mileages were 47,429.

- Nutley, NJ, USA

Jul 072010

Altima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. While driving at approximately 70 mph the vehicle momentarily lost power before driving as normal. A service engine soon light began to illuminate on the dashboard. The failure began to recur intermittently and the vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where he was informed of a recall for this failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified and he was informed his vehicle was not included in the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 07V527000, engine and engine cooling. The failure mileage was 84,000 and the current mileage was 87,000.

- Wellington, FL, USA

Aug 302010

Altima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while driving 15 mph during very warm weather the vehicle shut off without warning. The failure could potentially cause a crash while entering a busy intersection. The contact noticed a recall 07V527000 regarding the engine and engine cooling and took the vehicle to the dealer. The dealer stated that they could not perform a recall repair due to the check engine light being on in the vehicle. In order for the recall to be repaired the check engine light needed to be turned off. The contact called the manufacturer regarding the recall and stated that the VIN was not included in the recall. The contact stated that the manufacturer should reissue the recall and include additional vehicles since this was a known safety issue for his year make and model vehicle. The failure mileage was 65,000.

- Highwood, IL, USA

Aug 062010

Altima 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the service engine warning light consistently remained illuminated. The dealer inspected the vehicle and advised that the crankshaft sensor would need replacing. Although there was a recall for the failure under NHTSA campaign id number: 07V527000 (engine and engine cooling) the contact's VIN was not included. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 85,000 and the current mileage was 86,325. Updated 12/08/10 updated 12/13/10

- Carmel, NY, USA

Jul 302010

Altima

Heard loud rattling in front end of my Nissan Altima (2006). Took it to Nissan. Had to have upper motor mount replaced. Not covered by Nissan. Cost was $395 to replace.

- Bloomingdale, IL, USA

Aug 012010

Altima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. The contact was driving approximately 40-45 mph when the engine stalled and then restarted independently. The vehicle exhibited no prior warning and was taken to an independent mechanic where the contact was informed that the cam and crank position sensors would need to be replaced. The failure occurred twice. The contact was able to locate a recall relative to the failure (NHTSA campaign id number 06V223000- engine and engine cooling) but was unable to confirm if his VIN was included. The failure mileage was approximately 30,000.

- Tamarac, FL, USA

Altima

I have a 2006 Nissan Altima, on 6/9/2010 the oil light came on and the service engine light came on. When I got home I checked my oil and there was no oil in my engine. I contacted Nissan dealership to tell them of the issue and contacted Consumer Affairs about it. I was told to bring the vehicle to the dealership to get check out. I purchase 2 quarts of oil on 6/9/2010 in which I still have the receipt for. I put 2 quarts of oil in my vehicle and took it to the dealership on 6/15/2010. I was told that they are running a oil consumption test on it because some of the 2006 Nissan Altima had a recall for a oil consumption problem due to faulty piston rings which I believe caused my vehicle to have a bad cat converter. I contacted the Consumer Affairs department to find out if my vehicle was in the recall and I was told no. I truly believe my vehicle is one of the recall vehicle because when I took the vehicle back on 7/7/2010 I was told that it needed a new engine and measured under 20 for the oil consumption test. I would like a investigation to be conducted because Nissan has mislead alot of consumers about their vehicles being in the recall but later after about 80,000 miles after the manufacturer warranty expires then the vehicle starts experience these oil consumption problems, service engine light problems. I was told on 7/7/2010 by the service manager that he will put a claim through to the extended service agreement department to provide me with the necessary repairs which is to give my vehicle a new engine due to the oil consumption problem and I was told that this supposed to be covered under my extended service agreement warranty free of charge. I am awaiting a decision. This is definitely a safety issue because my vehicle could stop in the middle of rush hour traffic and I can be killed instantly along with my family and others. All 2006 Nissan Altima's need to be recalled to be tested for this oil consumption problem due to faulty piston rings.

- Groveland, FL, USA

Jul 012010

Altima 4-cyl

2006 Nissan Altima SE - 4 cylinder engine, car jerks when running at 60 mph on cruise control - level terrain, looses power. Car exhibits hard starting, and check engine light comes on. Mechanic checks codes and says it is the crank sensor, Nissan checks codes and says it may be both cam and crank sensors. Car has 24,000 miles and has already had the ECM reprogrammed under and earlier recall. Car is currently at trophy Nissan dallas being repaired at my expense. These two sensors are a manufacturer defect as thousands have been replaced on this model year 2002-2006.

- Rockwall, TX, USA

Altima 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. While driving at 35 mph, the check engine warning light illuminated. The dealer advised that the catalytic converter would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 85,100 and the current mileage was 95,996. Updated 08/11/10. The consumer stated the check engine light illuminated. When she arrived home and she check the oil only to discover there was no oil in the vehicle. The consumer took the vehicle to the dealer. Upon inspection the consumer was advised a new engine was needed. Updated 08/17/10

- Groveland, FL, USA

Altima

I have a 2006 Nissan Altima that had been working fine up until yesterday. When I was driving to work yesterday, my car just stalled at a stoplight and then it was incredibly difficult to get it restarted. Thereafter, my car would stall at every stoplight and stop sign. The drivers that were behind me were clearly upset and frustrated and one driver almost rear ended me. I took my car to autozone so they could hook it up to their analysis computer and they stated that it was my crank shaft sensor. I am requesting that you look into this matter because a car that just stalls for no other reason than a faulty sensor is unacceptable. In addition, I did a web search and found that may people are having a problem with the same sensor.

- Medina, OH, USA