Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2006 Nissan Altima has a trend of engine problems, both in our data & definitely in the NHTSA's complaint data as well.

Excessive oil consumption is the main problem reported by owners. Nissan did a recall back in 2006 for oil consumption due to bad piston rings, but many owners report to us that the recall didn't fix the problem.

The dealer only had to check the oil consumption rate. Typically 1 qt per 1,000 miles is "acceptable" per OEM standards ... that's a lot of oil!

2006 Nissan Altima engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Altima:

2006 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 6 of 7)

Dec 102006

Altima 4-cyl

Problem with engine consuming too much oil. When vehicle was taken in for oil changes was informed by technician that oil consumption was normal. Received letter from Nissan usa motors stating there was a recall due to engine consuming too much oil and were currently looking at a solution to the problem. To ensure no further damage to engine owner was required maintain suggested oil levels. The car started making noise coming from the engine was told it was nothing to worry about. Last letter received by Nissan usa motor stated to take vehicle in to nearest dealership for a test that would determine if only ECM would need to be reset or maybe a possible engine replacement.

- Austin, TX, USA

Feb 072007

Altima 4-cyl

- the contact stated that there had been no failure to date with the 2006 Nissan Altima. The contact complained that there was an engine recall on the vehicle, and she thought it should not be. The vehicle was new, and the contact believed that there shouldn't be any failures with it so soon. The current mileage was 9025.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Feb 232007

Altima 4-cyl

- the contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. The contact received recall 06V223000, and she did not T feel safe driving the vehicle. The notice stated that the vehicle could possibly catch on fire. She didn't care what was fixed on the vehicle. The owner purchased the vehicle in March 2006, and was informed of the recall in April 2006. The dealer and the manufacturer stated that the vehicle was not affected by the notice due to the VIN. However, the contact received the recall notice on 2/23/07 the current mileage was 13,000. There had been no failure to date.

- Clinton , MD, USA

Jun 152006

Altima 4-cyl

I purchased a 2006 Nissan Altima in June of 2006 and I have been complaining about my engine making loud noises as well as the condition of the car when I received it. Since I have the car I have been having to repair a lot of things that shouldn't have to be done yet. Please help me in getting my car fixed.

- Liverpool, NY, USA

Jan 142007

Altima 4-cyl

- the contact changed the oil himself on the 2006 Nissan Altima. He first changed the oil at 500 miles, and at that time 4 1/2 quarts came out that is the amount of oil he put in. The contact S changed the oil again at 3750 only 3 quarts came out. He knew that he put 4 1/2 quarts in the first time. The contact took the vehicle to the Nissan dealer and explained what happened. The contact was told they would send the oil to their lab oratoryfor analysis. The contact received a letter, which stated that after their analysis, they found the oil consumption was normal. The contact did not believe this to be normal. Before he purchased the vehicle the dealer told him the engine had been replaced because of excessive oil consumption.

- Mapleshade, NJ, USA

Dec 282006

Altima 4-cyl

I received a letter asking me to bring my car for the engine recall on my '06 Nissan Altima. Unfortunately my vehicle was affected, if I didn't proceed with the recall request my vehicle could lead to an engine fire. My car was in the shop for less than 24hours, it's engine was replaced with a re-built engine. I do not know if old engine is available.

- Madera, CA, USA

Jan 252007

Altima 4-cyl Diesel

TL * - the contact took the vehicle to a dealer in coral springs, Florida for NHTSA recallcampaign id number: 06V223000 regarding the engine and engine cooling. The dealer was going to replace the engine with a new engine. The contact told the dealer that he wanted proof that it would be a new engine, and dealer urged him to call the manufacturer. The contact called the manufacturer, and the manufacturer stated that it will be a brand new engine. When contact asked for proof the customer service representative for the manufacturer stated that it wouldn't be a new engine, instead it would be a refurbished engine.

- Davie, FL, USA

Jan 222007

Altima 4-cyl

2006 Nissan Altima upset about recall notice** the consumer is upset that a vehicle that she has owned for no more than 2 months, is prone to catching on fire.

- San Bruno, CA, USA

Apr 172006

Altima 4WD 4-cyl

I purchased a 2006 Altima Nissan 2.5 special edition in Feb 2006. Within a 6 months time frame I have had 2 engine replacements. This still hasn't corrected the oil consumption problem nor the clicking sound. I have also been informed that the clicking and grinding sound may be attributed to bad tires. So I took it to another company that deals in tires and was informed my tires were in great condition. Then on Jan 22 I was told I needed a new steering wheel to help with the sound and vibrations. My Nissan sounds and rides like a truck. Nissan needs to just live up to the fact that some of the 2006 models were just not built correctly and compensate the consumers that are feeling the affects of buying a lemon.. why would they put their reputation in jeopardy. Do they not realize this could turn into a class action law suit. Several of my friends have had their cars bought back under the lemon law but I'm getting the run around from one of the Nissan reps. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that after replacing 2 engines in a 6 month period to know my car is a lemon.. Nissan has lost my respect due to the non caring nature they have represented.

- Mooresville, NC, USA

May 012006

Altima 4-cyl

- the contact stated that the 2006 Nissan Altima was excessively consuming oil, she has taken it at least fifteen times to the dealer. The dealer advised her to bring the vehicle in when it had no oil. The first time she took it to the dealer for repair she had received a recall letter from Nissan regarding the oil leak, but to her knowledge it was not repaired and the problem recurred. When the contact took the vehicle to the dealer they stated that there was no problem. She called North american Nissan, and they told her to send in her invoices so that they might help her, but the vehicle was still excessively consuming oil.

- San Bernadino, CA, USA

Mar 012006

Altima 4-cyl

- the contact stated that every time the brakes were applied they made a loud squealing noise. The contact took the vehicle to two dealerships in Virginia. And both stated that there wasn't anything wrong with the brakes. The contact was concerned for her safety because the brakes continued to make a loud squealing noise. Updated 4/8/08 the consumer stated there was a recall for the engine for this vehicle and consumer stated a fuel smell in the was present in the vehicle. Updated 04/08/08

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Aug 172006

Altima 4WD 6-cyl

- the contact learned that there is a safety recall on 2006 Nissan Altima and she has not received the safety recall. The contact said that there is black mud in the motor. The contact was told that if she keeps driving the car she will ruin the motor and that it would cost $1600. To repair the problem.

- Texas City, TX, USA

Dec 112006

- the contact called regarding campaign number 06V223000. The contact is not very happy that the dealership. The dealership will have to replace the engine on the vehicle and wants to know if it's normal procedure for the dealership to put in a new engine on a fairly new vehicle. Repair invoice is available if needed.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Nov 272006

I purchased a brand new 2006 Altima June 2006, I loved my car from the day it was purchased, until recently when my brakes started to make that annoying squeaking noise I thought too myself, wow how can this be, my car is only five months old. I thought to myself it must be the way I am stepping on the brake, but to my surprise the next afternoon I received in the mail recall information, I read it over and was disgusted, I just purchased the vehicle and I am being told my engine may need to be replaced and high oil consumption will occur and possibly a fire!! I was very upset I was to contact the dealer but this all occurred during the thanksgiving holiday, so I drove my sister Honda SUV for the holiday, my car sat without being driven for about four days. I was absolutely sick when my father asked to use my car when he attempted to start my car it would not start he tried several times before it finally started and when it did he placed the car in drive the car took off at a fast speed with him barely touching the gas pedal, an accident could have occured, all the lights lit up and smoke began to seep out of the back of vehicle. I immedialey called my service dapartment and they said its normal, I dont think so, maybe if my car was a 1996 instead of a 2006 he told me to bring it in and he will inspect everything including, the recalled parts. I am truly upset and disgusted with Nissan they sold me a piece of crap, they knew about the recall and did not inform me when I purchased the vehicle, who wants a new vehicle and have something replaced within a few months of purchasing a new car not me!! I could have purchased a used car. There is no repair that can be done to satisfy me I would like a replacement vehicle with no prior incidents or my money back.

- Edgewater Park, NJ, USA

Nov 242006

Altima 4-cyl

: the contact stated a NHTSA recall letter #06V223000, regarding the engine and engine cooling system was received. The dealer was contacted for an appointment, and informed that the repairs would take all day. The contact was refused a loaner vehicle by both the dealer and the manufacturer. The recall letter identified that there may be a fire hazard which the contact expressed was a safety concern to the family. The contact would like to have a new vehicle in return for the recalled vehicle.

- Lakewood, NJ, USA

Sep 282006

Altima 4-cyl

: the contact stated after finding information on the internet about a NHTSA recall, #06V223000 regarding engine and engine cooling, the oil level was checked. The dipstick read nearly empty. The manufacturer determined the vehicle was not included in the recall due to the VIN. The vehicle was not inspected by the dealership.

- Queen Creek, AZ, USA

Sep 212006

Purchased new 2006 Altima in April 2006. Car has about 3500 miles on it now. Checked oil level again the other day and it was barely on dip stick and what was there was black. Called Nissan, they were no help. They said to bring car in every 700 miles. That is totally unacceptable answer to a new car owner. The dealer was of no help either. I do not think new car owners should be stuck with lemons. I would really like to return car. Nissan has the opportunity right now of satisfying many unhappy customers or ruining their image forever in the mind of thousands. They need to help us.

- Park Ridge, IL, USA

Aug 012006

2006 Nissan Altima 2.5 special edition had oil leak from the seal in the motor. Brakes were squeaking. The dealer informed the consumer there was no problem with the brakes.

- Greenville, SC, USA

May 222006

Altima 4-cyl

Purchased a 2006 Nissan Altima on 04/04/06 with 267 miles on the car. We noticed a rattling noise from the engine, we took the car in to dealer at 2700 miles (05/22/06) & told them of the problem, while we were there we had them go ahead & change the oil. They changed the oil first, then they could not hear the noise (duh !) the service tech told me they could not find anything wrong, that only the hood bracket was slightly loose. I explained that the bracket was loose because I had looked under the hood trying to figure out where the noise was coming from. I insisted that there was some sort of problem. They said if you hear it again bring it back and we can drive the vehicle together. 3-4 weeks later we started hearing the noise again, & received the letter in the mail from Nissan. We took the car back in at 5993 & we were told we were indeed part of the recall and to bring the car back every 700 miles (are they serious ?) I placed several phone calls to Consumer Affairs & spoke to leslie the gatekeeper. She would not provide any answers either. As of late, we are in the same boat everyone else is in. Can not get any clear answers. There are options not let this multi-billion dollar company fool you... there are lemon laws to protect your interests. ******************************************************** do not settle for an engine replacement below are some options for getting Nissan to replace your car entirely or re-purchase the vehicle ********************* contact all of the following agencies and file complaints, we have. Better business bureau @ 800-955-5100 (they have a website too) Texas dept of transportation (contact your specific state) Consumer Affairs (national), states attorney general, all of these services provide arbitration for you either at no charges are for a nominal fee. They will negotiate a re-purchase or replacement for you.

- Cibolo, TX, USA

Aug 282006

Altima 4-cyl

Excessive oil consumption on my new 2006 Nissan Altima. I purchased the car in March 2006, received recall notice informing me to check oil every 700 miles due to a defect. I immediately checked the oil only to find my engine contained no oil. Brought to Nissan dealer who refilled engine. Car has been brought back 4 times for low oil. Nissan corporation has not helped and several of these vehicles have caught on fire according to news reports. Nissan has not contacted me since April when they sent notice telling me that a fix would be in and I would be contacted within 60 days. It is dangerous to the thousands of customers who has purchased these vehicles to be driving them long distances. I drive several thousand miles a month with work and am being inconvenienced due to this along with putting my safety at risk.

- Waldorf, MD, USA