CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Nissan Altima has a trend of engine problems, both in our data & definitely in the NHTSA's complaint data as well.

Excessive oil consumption is the main problem reported by owners. Nissan did a recall back in 2006 for oil consumption due to bad piston rings, but many owners report to us that the recall didn't fix the problem.

The dealer only had to check the oil consumption rate. Typically 1 qt per 1,000 miles is "acceptable" per OEM standards ... that's a lot of oil!

2. replace crankshaft sensor (1 reports)
2006 Nissan Altima engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Altima:

2006 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Mar 312015

Altima S 2.5L

My service engine light is now on. Same time the engine started to jerk.

- , Macon, GA, USA

Feb 172011

Altima 2.5L

Nissan had a call on the 2006 Nissan Altima and when I had the diagnostic done on my car which cost me $42, I called Nissan being that there was a recall and I was advised my specific vin number did not make the recall list! If I'm having the same issue as a recall why is my car treated any differently than another? This was my first Nissan and it definitely annoys me and I doubt I will be purchasing another Nissan again!!!!!

- , Richmond, VA, USA