CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Nissan Altima has a trend of engine problems, both in our data & definitely in the NHTSA's complaint data as well.

Excessive oil consumption is the main problem reported by owners. Nissan did a recall back in 2006 for oil consumption due to bad piston rings, but many owners report to us that the recall didn't fix the problem.

The dealer only had to check the oil consumption rate. Typically 1 qt per 1,000 miles is "acceptable" per OEM standards ... that's a lot of oil!

2006 Nissan Altima engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Altima:

2006 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Feb 082011

Altima 4-cyl

On several occasions my car as suddenly cutoff, while driving!!!! luckily, nobody was ever physically hurt. Mentally and emotionally it scared the crap out of several people, including myself. While on the expressway I've started to notice my car automatically slowing down after a certain speed, without me even touching the brakes. For awhile I stopped getting on the expressway, in fear of my car completely stopping with cars driving behind me at a faster pace. Also, at 55 + miles/hr my tires start to wobble and there's a scrubbing noise with the wobble sometimes. It feels like my back tires are about to fall off. I've bought 3 sets of tires already, and tomorrow will be my 4th set. This is ridiculous and very unsafe!!!!! please help me, thanks.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Jun 222006

Altima

I purchased my 2006 Nissan Altima SE-R around 4/18/2008 with around 34,000 miles. A few days later, I noticed the clutch pedal was sticking down to the floor and wouldn't come back up. Before I could take it to the dealer, the car clutch gave up on me and had to get it tow to the dealer. Dealer then replace the clutch ($1000) after a few days, the clutch pedal was still sticking to the floor, so I took it back to the dealer. Dealer had the car for a few hours and then called me to say it was done (fix) after that, the car was fine for a while. A month ago, around 5/15/2010, clutch pedal started to stick to the floor again and wouldn't come up. I called a mechanic and he explained to me over the phone that most likely it's the master cylinder or slave that went out and needs replacement. Per this link ---> www.nissanforums.com/Altima-SE-R/112659-clutch-master-cylinder-trouble.html too many people are having the same issue and the Nissan dealers are pretty much saying that there's nothing it can be done, and on my opinion, this is a safety issue that needs to be fix. Nissan (mechanics) should know their cars and be able to have good judgment and say if something needs attention instead of telling us (customers) everything is fine, when is not.

- San Diego , CA, USA

Mar 282009

Altima

The vehicle is slow in changing gears.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Nov 172009

Altima 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while at a traffic light the vehicle accelerated on its own with his foot on the brake pedal. The failure has occurred once since he purchased the vehicle. The dealer stated that they didn't have anyone else file a complaint about the failure. No repairs were made to date. The failure mileage was 36831 and the current mileage was 37600.updated 03/12/10. Updated 09/21/10

- Greensburg, PA, USA

Oct 092006

Altima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. While driving long distances between 60-70 mph, the vehicle surges when it comes to a complete stop. The failure occurred ten previous times and was taken to the dealer each time. The contact was informed that the vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred one month later. He has become so used to the failure, that he can feel it before it actually occurs. He applies the brakes 30 feet behind other vehicles to avoid a rear end crash. The contact must also shut off the vehicle to solve the failure on his own. The most recent failure occurred while his wife was exiting the vehicle. The failure mileage was 200 and current mileage was 11,500.

- Manchester , NJ, USA

Nov 072007

Altima 6-cyl

I was pulling into a parking space in front of the building where I work. I had my foot on the brake and the car accelerated and went over the curb, it accelerated a second time and sped between two trees, then between a tree and building and ended up facing the opposite direction of the parking spot on the sidewalk in front of the building. The car basically did a full "U" from the parking spot to the sidewalk. My feeling is that I had the wheel turned to the right to park in the parking spot and did not have time to straighten the steering wheel so the car continued to go to the right, hence the "U". the driver side air bags went off. I had on several occasions experienced the car hesitating when I would accelerate after stopping at a stop sign or light. The car would hesitate and then resume at a normal speed. Once the car resumed speed, the car seemed fine.

- Eagan, MN, USA

May 122006

Altima 4-cyl

Speedometer is off by as much as 10 miles per hour.

- Egg Harbor Twp., NJ, USA

Jul 212006

Altima 4-cyl

The contact stated while traveling 75 mph on a highway and depressing the brake, control of the vehicle was lost. The vehicle would not slow down and spun sideways. When the vehicle finally came to a complete stop, it was facing the traffic. The vehicle was driven to the shoulder of the highway and then to the contact's residence. An appointment has been made with the dealer to inspect the vehicle on 7/31/06.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Apr 172006

Altima 4-cyl

I was in the process of pulling into a driveway and parking my car, when all of a sudden the car accelerated. I had my foot on the brake. The car continued to pick up speed. I hit my friends house. I put the car in park to stop the car. Their was damage to my car, my friends garage, the car in the garage, a freezer, and a brick wall. My car took on a life of its own. I felt I had no control over the car. On several occasions, when I would be at a complete stop, and would go to take off, the car would hesitate, then all of a sudden it would take off at approximately 55-65 miles per hour. I thought this was just something the car was set up to do. I feel that's what happen to my car that day. My car was only 5 months old.

- Lafayette, LA, USA