CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Nissan Altima has a trend of engine problems, both in our data & definitely in the NHTSA's complaint data as well.

Excessive oil consumption is the main problem reported by owners. Nissan did a recall back in 2006 for oil consumption due to bad piston rings, but many owners report to us that the recall didn't fix the problem.

The dealer only had to check the oil consumption rate. Typically 1 qt per 1,000 miles is "acceptable" per OEM standards ... that's a lot of oil!

7.5

2006 Nissan Altima fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Altima:

2006 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Jan 212007

Altima 4-cyl

My Nissan Altima SE 2006 has an issue with the gas cap is so tight that it is impossible to take it off without hurting yourself. Most of the time I need to get the gas station attendant to remove it and he also has a hard time. On Sunday I tried to get some gas and the gas cap wouldn't come off at all. Monday the Nissan dealership tells me that because of the plastic and spring design they have a tendency of braking and yet they replaced with the same type of gas cap. Today I tried to refuel and again I couldn't get the gas cap off and had to go back in to a different Nissan dealer. Why not just change the design so that it doesn't brake?

- Wimauma, FL, USA