CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Nissan Altima has a trend of engine problems, both in our data & definitely in the NHTSA's complaint data as well.

Excessive oil consumption is the main problem reported by owners. Nissan did a recall back in 2006 for oil consumption due to bad piston rings, but many owners report to us that the recall didn't fix the problem.

The dealer only had to check the oil consumption rate. Typically 1 qt per 1,000 miles is "acceptable" per OEM standards ... that's a lot of oil!

9.6

2006 Nissan Altima miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Altima:

2006 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Apr 072008

Altima 4-cyl

I once was told by bob bell Nissan that my vehicle was not on the recall list. And now 2 years later I receive a letter stating that my Nissan 2006 Altima is one of the recall vehicle on the list.and im contacting you for this reason.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jun 152006

Altima 4-cyl

I purchased a new Nissan Altima Apr 16 2006. On June 15 I received a letter from Nissan nth America saying there was a problem with Altima - they were losing oil too fast. I checked my oil and with 2950 miles it was empty. I towed the car to the dealer, who said the oil was black, the engine was no good, and it needs a new motor. I don't want a new motor, I don't want them to fix the car. I want my money back. The letter stated the problem could cause a fire if unchecked. The dealer has since reported that there was a 3 month period of production of these cars that are affected. Now they want me to have them fill up the oil, drive for another 700 miles and retest the car. This is unacceptable.

- Culver City, CA, USA

Jun 022006

Altima 4-cyl

I purchased a new 2006 Nissan Altima on May 27, 2006. I choose Nissan since I was a current owner and enjoyed the performance and reliability of my vehicle. After taking delivery of the vehicle, I read in the paper on June 2, 2006, that Nissan had ordered dealers to discontinue selling certain models of Altima and Sentra SE-rs for what was described as an oil consumption problem. The Altima affected were VIN numbers in the range of 1N4al11D16-C174681 through 1N4al11D16-C231328, which applies to my vehicle.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Jun 062006

Altima

I purchased a 2006 2.5 S Nissan in good faith. I am now being told that as long as the oil changes are always current I will not have a problem with the car blowing up. I am a 25 years old young woman with a child, and I am not willing to take that risk. Of course I will change my oil, but that is not the point. The point is that there is a defect in this car causing it to explode. I tried talking to some one at your car safety commission and was told that until the car blows up, there is nothing that can be done. Well I can't come back from the grave and have it fixed. I can't believe that you all are willing to let someone die before reacting on such a serious problem.

- Hephzibah, GA, USA