CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Nissan Altima has a trend of engine problems, both in our data & definitely in the NHTSA's complaint data as well.

Excessive oil consumption is the main problem reported by owners. Nissan did a recall back in 2006 for oil consumption due to bad piston rings, but many owners report to us that the recall didn't fix the problem.

The dealer only had to check the oil consumption rate. Typically 1 qt per 1,000 miles is "acceptable" per OEM standards ... that's a lot of oil!

2006 Nissan Altima seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Altima:

2006 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

May 082009

Altima

My wife was in a mva on 05/08/09. Her 2006 Nissan Altima was in a crash at approx. 30 mph. It has $7800 plus in damage. It was a front end crash. The airbag did not deploy. She was thrown into the windshield & has suffered a concussion, doctors say maybe tba, bruised chest, abdomen, facial bruising, and major knee injuries. Her seatbelt also did not hold. The car had never been involved in any accidents.

- Searcy , AR, USA

Apr 172006

Altima 4-cyl

I purchased a new 2006 Altima 4/17/06. The passenger air bag light illuminates intermittently when my 110 lb daughter is in the passenger seat. We took my car in for a new motor (it's a recalled engine oil problem car) and told the dealer about the problem, they said they tested it and could find no fault. When I picked up my car I showed them what happens when my daughter is in the passenger seat, they said they'd look into it with Nissan. 4 weeks later the dealer can only offer 'bring your daughter in to sit in another Nissan to see if we can create the same problem'. they will not fix it until I bring myself, my car and my daughter in with the car, even though they identify it is a safety issue. Meanwhile, my daughter is not allowed in my car until this issue is resolved fully.

- Culver City, CA, USA

Jul 042006

Altima 4-cyl

: the contact stated when the vehicle was started the driver's airbag light illuminated intermittently. Later while driving 55 mph on normal road conditions, the passenger air bag light also illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealership where an appointment was scheduled to replace the air bag sensors. However, the parts were unavailable to perform the repair and another appointment was scheduled for August 21, 2006. The contact expressed this incident as a safety problem therefore a request was made for a rental car until the parts become available. The request for a rental car was denied by the manufacturer.

- Oceanside, NY, USA

Oct 112005

Altima 4-cyl

I was traveling on the highway about 40 mph, when another vehicle made a left hand turn in front, causing me to have a head on crash. Driverside air bag operated prefect. Right front airbag did not deploy nor the right seat belt lock causing passenger to hit front dash.

- Galloway, NJ, USA